Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, a rule book written by somebody who knows how to write a rule book? Because it seems like if the rules that came with the game got their paragraph randomly shuffled though the book. I would need to reoder and rewrite the rules to understand how to play.

Yes, I saw a rule video but still, you generally want to know all the details from the rule book, while video gives an overview.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Slotten
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Go to the Momentum Volsk website and download the rulebook for Fell Fire Forge. I haven't read through it but it looks a LOT better. The original rulebook was nasty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr M
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You may have seen this already, but this video helped to solidify my understanding of the rules even more. I thought they weren't that bad, but as you say... there was a bit of flipping-back-and-forward involved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_qJQCgzubo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The rule book is better, they here is still no standard combat rules, only combat examples.

In the video they say there are 2 combat rounds which was for me a bit weird because it would be almost impossible for 2 units to NOT kill each other, but I don't see this anywhere in the rules.

The adjacency of units that sometimes trigger auto battle and sometimes requires an action to fight is also very nebulous due to the lack of combat rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Slotten
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The way I've been playing is:

During the movement step, if any units are touching face to face, or end up touching face to face due to movement, there is an automatic battle.

If for some reason both units survive, the phasing player can use his unit action to attack, causing another battle, hence two attacks in a single turn.

I do know what you mean about the 2 combat rounds though. I seem to remember that from when I first learned the game back in May, but it's so difficult to keep straight in my mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe the 2 combat round is due to how you explained it. 1 combat round after movement and one combat round if triggered by an action.

If I understand you explanations correctly, if a unit stop directly adjacent to an enemy without moving into the unit, a battle will occur anyway. But they will not get the +1 bonus for smashing into the enemy.

Also apparently, you cannot range attack at 1, even if your card say Range LInear 1-3 because all adjacent battles cound as melee. They should have written 2-3 to be less confusing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Slotten
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
larienna wrote:

If I understand you explanations correctly, if a unit stop directly adjacent to an enemy without moving into the unit, a battle will occur anyway. But they will not get the +1 bonus for smashing into the enemy.

Exactly. At least that's how I understand it.

Hmmm, I still struggle with the range mechanic. I need to look that one up again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Gilberg
United States
Norman
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skslotten wrote:
The way I've been playing is:

During the movement step, if any units are touching face to face, or end up touching face to face due to movement, there is an automatic battle.

If for some reason both units survive, the phasing player can use his unit action to attack, causing another battle, hence two attacks in a single turn.

That's incorrect. Page 8 of the rules has what you are looking for under "Infinite Cyclical Combat." Two exchanges every Move Units step (if the unit as movement of 1 or greater) and two exchanged every Open Phase.

Combat against castles is only one exchange, though. That's stated in a one-sentence paragraph on page 9.

From teaching this game and repeatedly going through the rulebook, I think all the rules are in there. It's just a matter of trying to find them, which isn't an easy task.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Gilberg
United States
Norman
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That said, the rules for Fell Fire Forge do not say there are two exchanges of combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I'll stick to the Fell Fire Forge Rules because it makes no logical reasons to have multiple engagement as most units kill each other in one engagement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.