$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 73.76

5,053 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
31.8% of Goal | 28 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Eternity» Forums » General

Subject: High cards are better? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So it looks like high cards are always better than low ones, whether you're using them to win the trick or to gain pledges (tokens). Is that correct?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems to be that way.
But that also means that you face the dilemma of whether to play them for their pledge value or for their trick-taking power....
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyril blondel
France
flag msg tools
Hi,
High cards can win the trick OR gain pledges, so you must choose.
If you have all the high cards, you can make the both, it's sure...but the other players can riposte because :
With the low ones, you can also take the pledge without trees, and the others players must play the trick.
So it's difficult to have the same number of trick and trees.
A player with lot of low cards can bother the other players because he can take pledge without risk, the others must take tricks...but no trees.
More, with lot of little pledge, you can change the trump and make high cards cut.
And, at the end, the player with low cards can win the turn with just the bonus point.
High card game and low card game must be played differently to have the maximum of point.
If you have high cards, you can take lot of tricks, but it don't seems that you make lot of points!
Cyril (Author of Eternity)
4 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cyril,

Thanks! That makes a lot of sense and I'd forgotten about the bonus points for taking the same number of tricks and pledges.

One other question, if you don't mind... why do the bonus points go up between rounds 1, 2, and 3. I see when playing to a certain point value, they don't. Is there any particular reason even if just playing 3 rounds, not to leave the bonuses the same for each round?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Hanf
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Butterfly0038 wrote:
why do the bonus points go up between rounds 1, 2, and 3. I see when playing to a certain point value, they don't. Is there any particular reason even if just playing 3 rounds, not to leave the bonuses the same for each round?

That's a standard game design mechanism. This way, even if you're quite behind on points going into the last round, it's still possible for you to win (it's just harder).

Whereas if the # of rounds is not limited, then you could catch up by winning multiple rounds.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WJ C
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
karlhanf wrote:
Butterfly0038 wrote:
why do the bonus points go up between rounds 1, 2, and 3. I see when playing to a certain point value, they don't. Is there any particular reason even if just playing 3 rounds, not to leave the bonuses the same for each round?

That's a standard game design mechanism. This way, even if you're quite behind on points going into the last round, it's still possible for you to win (it's just harder).

Whereas if the # of rounds is not limited, then you could catch up by winning multiple rounds.


but on the flip side, it doesn't feel satisfying after playing well in 2 rounds and all of a sudden you lose the game b/c someone just happen to do well on the 3rd round. each round is independent of each other, so I don't see why the bonus points should be different. maybe instead of changing the bonus points, you can give the last player a small advantage or something but going from 2 to 7 bonus points seem like a lot.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Hanf
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ruazn2 wrote:
karlhanf wrote:
Butterfly0038 wrote:
why do the bonus points go up between rounds 1, 2, and 3. I see when playing to a certain point value, they don't. Is there any particular reason even if just playing 3 rounds, not to leave the bonuses the same for each round?

That's a standard game design mechanism. This way, even if you're quite behind on points going into the last round, it's still possible for you to win (it's just harder).

Whereas if the # of rounds is not limited, then you could catch up by winning multiple rounds.


but on the flip side, it doesn't feel satisfying after playing well in 2 rounds and all of a sudden you lose the game b/c someone just happen to do well on the 3rd round. each round is independent of each other, so I don't see why the bonus points should be different. maybe instead of changing the bonus points, you can give the last player a small advantage or something but going from 2 to 7 bonus points seem like a lot.


Yeah, I agree in principle that if one does poorly for 2 rounds, then only a very good 3rd round should be able to overcome that.

But I haven't played Eternity yet, so I don't know yet whether the 2/4/7 harmony bonuses are tuned to your and my tastes.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There's also a variant in the rules that has the bonus be 3 points each round. However, that variant is tied to playing to a specific point total (normal) where only the player who score the most points that round gets any points (unusual).

I haven't tried the variant yet, but I was fine with the 2/4/7 bonuses for a first couple of plays. The plays have been in the 20 - 30 minute range, so not too long. Since everyone's been getting their feet wet, I think we've all appreciated not having to worry about the bonus till later. That said, after 5+ plays, I think I'm going to be playing the variant (or some variant of it).

On the original question in this thread, after two plays, I'm still not sure about the various strength of different hands. It really is an interesting game. Pledging with high cards commits you to two tricks, which is risky to do in advance, while pledging with the middle cards only commits you to one.

The one thing that's seemed difficult so far is planning what trump will be. Even if you're long-suited in something, if it's third on the hierarchy, pledging enough to make that thing trump is tough. Everyone else also wants to pledge for the tricks they're taking and they'll be pledging the suits they've got. So, with my wealth of experience (2 plays), I'm not sure how much players can control trump. FWIW, one play was 4-player and one was 3-player.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.