7 Posts

Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » General

Subject: Dad convincing setup (Base + Dark City) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
R C
Australia
flag msg tools
Going over my parents house tonight and dad asked if I wanted to bring Legendary. Every time in the past we have played it it have absolutely destroyed the mastermind, or we get destroyed really fast.

So basically I can tell my dad isn't as impressed with the game as I am (i've played it alot) so was wondering if anyone can suggest a Base Game + Dark City setup that is both fun, requires thought and isn't a sure win.

Thanks guys

PS: Played a solo apocalypse + executioners Song solo match the other night that worked out really fun. I even gave apocalypse his villain set to make it harder
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would definitely go with Apocalypse for the challenge. X-Cutioner's Song or Capture Baby Hope for the scheme.

For thoughtful cardplay, I recommend these heroes:
Daredevil, Gambit, Angel, Cyclops, Deadpool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R C
Australia
flag msg tools
Awesome, got sometime before I go tonight so any other suggestions would be great

Specially love the thoughtful cardplay
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you use X-Cutioner's song with above set-up maybe try Elektra as the Villain deck Hero?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How did it go, R C?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R C
Australia
flag msg tools
DarthEd wrote:
How did it go, R C?

Sorry took so long to reply, wanted to wait till my days off to get back to you.

Mastermind and Scheme: After a very very very evil favouring start, we managed to hold out and get the mastermind down to his last tactic, but alas the villan deck ran out, so it was a draw. Many times a scheme twist came out just as we had rescued the baby, so I actually do feel like it was a very strategic game. In face on many turns we used out large attack numbers to help clear the city when baby hope was in it, as a single scheme twist draw and we would have been done for. However, I guess if we had attacked the mastermind on even one of those turns we would have won, but alas we could not know the next villan draw would be a phalanx

Heroes: The heroes did work very well together, but Deadpool seemed pretty useless and did not really flow with the other heroes at all. My dad enjoyed them too, but he noticed the lack of superpowers combo-ing off of each other, so it seems he enjoys that aspect (superpwoers) over the combo-ing we did have (xmen amounts, angels discard, gambits stacking). I didnt really agree as combos were still present, but yeh deadpool seemed an 'odd' choice

We did get stuffed up early game which definitely had an effect, by having all 5 rare cards popup (at different times) in the HQ over the first 8 turns. That really held us back as we had bugger all to recruit, to get the recruit to recruit the rare recruits

Overall: Definitely a very good setup, maybe I should have choose a more thematic henchman tho, but the lack of tech heroes against phalanx was actually interesting as we both fought for deadpools tech card Shame we lost, but it was a very close to the line finish. Funnily enough, the hand I drew as evil escaped (villan deck ending on my dads turn) would have given me 37 power. an INSANE combo!

Thanks again for the suggestions. Next time we will play executioners song with different heroesWhich you guys are more than welcome to suggest (mastermind too i guess)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Colt2911 wrote:
Heroes: The heroes did work very well together, but Deadpool seemed pretty useless and did not really flow with the other heroes at all. My dad enjoyed them too, but he noticed the lack of superpowers combo-ing off of each other, so it seems he enjoys that aspect (superpwoers) over the combo-ing we did have (xmen amounts, angels discard, gambits stacking). I didnt really agree as combos were still present, but yeh deadpool seemed an 'odd' choice

He doesn't have a lot of synergy with these heroes, but he does have some. If all five heroes synergized with each other perfectly, the game would be too easy, so I intentionally suggested him in order to make it slightly more difficult since you said you wanted a setup that wasn't too easy and not too hard. Deadpool was a bit of a handicap.

I disagree that he's useless in any case. Deadpool's "Oddball" gets a buff from playing odd-numbered cost heroes, and most of Angel's cards cost an odd number. If you have a lot of odd-cost Deadpool and Angel cards in your deck, then that makes guessing the cost when playing Daredevil's "Blind Justice" and "Radar Sense" easier. I feel that "Here, Hold This for a Second" and "Hey, Can I Get a Do-Over?" lead to some interesting decisions. The former forces you think about what cards are in your deck and allows you to cycle your deck faster, and the latter gets you extra victory points.

Anyway, it sounds like it turned out to be a pretty good game if it came down to the wire like you described. Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.