Subject: Proficiency Question (Minor Game 6 spoiler) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kyle Rowan
United States
California
flag msg tools
Question regarding the Defense Against the Dark Arts proficiency -

DADA allows you to take an attack and heart if a Dark Arts or Villain requires you to discard - easy enough. But what if the Dark Arts or Villain causes you to be Stunned, thus requiring you to discard part of your hand as a result - does this chain of effects trigger the ability, allowing you to take an attack token?

If yes, is it triggered for each card discarded or just for the event of being stunned?

So far we've played a house rule that you take one attack token for having been stunned (because you are discarding multiple cards simultaneously as a result of the effects of a Dark Arts card, even if it's not explicitly stated), and the heart clearly doesn't come into play, but I'm curious how others read this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would lean towards no when answering this because part of the effect of being stunned is that you have to discard any tokens on your board. When the developers answered a question about a different game effect and the answer implied that if a card triggers multiple effects, those effects happen simultaneously. Even if you do get an attack token for the discarding, the stun would force you to discard it.

The question about how often it would trigger is still a good question though. Tom Riddle can force multiple discards, so is DADA + Tom one trigger or multiple triggers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Goodnight
United States
Newmarket
NH
flag msg tools
davypi wrote:
I would lean towards no when answering this because part of the effect of being stunned is that you have to discard any tokens on your board. When the developers answered a question about a different game effect and the answer implied that if a card triggers multiple effects, those effects happen simultaneously. Even if you do get an attack token for the discarding, the stun would force you to discard it.

The question about how often it would trigger is still a good question though. Tom Riddle can force multiple discards, so is DADA + Tom one trigger or multiple triggers?

On top of that, it's being stunned that forces the discard, not the dark arts or villain effect.

As for Tom Riddle or similar effects, it says whenever an effect causes you to discard a card, so my inclination is to say you do get multiple triggers. I'm not 100% certain though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wolf
United States
Carlsbad
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
kerowan wrote:
Question regarding the Defense Against the Dark Arts proficiency -

DADA allows you to take an attack and heart if a Dark Arts or Villain requires you to discard - easy enough. But what if the Dark Arts or Villain causes you to be Stunned, thus requiring you to discard part of your hand as a result - does this chain of effects trigger the ability, allowing you to take an attack token?

If yes, is it triggered for each card discarded or just for the event of being stunned?

So far we've played a house rule that you take one attack token for having been stunned (because you are discarding multiple cards simultaneously as a result of the effects of a Dark Arts card, even if it's not explicitly stated), and the heart clearly doesn't come into play, but I'm curious how others read this.

The Defense Against the Dark Arts Proficiency does NOT trigger from the cards you discard as a result of being Stunned, because it specifically calls out Dark Arts Event or Villain Ability).

However, if you discard a card like Remembrall or Chocolate Frog because you were Stunned, you do generate those effects (except for gaining Health, which you cannot gain or lose once you are Stunned).

Andrew Wolf
Game Designer - USAopoly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wolf
United States
Carlsbad
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Darwins_Dog wrote:
davypi wrote:

On top of that, it's being stunned that forces the discard, not the dark arts or villain effect.

As for Tom Riddle or similar effects, it says whenever an effect causes you to discard a card, so my inclination is to say you do get multiple triggers. I'm not 100% certain though.

If you discard multiple cards to Tom Riddle's ability, Defense Against the Dark Arts will trigger multiple times.

Andrew Wolf
Game Designer - USAopoly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.