Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Hamilton
United Kingdom
Stockport
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played many many games and status cards seem to be the key. The question is which status cards are the best.

The more I think about it the more I am coming round to Rationing being the single best card in the game. It allows the UK to be massively flexible and to burn faster through the deck without having to suffer much if any pain.

The bug with a shuffle letting you play say Enigma twice in three turns is not IMO significant to this argument. I would be more than happy to have rationing with the various fixes proposed and would still consider it a fantastic status card. So much so that in the game I am currently playing online I didn't even bother rationing Enigma (partly because I didn't realise I could and partly because the reallocate resources shuffle, draw again bug had not crossed my mind).

There are some great combos of statuses such as Bias for Action and Blitzkrieg but as a single card I think Rationing is the best, closely followed by Rosie the Riveter.

What do other people think and why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Drog
United States
Ponte Vedra Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree that Rosie and Rationing are the best in base game due to two things: the recursion aspect and the fact that Ally statuses have no way of being nuked, unlike Enigma can to any of Germany statuses
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Schulzetenberg
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I quite like Rosie, as the US will never have an imbalanced hand. Blitzkrieg is also fantastic, even though it rarely stays out because of Enigma.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witch Lord
msg tools
mbmb
I agree. Rationing is totally my top pick as well.

I also love War Bonds in the AH expansion. Especially in a combo with Victory Gardens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Croquet
France
flag msg tools
mb
It may not be the best status card in the game, heh, it's probably not even the best Soviet Status card, but getting Women Conscripts in y starting hand with USSR always brings warmth to my bolshevik heart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bakija
United States
flag msg tools
Q: Are we not men?
mbmbmbmbmb
In general, you got:

-Rationing: For the reasons you describe. It allows the UK to play Bomber Command over and over again in the end game, which regularly wins games. And with the Reallocate Resources reshuffle, it is stronger than it was originally intended.

-Rosie the Riveter: Allows the US, which can freely slow play anyway, cycle through their robust deck quickly and get the cards they need for any particular situation.

-Women Conscripts: Lets the Soviets survive forever.

As noted above, I'd also say Blitzkrieg, except, well, it gets killed really fast most of the time which really limits its utility...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witch Lord
msg tools
mbmb
bakija wrote:
In general, you got:

-Rationing: For the reasons you describe. It allows the UK to play Bomber Command over and over again in the end game, which regularly wins games. And with the Reallocate Resources reshuffle, it is stronger than it was originally intended.

-Rosie the Riveter: Allows the US, which can freely slow play anyway, cycle through their robust deck quickly and get the cards they need for any particular situation.

As noted above, I'd also say Blitzkrieg, except, well, it gets killed really fast most of the time which really limits its utility...

No love for War Bonds, eh?

IMHO it's a lot better than Rosie the Riveter, in that it's more reliable. The US can have an endless supply of base cards, any time they need one.
Combo with Victory Gardens and you can basically turn any one card in your hand into a Land Battle/Build Army/Build Navy/Sea Battle/Deploy Air Force. Whenever you want, as often as you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Croquet
France
flag msg tools
mb
bakija wrote:
In general, you got:

Women conscripts strongest effect is not the infinite Build Army imo (that may be more the case with Air Marshall). It allows you to discard all your build armies (but one, obviously) to go fish for useful cards or to fuel hungry status cards like Defense of the Motherland.

Blitzkrieg can be a game changer and is the Public enemy #1 for Enigma so whenever I can I like to bait Enigma with other strong statuses. It does not work very well with experienced players though.

I don't know most of the AH expansion cards so I can't say if some of them seem powerful. What do War Bonds and Victory Gardens do for instance?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witch Lord
msg tools
mbmb
Shoum wrote:
I don't know most of the AH expansion cards so I can't say if some of them seem powerful. What do War Bonds and Victory Gardens do for instance?

War Bonds:
War Bonds wrote:
When you Reallocate Resources, you may take a card from your discard pile instead of your Draw deck.

Victory Gardens:
Victory Gardens wrote:
The United States only has to discard 1 card from its hand to use Reallocate Resources.

---------------------------------------------------

Shoum wrote:
Women conscripts strongest effect is not the infinite Build Army imo (that may be more the case with Air Marshall). It allows you to discard all your build armies (but one, obviously) to go fish for useful cards or to fuel hungry status cards like Defense of the Motherland.

Good point I guess that makes it doubly powerful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bakija
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Witch Lord wrote:
No love for War Bonds, eh? ;)

IMHO it's a lot better than Rosie the Riveter, in that it's more reliable. The US can have an endless supply of base cards, any time they need one.
Combo with Victory Gardens and you can basically turn any one card in your hand into a Land Battle/Build Army/Build Navy/Sea Battle/Deploy Air Force. Whenever you want, as often as you want.

Well, unless you also have Victory Gardens in play, it is only gonna see minimal use, due to the card cost. I mean, yeah, if you have *both* in play, you get to go nuts. But having both in lay seems like a reasonably unlikely situation. Unless, of course, you have Rosie the Riveter in play :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hamilton
United Kingdom
Stockport
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bakija wrote:
Witch Lord wrote:
No love for War Bonds, eh?

Well, unless you also have Victory Gardens in play, it is only gonna see minimal use, due to the card cost. I mean, yeah, if you have *both* in play, you get to go nuts. But having both in lay seems like a reasonably unlikely situation. Unless, of course, you have Rosie the Riveter in play :-)

I have seen both in play and it is impressive but it is also a combo not a single card.

Combo wise with the expansions if the Germans can get Bias for Action, Blitzkrieg and Landkreuzer in place (which I have managed) then the Allies are in for a world of pain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bakija
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hammy wrote:
I have seen both in play and it is impressive but it is also a combo not a single card.

That was my point. War Bonds is ok by itself, but not spectacular. I think Victory Gardens by itself is better than War Bonds is by itself. But I'd still rather than Rosie the Riveter in play than either of the other two, singly speaking.

Quote:
Combo wise with the expansions if the Germans can get Bias for Action, Blitzkrieg and Landkreuzer in place (which I have managed) then the Allies are in for a world of pain.

Well, sure. Except that Blitzkrieg is going to get Enigmaed as soon as it hits the table...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Derekx
France
flag msg tools
mb
I think you're right.

Those cards are good at the beginning of the war.
For me, the perfect Germany cards, at the beginning, it's Planification with Blitzkrieg or Bias for action.

With this statement, we can propose a topic about the best first hand with each country.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.