Alex Cannon
United Kingdom
Hassocks
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mint Tin 2016 Contest Thread

2-4 players 20-30 mins

It's the last day of summer and the AmuseMint Park is swelling with visitors! Ride the roller coasters, win a teddy, eat a hotdog: but whatever you do - have the most fun!

Components

1 Mint Tin
1 Rule sheet
41 Square Cards
3 scoring track cards
4 player pawns
8 player tokens
20 crowd tokens

In The AmuseMint Park, you will be walking around a crowded amusement park enjoying themselves in the most efficient way you can. There are lots of ways to have fun, and you'll have the choice of a couple of personal objectives to choose from. As the day goes by the crowds at first build and then fall, and finding the best time to ride a particular ride may be important.

Here's my current game setup for 4 players

I'm still taking my first steps in the game design world, so any feedback at all is greatly welcome.

UPDATE 3/10:

Have some rudimentary component files up here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3t6GBywOzgETXdQQ0dSbDJQWT...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Cannon
United Kingdom
Hassocks
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] The AmuseMint Park (Mint Tin 2016)
The AmuseMint Park

2-4 players 20 mins

It's the last day of summer and the AmuseMint Park is swelling with visitors! Ride the rollercoasters, win a teddy, eat a hotdog: but whatever you do - have the most fun!

Components

1 Mint Tin
1 Rulebook

41 Square Cards:
- 1 Entrance Card
- 10 Objective Cards (dark grey Objective and white Attraction)
- 30 Standard Cards (light grey Item and white Attraction)

3 score tracking cards
4 player pawns
12 player tokens
20 crowd tokens

The aim is to have to most fun points at the end of the game. The game consists of 6 rounds: each round players will use their actions to gain fun points by visiting and riding on the attractions, and buying food, drinks and souvenirs.

Game Setup.

Separate the entrance card and place on the table. Separate the 10 dark grey objective cards and deal them to the players.

Objective Cards:
2 player - 5 each.
3 player - 3 each.
4 player - 2 each

The park is made out of a grid of cards that make up the board. Take any leftover Objective cards and lay them north of the entrance. Shuffle the remaining cards to form the main deck and deal them out to the players

Standard Cards:
2 player - 15 each.
3 player - 10 each.
4 player - 7 each.

Any leftover cards are discarded to the main deck.

The cards must now be laid out north of the Entrance to form a grid of 24 cards. (See diagram.) The players complete the grid by laying 1 card attraction side up each in turn. Only 1 card may be adjacent to the Entrance card. All placed cards must be adjacent to at least one other.

The players must keep 1 Objective card in hand. Spare objective cards must be played to the grid. Once 24 cards have been laid all remaining item cards are returned to the main deck.

<INSERT SETUP IMAGE>

Example initial board setup

All cards in the main deck should be flipped over to the grey Item side and shuffled. These cards may be purchased by the players while at an Attraction with a matching symbol. Lay 5 cards out available for purchase. Replenish these cards up to 5 at the end of each player's turn.

Players get 3 tokens to track resources on the score tracking cards. They start with $10, 0 Nausea (N) and 0 "Fun Points" (FP).

Some of the more popular rides have a queue. At the start of the game there will be people rushing to get on these exciting rides, place a crowd token on the 5 orthogonally closest Attractions to the Entrance that have queues.

Each player now may lay their objective card in front of them. You must display your objective card in order to take advantage of any bonuses on them. The game is now ready to begin.

Start player

The start player is the person who most recently ate candy floss. On each subsequent round the start player moves one player to the left. The start player goes first in the Crowd and Action phases, and play continues to the left.

Each Round has two main phases: the Crowd Phase and the Action Phase.

Crowd Phase

In the crowd phase the players in turn add to or remove crowd tokens from the board. Crowd tokens may be placed in any empty place in a queue, or empty card without a queue.

Each player places or removes a crowd token until the required number is reached depending on the round:

Round 1 - Place 4 Crowd Tokens
Round 2 - Place 5 Crowd Tokens
Round 3 - Place 6 Crowd Tokens
Round 4 - Remove 4 Crowd Tokens
Round 5 - Remove 5 Crowd Tokens
Round 6 - Remove 6 Crowd Tokens

Action phase

Each player starts with 5 actions to use on their turn. An action can be used to:
Move one space orthogonally across the board (requires 2 actions if a crowd/player is present)
Move one space in a queue (requires 2 actions if a crowd/player is present)
Activate the action on a square - each action may only be used once per turn
Activate an item in their hand - food and drink can only be used once

Crowd tokens in an area make these actions more costly. If there is a crowd token on the square you’re moving to it costs 2 actions points to complete the move. Likewise if there is a crowd token on a space in the queue it cost 2 action points to advance onto that space. Player pawns also count as crowd tokens. If a space contains both a crowd token and a player pawn only 1 extra action is required.

