23 Posts

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » News

Subject: The Curse of the Rougarou rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Dockery
msg tools
mb
New preview focusing on the upcoming POD scenario. Not much new info (it's mostly hyping up Arkham Nights as the preregistration deadline draws near), but we do get a few cards spoiled:

Spoiler (click to reveal)

as well as the size of the the new deck (62 cards) and, most interestingly, confirmation that you can insert it into an existing campaign as a "side story." Presumably, that means campaign rules, though it'll be interesting to see how they tempt you to add another scenario to your campaign (perhaps Ms. Esprit could be convinced to repay you for your services?) and how they make a risk worthy of the reward (we all know what happens when a werewolf bites you...).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Cox
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting that there's at least one player card. Pretty sure none of the equivalent LoTR packs have player cards, so here's another example of differences in the way the game's developing.

I wonder exactly how the adventure works as a 'side-story' - if it's an additional adventure to undertake on top of the rest of the campaign, then presumably there must be some way of ensuring it doesn't result in investigators being liable to become too strong? Either no xp given, or if xp is given then an increased/guaranteed weakness alongside that? It also strikes me, a side-story might be an opportunity to allow only sidegrades of level 0 cards, with no opportunity to spend on upgrades. I don't have a problem with the cost associated with those swaps, but some people haven't been keen on it, and if FFG have predicted that and consider what I described as balanced, this might be a way of addressing it in a limited fashion.

To note also in the piece, card 103 in the core set is revealed as a weakness (Stubborn Detective).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Martin
msg tools
mb
Knowing the Core Set card #103 is a player card suggests that there will be more than four general weakness cards to choose from. Numbers 100-103 were the only cards I needed to know about and this pretty much answers that.

Like the 'Alchemical Concoction' shown in 'The Dunwich Legacy' preview, I think the 'Lady Esprit' card is more of an objective ally (or in this case, asset) than a straight player card. Kind of like the 'Ranger of Ithilien' in 'The Massing at Osgiliath' scenario for LOTR: LCG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Cox
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah yeah, right you are - the icon at the top right isn't a class or neutral icon, it matches the encounter set icon on the two locations shown in the same pic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Cox
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it known what's indicated by the icon in the middle triangle directly below location names? Some locations have what looks like the outline of a foot, or an exclamation mark, while others are blank there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dockery
msg tools
mb
Hellicon wrote:
Ah yeah, right you are - the icon at the top right isn't a class or neutral icon, it matches the encounter set icon on the two locations shown in the same pic.

That said, she also has a cost, which is why I speculated that she might be a reward for completing the scenario (as well as an element of the encounter, like Lita Chandler). I think doing the scenario will be a gamble: You might get Lady Esprit, you might get some new Weakness related to the eponymous curse, or you might get both. You're at least risking trauma (for being defeated or drawing certain weaknesses), so I have to imagine you're offered some experience to compensate (and to keep XP-draining weaknesses, like Skids's, relevant), though perhaps not as much as a proper scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Baume
Australia
Lismore
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hellicon wrote:
Is it known what's indicated by the icon in the middle triangle directly below location names? Some locations have what looks like the outline of a foot, or an exclamation mark, while others are blank there.

To me it looks like a key hole and would represent that this is the "locked" side of the Location card, ie the side shown before any Investigator has moved there.

When the card is flipped over to reveal the number of Clue tokens,etc the Location is "unlocked" and hence the blank icon space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Rosenbaum
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sapper_D wrote:
Hellicon wrote:

To me it looks like a key hole and would represent that this is the "locked" side of the Location card, ie the side shown before any Investigator has moved there.

When the card is flipped over to reveal the number of Clue tokens,etc the Location is "unlocked" and hence the blank icon space.

Pretty sure this is the case. Note that the New Orleans location card has flavor text and no Clue token allocation, while the Trapper's Cabin location card has gameplay text and a Clue token allocation (in this particular instant - zero).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Cox
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahh good thinking, that seems very likely. Thanks both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
emart40x wrote:
Knowing the Core Set card #103 is a player card suggests that there will be more than four general weakness cards to choose from. Numbers 100-103 were the only cards I needed to know about and this pretty much answers that.

Like the 'Alchemical Concoction' shown in 'The Dunwich Legacy' preview, I think the 'Lady Esprit' card is more of an objective ally (or in this case, asset) than a straight player card. Kind of like the 'Ranger of Ithilien' in 'The Massing at Osgiliath' scenario for LOTR: LCG.

