19 Posts

Cthulhu Wars» Forums » Rules

Subject: They break through and unlimited battle. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alan Lobato
msg tools
mb
Can Yog Sothoth with the six books do this?
1) Summon Monster in enemy gate
2) Declare unlimited battle.

If so, is it valid to do so with, Ctulhu "Submerge", Black Goat "Avatar", and Yellow Singn "He who is not to be named"?

I know each ability is different, but want to make sure that we are using them properly

Thank you in advance for your time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Black
United States
Moraine
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes to all, as far as I know. If you use an action and end up in an area with an enemy, you may declare battle, so long as you can pay the 1 Power to initiate Combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is what makes unlimited combat so fun. Jump in and attack!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Lobato
msg tools
mb
Wow, thank for the quick reply. Can i do this?
- Start an unlimited battle in an area with an enemy gate.
-The result pains the enemy out of the area and i have a monster in the area.
-Recruit a cultist in the area and use an unlimited action to control the gate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron K
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes.

I will also note that your Hastur example has an additional action if desired, as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron K
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It may also be worth mentioning that the limitation is only one combat per zone.

One viable tactic is to start combat in one zone, get a pain result and then start combat in another zone. This could be a cycle that continues if you have the power and keep getting pained to zones with units. Crawling Chaos enjoys this especially if there are GOOs in the fight and Hunting Horrors on the map to help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Lobato
msg tools
mb
Why does Hastur can perform an aditional action?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Robinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
satanito wrote:

Because that's how "He Who Must..." works. Hastur moves, Yellow Sign takes another action (which can be nothing, and cannot be Screaming Dead).

If Yellow Sign has 6 spellbooks, he can also declare battle(s), and can always also move on or off gates.

Cheers,
Graham
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron K
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
therealbuserian wrote:
satanito wrote:

Because that's how "He Who Must..." works. Hastur moves, Yellow Sign takes another action (which can be nothing, and cannot be Screaming Dead).

If Yellow Sign has 6 spellbooks, he can also declare battle(s), and can always also move on or off gates.

Cheers,
Graham
Exactly this. Yellow sign has two Spellbooks that give an extra action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joan Bofill

Bellcaire d'Empordà
Girona
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
therealbuserian wrote:
satanito wrote:

Cheers,
Graham

Can it be nothing for both "He Who Must Not Be Named" and "Screaming Dead"? The text states you to take another action, not "you can then take another action". It seems a bit mandatory, not optional.

Also, can you perform unlimited actions between both main actions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joan Bofill

Bellcaire d'Empordà
Girona
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
satanito wrote:
Wow, thank for the quick reply. Can i do this?
- Start an unlimited battle in an area with an enemy gate.
-The result pains the enemy out of the area and i have a monster in the area.
-Recruit a cultist in the area and use an unlimited action to control the gate.

Sure thing. Also, you can declare combat, get pained to a new area, declare combat, get pained to a new area, declare combat, rince and repeat while the areas are different and you have enough power.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Robinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grifwl wrote:
Can it be nothing for both "He Who Must Not Be Named" and "Screaming Dead"? The text states you to take another action, not "you can then take another action". It seems a bit mandatory, not optional.

Yes, you can do nothing. The text is misleading, and hopefully being corrected for the next printing.

I believe you can take unlimited actions at any point on your turn, but not sure I've seen that actually spelled out...

Cheers,
Graham

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buckley
United Kingdom
Abingdon
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
therealbuserian wrote:
Grifwl wrote:

Yes, you can do nothing. The text is misleading, and hopefully being corrected for the next printing.

I believe you can take unlimited actions at any point on your turn, but not sure I've seen that actually spelled out...

Cheers,
Graham

ISTR that you can't do anything else between the two actions.

EDIT: Aha, found it: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/18554241#18554241
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Galliher-Miller
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind...
mbmbmbmbmb
So you can have unlimited battle even without all six spell books? If so we've been playing it all wrong lol. We treated battle as your action (paying 1 power) until you received all six spell books. I actually like the idea of unlimited battle as long as you have the power to do it! Man been playing for so long... my group is going to flip lol. Someone please correct me if I'm reading this wrong!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron K
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Jacobzymm wrote:
So you can have unlimited battle even without all six spell books? If so we've been playing it all wrong lol. We treated battle as your action (paying 1 power) until you received all six spell books. I actually like the idea of unlimited battle as long as you have the power to do it! Man been playing for so long... my group is going to flip lol. Someone please correct me if I'm reading this wrong!
Six spellbooks are required for unlimited battle. At that point, initiating battle still costs one power. Pretty much everything mentioned in this thread assumes six spellbooks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario T
msg tools
Quote from the linked thread:

existoid wrote:
When you are using either of Yellow Sign's double Action spellbooks, your possibilities are this:

0 to infinite Unlimited Actions
Screaming Dead's KiY movement portion
Second Common or Unique Action (per Screaming Dead)

I think that this question from the OP possibly could be an FAQ, to say that the word "immediately" precludes the use of an Unlimited Action in between the two.

So in this case, can the second action be a battle even though it's an unlimited action now? i.e. Can I call a regular battle instead of the now upgraded battle action and then call an unlimited battle?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector-Xavier de Lastic
Greece
flag msg tools
mrnesss wrote:

existoid wrote:
When you are using either of Yellow Sign's double Action spellbooks, your possibilities are this:

I think that this question from the OP possibly could be an FAQ, to say that the word "immediately" precludes the use of an Unlimited Action in between the two.

So in this case, can the second action be a battle even though it's an unlimited action now? i.e. Can I call a regular battle instead of the now upgraded battle action and then call an unlimited battle?

Oh yes, most definitely!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buckley
United Kingdom
Abingdon
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrnesss wrote:

existoid wrote:

Even though you have access to unlimited battle, you still retain your normal battle action too, so the second action counts as one of those, and then you can still call unlimited battle/s (not in the same area/s of course).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario T
msg tools
Ah, if the unlimited battle is a new action instead of an upgrade on the regular battle that makes sense!

Thanks for clearing things up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.