Subject: Starting Bones? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dylan Phillips
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Those who can teach; those who can't go into administration.
badge
Buster Keaton, The Great Stone Face
mbmbmbmbmb
The rule book mentions the total number of bones by color including a certain number of starting bones (enough to give starting bones to all players in a five player game). The setup rules say to give out starting bones then put the rest of the bones in the bag.

Are you supposed to have all remaining bones in the bag even in a 2-4 player game or are you supposed to remove all 10 or 15 starting bones from the general supply regardless of player count?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gideon Stargrave
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a good question - bumping this question in the hopes that Scott or APE sees it.

I would ASSUME that you leave all of the remaining bones in the bag, but this definitely dilutes the ratio of Blue and White bones in games with less players. Also, you know what they say about assuming...

I am personally curious about this because I wanted to set aside the starting bones for each player [along with their meeple and score cube] in separate zip-lock baggies, but I didn't want to affect game balance by taking these bones 'out of play' in games with less than 5 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Almes
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I leave all the unused bones in the bag. You won't see any major difference in play. Or, if you want to pre-bag the starting bones for players, you won't break anything either. The bone ratio in the bag isn't sensitive enough to change the gameplay by doing it either way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gideon Stargrave
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick reply, Scott - you are a gentleman and a scholar.

I think I'll go ahead and "bag dem bones" just to make set-up faster - I'm a bit weird like that.

Thanks again for making this awesome game - Dinosaurs and Board Games, two great tastes that taste great together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.