Actions do not carry over and any unused actions at the end of the players turn are wasted. If moving on to a square with a queue you may enter the queue without spending an action.

Once a player has used all their actions or passed their turn ends. Once all players have had a turn move on the the next round.

Nausea

Some rides and foods give the players Nausea. Nausea inhibits the player by reducing the number of actions they can take. For every 10 points of nausea, the player loses one action on their turn, rounded down. This is calculated at the start of the turn. A player may spend 2 actions resting to reduce their Nausea level by 10.

Players with Nausea at the end of the game may have fun points deducted. For every 5 points of Nausea deduct 2 FP in end game scoring.

Game End

Once the six rounds are over the players add up their FP and deduct any penalties. whoever has the most FP is the winner! If there is a tie the player with the fewest points of nausea wins. If this is also tied the winner is the player closest to the entrance. If all of these are tied you share the victory.

Symbol Glossary

(R) - Rollercoaster
(F) - Fairground Ride
(L) - Landscape Tile
($) - Item
(D) - Drink
(Ψ) - Food
N - Nausea
FP - Fun Points

Co-operative Mode

The game can be played co-operatively or solo. Set the game up as a 4 player game with players each controlling one or more pawns. Draw 6 Objective cards and allocate one to each pawn, the remaining objective cards must all be played into the grid.

Players may play open with their objective and item cards showing. Items and resources may not be traded or transferred between pawns.

In order to win the game each pawn must score 10 points towards their objective before the end of round 6.

Difficulty:

The game difficulty can be modified by changing the number Objective cards drawn and number of crowd tokens laid in the game setup:

Easy - 0 Crowds - 8 Objectives
Medium - 3 Crowds - 6 Objectives
Hard - 5 Crowds - 4 Objectives

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Kenny
United Kingdom
Nr Godalming
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hiya - I'm only on my second contest so don't worry. Games need several iterations to get them right.

* A diagram of the different layouts for 2,3 and 4 players would be useful in the rules.
* Components misses out the objective cards.
* You have written the start player second twice in the rules.
* I'm not sure that I understand how the crowd phase works from your description in the rules.
* Action Phase should have a header.
* Move orthogonally across the board - how many spaces? One or as many as you'd like?
* Probably useful to separately detail each of the 4 different actions so you know exactly how to do each of them.

If you get files up next week I'll see if I can do a quick 2 player playtest to see how it feels.

Gavin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Cannon
United Kingdom
Hassocks
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gavken wrote:
Hiya - I'm only on my second contest so don't worry. Games need several iterations to get them right.

* A diagram of the different layouts for 2,3 and 4 players would be useful in the rules.
* Components misses out the objective cards.
* You have written the start player second twice in the rules.
* I'm not sure that I understand how the crowd phase works from your description in the rules.
* Action Phase should have a header.
* Move orthogonally across the board - how many spaces? One or as many as you'd like?
* Probably useful to separately detail each of the 4 different actions so you know exactly how to do each of them.

If you get files up next week I'll see if I can do a quick 2 player playtest to see how it feels.

Gavin

Hey Gavin thanks for your feedback - really helpful. I've tried to address them in the post above so hopefully it's a bit clearer now! I'll try and get some PnP files up ASAP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janice
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Just a quick question: would this work as 1 player competing against your previous score and perhaps a reference sheet of scores telling you how good your fun rating is?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Cannon
United Kingdom
Hassocks
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dravvin wrote:

Just a quick question: would this work as 1 player competing against your previous score and perhaps a reference sheet of scores telling you how good your fun rating is?

I've been toying with solo/co-op rules. Something like you play all 4 players and you must each score 5ish points on your objective. You could make it easier/harder with different numbers of crowd tokens going in/out each round but I'll have to crunch some numbers to make it a satisfying challenge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Cannon
United Kingdom
Hassocks
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are now some rudimentary components available - I'll try and make it look a bit nicer as time goes by

Link - https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3t6GBywOzgETXdQQ0dSbDJQWT...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Kenny
United Kingdom
Nr Godalming
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
AlexCannon wrote:
There are now some rudimentary components available - I'll try and make it look a bit nicer as time goes by

Link - https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3t6GBywOzgETXdQQ0dSbDJQWT...