Cards 100-103 must be the physichal traumas mentioned in the rulebook (but never spoiled). You gain hose when you die to damage (rather than horror).

As for the lady esprit, I assume her back is the same as encounter cards, so she must be an ally that is placed out of play...and to brign her in someone must pay the cost. Indeed, lotr has many allies in the encounter deck, but none of them have a play cost

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob s
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was not clear to me. Will this pack be releasing with the base set and will it be released I assume the week after the 14-15th?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think there is a street date for it. The only thing that is certain is participants of the event will get a copy, and it will be made available for retail at a later date.

For LOTR the PODs do not come out for purchase right after the event. Sometimes it's a significant delay. There still isn't a retail release for the Fellowship deck from Gen Con for this year yet for LOTR for example and that was almost two months ago now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dockery
msg tools
mb
RandT wrote:
It was not clear to me. Will this pack be releasing with the base set and will it be released I assume the week after the 14-15th?

From the above link:

Quote:
Curse of the Rougarou will be made available for purchase through FFG's in-house Factory at a later date, but for now this adventure is an exclusive opportunity for our Arkham Nights 2016 attendees.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mplain
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Nushura wrote:
Cards 100-103 must be the physichal traumas mentioned in the rulebook (but never spoiled). You gain hose when you die to damage (rather than horror).

Cards #100-103 are weaknesses, either basic or acquired. The Rougarou article mentions that card #103 is a weakness enemy named Stubborn Detective.

Trauma is damage or horror that you start all subsequent scenarios with. Not clear if it permanently lowers your health/sanity, or if you can heal it during each scenario. Traumas are not cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Pontiff
United States
Houma
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool. I'm from south Louisiana and we even have a Rougarou Festival. Neat to some of our culture spreading out to others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mplain wrote:
Nushura wrote:

Cards #100-103 are weaknesses, either basic or acquired. The Rougarou article mentions that card #103 is a weakness enemy named Stubborn Detective.

Trauma is damage or horror that you start all subsequent scenarios with. Not clear if it permanently lowers your health/sanity, or if you can heal it during each scenario. Traumas are not cards.

You are right, i had the wrong keyword in there. Replace trauma with weakness in my last post

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Deimer
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nushura wrote:

As for the lady esprit, I assume her back is the same as encounter cards, so she must be an ally that is placed out of play...and to brign her in someone must pay the cost. Indeed, lotr has many allies in the encounter deck, but none of them have a play cost

After carefully watching Team Covenant video I managed to spot that Lita Chandler (from 1 scenarion) has the same card back as player cards. So it looks that she will be shuffled into the deck as any other Asset.

I suspect that the same is true for Lady Esprit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mplain
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Reid666 wrote:
After carefully watching Team Covenant video I managed to spot that Lita Chandler (from 1 scenarion) has the same card back as player cards. So it looks that she will be shuffled into the deck as any other Asset.

Excellent catch!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Martin
msg tools
mb
On the card for Act 2b ('Breaking the Barrier') it tells the player(s) to 'Put the set-aside Lita Chantler into play in the Parlor.' I take this to mean that she has been removed from any deck and set aside to be put into play when specified.

It is interesting to hear that she has a player card back, since her card number (#117) puts her in 'The Gathering' encounter set. She is 14/16 of that set.

Presumably, the player card back is so that she can be shuffled into a player deck for later scenarios (e.g. 'The Midnight Masks').
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dockery
msg tools
mb
The campaign log features a space for Acquired Assets, so I'm guessing that you can earn the right to include Ms. Chandler and Esprit in your decks based on your performance in their respective scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mplain
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmb
But what would you do with Lita Chantler if you drew her? She doesn't have a cost.

No, I think Late is only used in this one scenario. Lady Esprit though, yeah she might be a reward asset.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Deimer
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mplain wrote:
But what would you do with Lita Chantler if you drew her? She doesn't have a cost.

No, I think Late is only used in this one scenario. Lady Esprit though, yeah she might be a reward asset.

Well, Lita Chandler has a cost of exactly 0 resources, so considering that she has regular player deck card back, she can be probably played as any other asset/event.

She looks very powerful, so I am curious if campaing rules will let you keep her for the rest of campaing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Franzman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
Hey! You don't know where that cursor has been!
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh holy hell, I just learned about the rougarou on the New Orleans stay my wife and I just had this spring! This game is already just amazing to me, and now it hits home?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.