Subject: Diplomacy Japan: on a "Shogun" board? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
daniel bullen
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi all

Couldn't see any mention of this in the forum - has anyone tried it?

I'm thinking maybe all it would take is to mark Supply Centers and then the board is usable?

Thoughts?

d3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It could work.

There are no named seas, so you'd either have to name them or do without fleets.

Some of the territories are similarly named... Shima, Shimosa, Shimotsuke... so you probably couldn't use abbreviations. Not to mention I'd have difficulty figuring out where everything is anyway!

Edit: BTW, if you're interested in Dip variants in feudal Japan, check out Benjamin Hester's 8-player Sengoku variant [vdip page | variantbank page].

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Prince Poutine Lord High Thrifter
Canada
Metro Vancouver
flag msg tools
Please support the International Diplomacy Repository -- where your donations of Diplomacy games are always happily accepted!
mb
Interesting idea. Give it a whirl and let us know how it goes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daniel bullen
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for the link!

I was imagining using the marked sea lanes on the Shogun board. So rather than fleets, armies are allowed to attack along those lines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shields
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
d3nial wrote:
Thanks for the link!

I was imagining using the marked sea lanes on the Shogun board. So rather than fleets, armies are allowed to attack along those lines.

I don't have the Shogun board in front of me, but I suspect that if you didn't use fleets you'd have a lot of trouble with stalemate lines. I expect that there are quite a few bottlenecks where you can easily throw enough supports on from one side that it's impossible to break through.

This isn't a problem in Shogun of course because you can just keep building more units to attack with, but in Diplomacy where you can only have one unit per space, I suspect you'll get a lot of stalemate lines.

IMO, I think you'd be better off just drawing some lines for seas and using fleets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.