9 Posts

Eldritch Horror» Forums » General

Subject: Imaginations needed to play? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lewis
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some people connects the dots that the game mildly provide with no problem, especially when you are familiar with Lovecraft's work. For me, it's a hit or miss kind of experience. But when the dots connect, whooo boy, the game is ALIVEEEE!!!

I want to know how many of you enter the game with brain ready to paint the scenes behind the dice rolls tests, how combat plays out in your mind's eye, or how your imagination conduct a story of an epic journey just from the letters written on the cards?

Give me all the juicy details, I love a good story.goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really depends on your gaming group. At the start of it, I find the group is usually more willing to engage (we roleplay our characters a little bit, even read out their backstories out loud in character).

In the middle of the game, if we're doing okay and the stars line up, then the stories can be funny, otherwise sometimes people just despair a bit when things are going really badly.

Towards the end, I find as the game is running long, people just want to get it over with (if losing/winning) or find out if we'll make it (if its a close game) and start just looking at the attribute test.

Some good stories have been had though. We've played games where we ran into the same gate encounter card multiple times, probably losing the dice roll terribly and we started joking that the wizard Mu (we thought it was a hilarious name) was the real villain.

We've also had a player just sit in San Francisco as the Charlie Kane the whole game buying up assets and we joked he was involved in slave trade and human trafficking.

Another time, one player (probably playing the librarian) kept running into the perfect encounter cards to craft a narrative of her continuously seeking out bookstores (a lot of the generic city encounter cards have these).

Of course getting destroyed by the difficult mythos that makes you lose like 1 of everything was also absurd but also kind of hilarious.

In a solo game, one time I accidentally let a rumor fail opening all gates instantly, then immediately after, the mythos effect had me carry a monster surge on each gate that opened that turn. The whole world was populated with monsters in an instant and I had to forfeit. Very memorable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
I agree that the game is generally too long to craft elaborate stories for the events occurring in the game. By the end of a game we are typically not even reading the longer encounters out in full, just rolling for the tests... not because we don't like the theme or flavour or don't want to use our imagination, but just because 2 and a half hours is about our threshold for this game before we start to get tired. Longer than that and, as the poster above said, whether we're winning or losing we want to get on with closing it out. That is especially true for me as I am the one who reads all of the cards so it can become taxing for my throat if it goes too long.

For me, playing this game with people who want to roleplay, blow on their dice for a minute before rolling them or any of those kinds of game lengthening activities would test my patience and I wouldn't have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
High Flying Bird wrote:
I agree that the game is generally too long to craft elaborate stories for the events occurring in the game. By the end of a game we are typically not even reading the longer encounters out in full, just rolling for the tests... not because we don't like the theme or flavour or don't want to use our imagination, but just because 2 and a half hours is about our threshold for this game before we start to get tired. Longer than that and, as the poster above said, whether we're winning or losing we want to get on with closing it out. That is especially true for me as I am the one who reads all of the cards so it can become taxing for my throat if it goes too long.

For me, playing this game with people who want to roleplay, blow on their dice for a minute before rolling them or any of those kinds of game lengthening activities would test my patience and I wouldn't have fun.

It doesn't have to be elaborate, some memorable moments will do.

I was under the impression that just doing test rolls is the least enjoyable way to play this game. I have a low tolerance too for long games, so sometimes I "pause" my game for a beer break and continue the game an hour later.

I do agree on the roleplay bit. If I want to roleplay, I'll just have a roleplay session.

I was talking about the game mechanics or what's written on the encounters sparks imagination which paint a scene to connect the narrative dots. No need for roleplay, just a scene playing in your mind would suffice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
I think the game does a pretty decent job with setting the scene and providing enough information via the encounter cards. As far as things like combat and mythos go, I don't try to DM it too hard.

