Subject: Finally, some recognition? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven Ramina
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Tuesday, the 10th of Space

I wake up and begin dreading the idea of getting up and putting on my battle suit. After lying in bed for a few minutes, I check my phone and realize it is Elon Musk day, a day held sacred on our home planet of Trump, LLC. Finally, a day off. To celebrate, I decide to fire up my bot friend; and, as she boots, I put on my robe and wizard hat. Alone time is hard to come by on the ship.

Suddenly, I hear yelling from the central reactor room. My space buddy, Admiral Nelson, is performing visual confirmation and sees various threats heading toward the ship. I guess I won’t get that relaxing day off after all. We all meet in the computer room to assess the threat to our ship.

As we are talking, we see that a meteorite is coming right toward the ship’s computer room. I quickly woggle the mouse to get the computer systems running. The team begins to fan out, and I find myself alone in the computer room with Meteor McDonough. After firing the central laser to take care of the meteorite, I realize that Meteor McDonough has not done anything. He is just standing there, watching in confusion. I decide to get out of there as quickly as possible, and head for the blue section of our ship.

As I go through the door into the blue section, I run into my friend, Space Blair. He falls over. After getting up, clearly flustered, he tells me that a plasmatic fighter is heading directly toward our blue section. Keeping my cool, I decide to head downstairs to man the bottom laser. Arriving downstairs, the reactor is aglow with energy; this is a comforting sight. As I ponder whether to use this time to take a nap or not, I hear Space Blair’s voice coming through my headset. Unfortunately, he gets cut off mid-sentence as our communication system goes down. I sit in silence. Finally, with the comm system fully functioning, we decide to begin firing the lasers. The reactor is quickly draining. Luckily, my weapon runs off a Tesla Powerwall connected to a Solar City panel system. I jump as a rocket suddenly launches. That must be Admiral Nelson. Ever since we watched “Hackers,” he has been learning how to access the computer system to control weapon systems remotely. I don’t think I can listen to that soundtrack one more time…

I pull energy over to the blue reactor before heading to the central reactor. Once here, I hear Gamma Ray Gilbert yelling for energy in the central reactor. Perfect timing. I pop one of our energy storage pods into the reactor, and wait for the praise. It never comes. No one ever realizes how much I do for this ship. I decide to take some turns off out of spite, hoping to make the most of the alone time that I missed out on earlier. Unfortunately, friend bot is still booting up; updates... I decide to play a game of solo space alert instead, having my ship destroyed in the second round. Bummer.

As I finish packing up the game, I notice the central reactor is beginning to act strangely. I hear word from Meteor McDonough that the reactor is unstable. Lucky for me, I recently decided to try my hand as a mechanic. I walk over to the control panel, and instantly know what I need to do. Thanks to my training, I am able to press the giant “B” button twice in a relatively short period of time. After doing this, I check the reactor. Still unstable. I wait around for a bit, then press “B” again. No problem.

I hear cheers from the rest of the cabin, I’m finally being recognized. Everyone begins heading my direction. A party, perhaps? I can hardly contain my excitement as everyone joins me in the central reactor room. I greet each person and get a passing “hey” in response as they head straight for the window. Space Blair pulls out a spyglass, increasing his ability to look out the window, mumbles something about extra points. I look too, because everyone else is doing it. Not sure what the big deal is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great read, thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Wells
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Awesome job, Steve.

For the record, much of Steve's writeup refers to the Space Alert expansion, in which everyone creates their own character and gains XP, hence the goofy names. Between base SA and New Frontier, we've probably put close to 100 games on my set.

-Space Doctor Wells
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Honore
France
Berzé la ville
flag msg tools
mb
Great time reading this, thanks !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wilmer
United Kingdom
Brandon
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for your achievement points

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.