Hi Alex,
Just had a quick look at your components and I could 80 tiles. Are these double sided and if so which sheet goes on the back of which?

Gavin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Cannon
United Kingdom
Hassocks
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahh yes I haven't made that clear. Page 1 and 2 are the front (grey/dark grey) and pages 3/4 are the backs (white) page 1&3 and 2&4 go together.

Would it be better to do 1&2 and 3&4? I wasn't sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Kenny
United Kingdom
Nr Godalming
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Its no problem either way as long as we know which front belongs to which back.

Gavin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janice
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
AlexCannon wrote:
Ahh yes I haven't made that clear. Page 1 and 2 are the front (grey/dark grey) and pages 3/4 are the backs (white) page 1&3 and 2&4 go together.

Yes please!! I just printed it the wrong way round using the work double sided printer!

Janice

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Cannon
United Kingdom
Hassocks
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dravvin wrote:
AlexCannon wrote:

Yes please!! I just printed it the wrong way round using the work double sided printer!

Janice

Oh no! Sorry! I've updated the PDF so it should be the right way now, and there's some placeholder art to give an idea of the theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janice
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Excellent! The placeholder art is a good addition.

I'll print it all it again today
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman L.
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
love the theme
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Cannon
United Kingdom
Hassocks
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Testing out a few balance factors - with the current rules there will only be 10 items available throughout the game, which limits those Objectives, and

A few changes might work:

Reducing the size of the park and moving more cards into the item deck.

Buffing the item objective cards to 2FP per item collected.

Making the market cards persistent (like a menu) OR having basic items you can buy at any time.

Making sure the Objective cards go into the park.

I'll try these ideas and update the rules accordingly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Cannon
United Kingdom
Hassocks
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Normiyagi wrote:
love the theme

Thanks Norman, hopefully I can do it justice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman L.
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Do you need any help with the artwork? I feel like whimsical black ink + watercolor style spot illustrations would be perfect and match the feel of what you currently have. I am happy to help if you are interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Cannon
United Kingdom
Hassocks
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Normiyagi wrote:
Do you need any help with the artwork? I feel like whimsical black ink + watercolor style spot illustrations would be perfect and match the feel of what you currently have. I am happy to help if you are interested.

I was planning on doing the artwork myself (more for the challenge than anything else really) but if it's something you'd like to do that would be great!

There are a lot of cards so maybe just do a few that take your fancy? I don't want you to feel like you have to do them all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Cannon
United Kingdom
Hassocks
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Introduced some Co-Op/Solo rules with a few different difficulty settings.

I'm considering overhauling the movement system so that for one action you move 2 spaces as standard or 1 if there's a crowd. I think this could make things more complicated in terms of working out which parts of the path can have crowds on.

The other option would be extra actions on a turn - as card actions can only be used once the other actions will have to be used for movement anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman L.
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
neat! I will do a sample one and post it here so you can look and decide whether or not the style would suit your game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Cannon
United Kingdom
Hassocks
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Update - I've reduced the effect of Nausea so that it doesn't feel so restrictive.

I'm toying with the idea of being able to use an action to move crowds around on a players turn. I originally decided against it to stop crowds just going back and forth all the time, and to allow a bit more long-term thinking so that players can plan a bit more accurately ahead of time.

I'm also thinking of having an entirely separate game mode where players build individual theme parks in order to attract different types of people to them. Not sure how it would work component wise (extra rulebook/character cards) but we'll see. If it's got legs it could be a nice two-for-one deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad you added co-op/solo rules!

Does that mean, if you play solo, that you play more than one character who is at the park?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Cannon
United Kingdom
Hassocks
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
I'm glad you added co-op/solo rules!

Does that mean, if you play solo, that you play more than one character who is at the park?

Yes. In the solo game you play all 4 players, and must score 10 points on each objective to win.

I'm still trying to balance the objectives because some are easier than others, hopefully after a few most play tests I'll do another update.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janice
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So glad three is a coop version. Looking forward to giving it a go
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Cannon
United Kingdom
Hassocks
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick update: removing the "Wallet" and "I H8 Rollers" from co-op play. Not sure if I'm going to remove them completely, replace them or just exclude. Will try and update the components soon.

"Roller Coaster Guide Book" should now be 3FP per (R)

The more I play the more I feel that the game needs streamlining. I might try and build an alternative to the action management and strip out Nausea which doesn't seem to add enough atm. Time is short though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.