Subject: Desert Fox Deluxe or wait for The Dark Sands rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jack Dillon
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a chance to pick up DFD by purchasing a used copy off a local gamer. Should I jump at the opportunity or wait until The Dark Sands is released sometime in '17?

I have played and somewhat enjoyed some of the Standard Combat Series games from MMP and have totally enjoyed Unconditional Surrender. Looking for a sleek, intuitive game that covers most aspects of the North African campaign. Is it Desert Fox Deluxe or The Dark Sands or perhaps something else. Any recommendations are appreciated.

Edit: changed MMP from GMT.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Friend
United States
Sierra Vista
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why wait? If it's a good price grab it and enjoy it now while you're waiting on the other. "Sometime in 17" could be January or it could be December.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Doran
United States
Columbia
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmb
You might find you like both. The original Desert Fox was long one of my favorite 5 games, and my favorite North Africa game. But I have, and enjoy 14 games on the subject. Now Desert Fox Deluxe is my favorite NA game and my favorite game. But I also am looking forward to Dark Sands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Conroy
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Coverage of the whole campaign including Tunisia was a big selling point for me. Will The Dark Sands do that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Johnson
United States
Seguin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can get DFD, I would grab it, I hear it has sold out or almost sold out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Friend
United States
Sierra Vista
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Who is doing The Dark Sands?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Dillon
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GMT is doing The Dark Sands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brown
United Kingdom
Stockport
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
Looking for a sleek, intuitive game that covers most aspects of the North African campaign.

Sorry but that is not DFD. There are a lot of moving parts in this game and it is difficult to comprehend how they fit together.

I have it and am ploughing through the rules with some difficulty, and non of it appears sleek or intuitive.

Also, no idea why this is described as 'delux' there is nothing delux about. Whilst there are a lot of maps, they are all standard and so are the counters. The game is crying out for a lot more play aids than it has. I know it is a magazine game, but it should not be described as 'delux'

Why is your friend selling it?

Despite what I write, if the price is OK I'd probably pick it up as you would always be able to sell this in the future if you didn't like it.

Regarding Dark Sands, difficult to comment, but the game system it is based on, Dark valley, went down very well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Friend
United States
Sierra Vista
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dndspeyside wrote:
GMT is doing The Dark Sands.
Yes, of course. Thanks. I remembered that after I posted that Ted Racier is doing it using The Dark Valley system. In that case it'll be a good one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thirtybrowns wrote:
Also, no idea why this is described as 'delux' there is nothing delux about. Whilst there are a lot of maps, they are all standard and so are the counters. The game is crying out for a lot more play aids than it has. I know it is a magazine game, but it should not be described as 'delux'
The deluxe part is that it combines three previously released (and well received) games into one package with some OOB and rules updates. It has nothing to do with embossed maps or self moving counters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Doran
United States
Columbia
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmb
achates wrote:
Coverage of the whole campaign including Tunisia was a big selling point for me. Will The Dark Sands do that?

As I recall, when Ted was discussing the game, it will not cover Tunisia or Torch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brown
United Kingdom
Stockport
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
thirtybrowns wrote:
The deluxe part is that it combines three previously released (and well received) games into one package with some OOB and rules updates. It has nothing to do with embossed maps or self moving counters.

Or play aids, or enough examples of play. More bare bones than delux
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Conroy
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I agree it could do with a lot more examples of play. Also the setup is inadequately described. I have spent a whole evening trying to work out how to set up the short Sonnenblume campaign, and how the event triggering works. The game looks like it will be great when I figure it out but it needs a lot more explanatory material.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Doran
United States
Columbia
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have found that some (not all) of my own questions are helped by reviewing the Support material provided online.

http://strategyandtacticsmagazine.com/site/wp-content/upload...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Knowing GMT you could be in for a loooong wait for Dark Sands.

Deluxe just means it is a double sized magazine game. Nothing more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.