Every once and a while, though, I like to get really immersed in it. For instance, in a recent game against old tentacle face himself (which we filmed), I fought the daughter Cthylla in the Arctic seas using Silas, and was driven to madness. Later, another investigator headed down to finish the job and found Silas "on an old piece of driftwood, muttering to himself". I even did an old timey sailor's accent for Silas' voice, it was great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Le Roux Van Der Vyver
msg tools
Well I must have been fortunate thus far, most of my play-throughs have sort of had a story emerge out of them in one way or another. Mostly if you don't try and write it turn by turn but based on each character's experience. My solo games let my imagination fly the most and I try read all the flavour text to let it build, I only didn't do this once and it was the only game I didn't enjoy so much. Anyway, you may enjoy what I remember of this one --> Trying to keep it short yet juicy.

Facing off versus Yig. Roughly 5 Mythos left, Doom on 5, 4 Investigators but only 1 Solved Mystery. Jacqueline rocking support from the US of A, Jim was well stuck somewhere in Europe being delayed and arrested and things. He served his purpose earlier...

Our main characters for the last part are the recently Hospitalized Charlie, who listed his emergency contact as one "Akachi Onyele"... Strange to have a woman from Africa be the one to notify of his traumatic head injuries. Perhaps it had something to do with that Leo fellow who called earlier? What was his name again? Leo... Leo Anderson that's right! By the sounds of it he had some people travelling with him and they had a fair amount of equipment. I thought I heard a shotgun being cocked in the background...

The dialing code had shown Shanghai.

--------------------

The news had revealed that there was a Winged Serpent in Tokyo and that was what all the fuss was about.
Leo stood up from the table and gathered up his allies.
"We have one chance at this, and even then its still a rats chance in hell that we make it out alive."

If only he knew what lay ahead.

He found the monstrosity easy enough and after steeling himself for what was to come, ran into the fray. He found that the creature would strike out wildly, but with co-ordination, timing, and his good friend Dynamite a plan could be made... That and those strange incantations he had found months before....

Several hours later the creature lay dormant as a cloud of dust rose over Tokyo. Despite the horror of the creature he had faced, he was not prepared to have the very fabric of reality shift in front of him. There were gates open all over the city, but this one was materializing right in front of his eyes. He couldn't move, he was mesmerized as the air in front of him shifted to reveal a dark passage. He could hear the sounds of footsteps growing louder as someone drew near. A cold wind whisked out of the portal as someone emerged.

"My name is Akachi. We have no time. You must give me everything you possess and tell all of your allies to follow me. Stay here and fight to the death. Will you do what I ask?"

Leo had never seen this woman before, where had she come from and what did it all mean?

"We have no time." Akachi started to turn...

Leo's mind raced, how could he give this woman everything... Entrust her with... well... the fate of the world? Did he have a choice?.

"Come with me, I will take you to where it's all kept." His mind was made up.

************ See note 1 **************

Akachi left Leo the moment she understood his instructions regarding the Mythical items he had recovered in the preceding months. She had felt the Serpents rising all over the world for some time. Despite their movements being global, she knew there was something in the Himalayas that could help break the spell encasing the planet.

She walked into the portal that lay ahead and ventured forth... She knew she had to get to the Himalayas, but would this work...

--------------

That was the last Jacqueline could see of her through her visions, but she had managed to send her what she knew telepathically. All those insights gained when Jim was assaulted by the mysterious ailments and mental horrors, likely due to his investigations. She feared he would not hold out much longer though... It had been a while since she could sense him fully...

A shock went down Jacqueline's spine as she sensed Akachi, but this time in the Himalayas. She had found it! The ancient Tibetan temples she had glimpsed in her visions. She had told Akachi of it, but she never imagined she would be able to emerge from another dimension into the temples themselves. Perhaps she would be able to find the Crown said to enslave the minds of those who did not worship Yig.

**************** See Note 2 *****************

Akachi's hands waved as she recited the incantation she had done many times before. She had heard the Cultists running around the temples earlier and she had seen the footprints of something else here too...

Her Mist proved effective, as she managed to sneak past everyone unseen into the heart of the Underground Complex. She followed the strange markings on the wall through a maze of passages. Some of the symbols even matched those Leo and Jim had found all over the world, she would occasionally pause to reference some of the material Leo had passed on to her.

After some time she found what she had been looking for. An area drenched in an ancient evil. Her companions were starting to become uncomfortable.

"I have to leave you all here for a moment, when I return I will explain everything to you. Then I will ask you to gift me your lives."

