Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Sallen
United States
Boone
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EDIT: Here's my totally unofficial variant for Notoriety Scoring:

At game end, all players add up their total Notoriety, adding 3 for each Bonus Dinosaur card not fulfilled. Add all players' Notoriety together. Players lose points for their own Notoriety based on the total Notoriety accumulated by the group according to the following:

1-10 Notoriety: -1 point per Notoriety
11-19 Notoriety: -2 points per notoriety
20-28 Notoriety: -3 points per notoriety
29-36 Notoriety: -4 points per notoriety
37-43 Notoriety: -5 points per notoriety
44-49 Notoriety: -6 points per notoriety
50-54 Notoriety: -7 points per notoriety
55-58 Notoriety: -8 points per notoriety
59-62 Notoriety: -9 points per notoriety
63-66 Notoriety: -10 points per notoriety
67+ Notoriety: -11 points per notoriety, and may God have mercy on your soul.

My group felt the original rule to be too swingy for what was otherwise a really tight game. If anyone has a chance to try it out, please let me know how it goes

Original post:

I just finished my first play and I was truly impressed with The Great Dinosaur Rush. I tend towards heavy games with my taste and wasn't sure it would hold my attention, but I was wrong. The whole group enjoyed nearly all the game. That was until the Notoriety end game scoring. It was our opinion that it betrays the depth of the game to have such a swingy finale with notoriety tokens. Our scores were all tight (within 10 of one another, except for the player who ended with 9 notoriety (other scores were 8, 6, 5, and 5). We were discussing a more strategy-heavy variant, and we had two sources of inspiration: corruption in Lords of Waterdeep, where the more taken by all the more negative points each is worth, pirate tokens in Madeira (most gets -16, 2nd most -8, so on), or just to have the game score similar to the two player variant scoring (negative points for the difference). I was hoping that maybe I could get a word from Scott on if he ever attempted another notoriety variant or if he were to add a variant which direction he would prefer.

I've already come up with a few rules to hopefully get my wife to like it (She's similar to Rahdo's wife Jen when it comes to stabby stabby). I'm actually quite similar to her if the game isn't an explicit war game or war-hybrid. The variant goes:

Remove the personality that allows you to force opponents to discard bones, and change the steal action to exclude from hexes with another player's piece on them. These capabilities seemed very direct when compared with the deeper and more integral interaction of the rest of the game.

I just wanted to end by giving props to The Great Dinosaur Rush for making my group laugh out loud while we strategically considered how to build our dinosaurs. I've never seen so much creativity in a game without sacrificing a solid mechanical backbone (sorry I had to!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Almes
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
josefsallen wrote:
I just wanted to end by giving props to The Great Dinosaur Rush for making my group laugh out loud while we strategically considered how to build our dinosaurs. I've never seen so much creativity in a game without sacrificing a solid mechanical backbone (sorry I had to!)

Wow, thanks for saying that! That's 100% exactly the play style we were going for, so I'm glad your group felt it. And I'm glad they enjoyed it! I do think this game has a very unique feel due to its mix of creativity and strategy, so it's great that it got to your table and people had fun with it.

For notoriety, we don't have any official variants - but I will say we went through a lot of different ways to score it. In the end, this is the one we liked the best, but there were others that still worked and resulted in a fun game. If you do find a variant you like, I'm never offended by people giving it a try and post their findings in a variant thread. I like to talk shop
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.