Subject: Messengers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Linda Long
United States
Graford
Texas
flag msg tools
"Maximize the distance between your own connected settlements" 2 gold for each hex in the path between your two connected settlements separated by the greatest distance"

How do you determine the greatest distance? Is the longest distance in a straight line between 2 settlements (whether you have settlements on those hexes or not)? If yes then wouldn't this also be the shortest path for figuring the gold?

If not how do you determine the greatest distance between two hexes?

Thank you,

Linda

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the rulebook:
Quote:
Consider only the shortest path between the 2 connected
settlements that are separated by the most distance, regardless
of whether the hexes in this path have settlements on them or
cannot be built upon. Include the hexes where these settlements
are located.

There's also a pretty good picture. You'll find on a hex map that any path that connects corners of a rectangle will give you the same count.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
shore_pk wrote:
"Maximize the distance between your own connected settlements" 2 gold for each hex in the path between your two connected settlements separated by the greatest distance"

How do you determine the greatest distance? Is the longest distance in a straight line between 2 settlements (whether you have settlements on those hexes or not)? If yes then wouldn't this also be the shortest path for figuring the gold?

Just start at one of the hexes, and (mentally) move one hex towards the destination on either axis, then repeat, until you get there. Keeping count of the number of hexes (and adding in the start and end hexes). If it's ever a straight line to the destination, at that point move straight there (counting the hexes); if you went further on the other axis you'd be going out of your way and so get the wrong answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linda Long
United States
Graford
Texas
flag msg tools
I'm still a bit confused. I don't understand how to determine which 2 settlements are the furthest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
shore_pk wrote:
I'm still a bit confused. I don't understand how to determine which 2 settlements are the furthest.

Looking at the board, guess which two of your settlements are farthest apart, and count the distance between them. Then if you have any other candidates, try those. I don't think I have a better system for humans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
donaldx wrote:
shore_pk wrote:

Looking at the board, guess which two of your settlements are farthest apart, and count the distance between them. Then if you have any other candidates, try those. I don't think I have a better system for humans.

Find the two hexes on the board that are farthest apart, count the distance between them. Then, check if you have connected settlements in both of those hexes. If not, try the next farthest apart pair. Keep trying pairs until you come across one that you happen to have settlements in both hexes of, with a connection between them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
shore_pk wrote:

If I understand your confusion, this may help:

It's not that two specific hexes have multiple distances between them, and you want to find the greatest distance between those 2 hexes! That is not what this is about.

Rather, it's this:

Every specific pair of hexes has a unique well-defined distance between them. (Just like distances between points in ordinary space.)

Rather, you want to find 2 hexes (in a connected group) which happen to be very far apart, farther apart than any other 2 hexes in a connected group.

E.g. in this example there are 4 settlements connecting in a straight line:

A B C D

The distance between A & B = 1 (which is also the distance between B & C, and the distance between C & D).

The distance between A & C = 2 (which is also the distance between B & D).

The distance between A & D = 3.

There is no pair farther apart than 3. So 3 is the maximum distance between settlements in that connected group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linda Long
United States
Graford
Texas
flag msg tools
Ok...I think I understand.

I couldn't figure out if the farthest two connected settlements should be determined by the connecting path (which might be zig zagging or not straight in some way) or if the two farthest should be determined by a straight line.

If understand the two farthest is determined by a straight line between them not by the actual path length that might be zig zagging all over the place to join them. For some reason I thought it was the settlement path that determined farthest away and the straight shot (or as straight as it can be if the hexes aren't actually lining up straight between the two) between them was what I counted for score.

Sorry to be so dense. I can never see things like this in my head very well.

Love the game and love the new expansion, btw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.