She walked into the temple and left them to themselves. She knew for the spell to work their lives had to be given willingly.

When she returned, the group had made a little circle and she sat in the middle. She told them tales of her childhood and how she was taught of the stars and the Omens. How one day humanity would face threats and that certain people would be called upon to face these threats. She told them of the spell she was about to cast, but that it would have no chance at success unless at least 3 people are willing to give their Life Energy for the cause the spell represented.

"We are ready" Was all they said.

Clearly Leo chose his companions well, Akachi thought.

She started chanting and the circle closed hands around her. In her mind the world was being encased by a Blue flame, coming forth from their Circle. A Red flame was pushing against the Blue flame, this flame was coming from the Centre of the Crown...

The mountain started to shake.

Leo stood in Tokyo as the world shook under his feet and he saw flame-like colours colliding in the sky.

Jacqueline was assaulted by visions of the minds of those controlled by the Crown, the horrors they had endured.

Jim was Lost in Time and space.

************ See Note 3 ************8

Akachi fought the power of the Serpent held in the crown with all her might. It searched for a way to enter her mind and make it its own, but she gave no such opportunity. It finally reached the point where she knew that the last strands of energy was about to leave all of their bodies... She felt the red flame waver... She heard some dull thuds in the back of her mind... She only realized what it was as her own head struck the floor... Her companions bodies had given in just before hers had... It was all going dark....

-----------------------

Leo watched as the sky started to clear. It seems like there will be a tomorrow after all, he thought. Although he wasn't sure if the same would hold true for his allies, he hoped for the best. He hadn't told Akachi about how he obtained some of the documents he gave her... The creature in the alley with its black book. He had never signed anything in his blood before...

As Leo turned to head back to his hotel, he thought he saw something dark and large in the alley and he felt the hairs on the back of his neck stand up. Last time he felt that was when that creature appeared to offer him the deal in the first place. Why would it be back now? Unless....

---------------

Akachi regained consciousness to be surrounded by light. It seemed like she was lying on a glass-like surface. She heard a voice in the distance say something...

"You are not done yet Akachi."

A light flashed and Akachi blinked. She was sitting in the Buddhist Temples, surrounded by the bodies of her allies. Their faces were strangely calm, they had found peace in their sacrifice. She got up and was struck by a thought. Not done with what?

The End?

Just to clarify Leo got Dark PActed to death at the end moving Doom to 1, but 3rd Mystery solved and Investigators win! Sort of....
The game had seemed lost, took forever to solve a single mystery, but decided to keep playing and this wonderful adventure unfolded. Thanks for reading! Really enjoy playing this game

(**** Note 1: Mystery 2 Solved, Doom down to 3, 4 Mythos left - Mystery 3 revealed as Crown of Serpents - Leo has 2 allies and 2 clues, Akachi has no clues, Jacqueline has 2. Jim is honestly trying to get somewhere and do stuff but yeah lets just say he helped by getting conditions. The Expedition token is on the Himalayas, along with a clue. Akachi can TP onto clue from Tokyo gate!!!!! HAIL MARY IS POSSIBLE!!!!)

(**** Note 2: Doom still on 3, but there are lots of Red Gates open and Omen is on Green. No way to close enough gates in 2 turns, 3 Mythos left. Akachi has 4 clues and 2 allies and on Expedition space with Monsters)

(**** Note 3: I had misread the mystery, Initially thought Akachi could only attempt to break the crown the next encounter phase, but it turned out she could do it this Mythos phase! The Mythos card had advanced Omen to Blue, moving Doom to 2 and there was a Reckoning effect.... story will reveal, but if Akachi passed the test to Solve Mystery its all over. THERE IS HOPE!!!!! SWEEET HONEY DOOO DAAAAADS!!!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Back to the original question: imaginations can help, or can hurt. The game can be done quite well without assistance, or with. Look through the PBF games. Some of them have a lot of fluff, and some of them were done pretty straight-up. There were successes and failures both ways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoyed the read Le roux, thanks.

I've seen the PBF, but this is more of what I crave for. The highlights.

Any one have more?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played the game with people who love playing games but knew nothing about Lovecraft. They were not very excited about the game. Theme really helps I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.