$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
49.1% of Goal | left

Support:

Ratiba Cherif
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Hello all,

I have a board game idea and need help fine-tuning theme and ironing out the game mechanics.

The idea and current thoughts in a nutshell:

- OBJECTIVE: build capacity of international development workers in project design, monitoring and evaluation.

- AUDIENCE: development workers in developed and developing countries. Some with very low capacity. So needs to be simple to make sense to the latter while not being too boring for the former.

- USE/LENGTH:The game will mostly be used in training rooms and length should be flexible. In it's most basic form it could be used in 1h to 1h30 training session, it can also be used for a half-day training or be a road map for a 3 days training. What will change is the depth of the actions and activities that will be required to advance.

- THEME: not sure I got this right (from reading threads on BGG) but I'd like it to be collaborative where players need to work together and negotiate to achieve the goal of having an impact.

Since it's a training game it will need to follow some sort of project cycle format(see attached file. It will include exercises or reflection session (for eg: guided through a laminated reflection sheet) at different stages of the game.

If possible I'd like it to be generic but have card decks that are specific to sectors (education, health, peacebuilding etc.)

- MECHANICS: Again not super clear but here are some that I think could be used here:

Pen & paper: This mechanic will be used in many instances, papers may be frameworks to complete or monitoring tools to develop or flipchart to map a community or stakeholders etc.

Action or card drafting: This mechanisms is key as when implementing a project, team members will always have to make choices of the actions they will take when faced with an issue or at specific stages of the process. Issues can include: partner pulls out or changes interest, office burns, critical project staff leave, host country blocks project for a reason or another…

Simulation : players model actual situations

- PLAYERS: (not sure how many yet) will have roles (donor, project manager, stakeholder, M&E officer etc...)

- PRODUCTION: Probably in US as quantity will be low to start. Will use the game to support the trainings that I will run and sell it. My vision is to market it in different ways:
a) Basic/generic game
b) Advanced game (with laminated sheets, pens etc)
c) Game (basic or advanced) + Sector card decks

- PUBLISHING: Not totally clear on that either. I think I will self-publish the basic version and fundraise or partner with organisations for the advanced version and sectoral card decks.

I think I am going to leave it at that and really look forward to thoughts and suggestions for partnerships.

Cheers,
Ratiba

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at Bay Area Regional Planner.

Perhaps this game gives you some ideas what you could do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ratiba Cherif
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Thanks. I'll look into it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.