43.9% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
31 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Mechs vs. Minions» Forums » General

Subject: [POLL] is the hype and fear real? who is aiming at getting in on the first print run? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mick Whyte
Australia
Gold Coast
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
Over the last week we have been literally bombarded by hype for Mechs Vs Minions. With low price point, stunning components and words like "my 10 of 2016" being thrown around by both Vassel and Rahdo, you have to ask "Is the Hype Real?" With a finite number of copies (15,000) available and millions of LOL players world wide, there is a strong Fear Of Missing Out (FOMO)
But is this Fear justified or not?

Lets do a poll and just see with in the active Board game community how many people have eyes on 1 of these limited copies.
Hype vs reality what are your plans for the Mechs Vs Minions release?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Definitely getting it! I'll be refreshing my browser from 10:59 onward
60.4% 415
I'll check some time that day but not bothered if I miss it
20.5% 141
I can wait til December, gotta save some $$$ anyway
4.8% 33
Waiting til after first print run to see if hype is real or if postage goes down
6.3% 43
Meh, not getting it
5.2% 36
Worried that if I don't get it now the price will go up or they won't reprint it and it will be the worst decision of my entire life. Que hyper ventilating
2.8% 19
Voters 687
This poll is now closed.   687 answers
Poll created by Mick_whyte
Closes: Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:00 am
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrik Severinsson
Sweden
Sundbyberg
Sundbyberg
flag msg tools
...microbrewed beer.
badge
...more hops, better die rolls.
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe the hype is real, but I think that's mostly among boardgamers. We can probably easily squeeze in among the first 15k copies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe D
United States
Sandy
UT
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So far this poll clearly shows only 14530 will be available at the end of the first day. I am hyperventilating! gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Hell
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I'm jumping in early just because it's fun! ...like buying concert tickets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Astromags wrote:
I'm jumping in early just because it's fun! ...like buying concert tickets.

Exactly.

I booked the day off work to make sure I can order my copy the moment it's available. Even if it takes hours or a day or two or longer to sell out, it's still fun to occasionally get on board the hype train.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I initially was going to jump on this right on the 13th, but I've since reconsidered. I have a whole bunch of Kickstarters delivering in the final 3 months of the year that will keep me happy until I've seen some user reviews. I've no doubt that unleashing this on the BGG beast will reveal A LOT more perspectives and opinions than those currently available. It looks like great fun and there's no denying the component quality and value, but I think I can stave off my acquisition disorder for a bit.

Besides, I really don't foresee a supply problem. If you want it, you'll eventually be able to pick it up. Maybe letting a print run go through will identify some errata that needs fixing on future iterations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cantrell
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
Maybe letting a print run go through will identify some errata that needs fixing on future iterations.

I can guarantee that as we find changes, mistakes in our rules, or things that we felt were clear but ultimately weren't... these things will continue to be revised as we get better at this. Nothing wrong with waiting to make sure this is a good fit for your gaming group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabor Pivarcsi
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Riot Kades wrote:
MAJBrown22 wrote:
Maybe letting a print run go through will identify some errata that needs fixing on future iterations.

I can guarantee that as we find changes, mistakes in our rules, or things that we felt were clear but ultimately weren't... these things will continue to be revised as we get better at this. Nothing wrong with waiting to make sure this is a good fit for your gaming group.

Actually this is exactly what I plan to do. I'm very interested in the game, but I have more than one instance in my boardgaming life where second print runs got updated components, revised rulebooks, etc.
Since Riot is openly saying they'll produce the game as long as people want to buy it, I'm pretty positive we won't miss out if we wait with the purchase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cantrell
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
gaborpivarcsi wrote:

Actually this is exactly what I plan to do. I'm very interested in the game, but I have more than one instance in my boardgaming life where second print runs got updated components, revised rulebooks, etc.
Since Riot is openly saying they'll produce the game as long as people want to buy it, I'm pretty positive we won't miss out if we wait with the purchase.

It will all depend on demand, but we'd also like to provide a localized experience when we think that makes the most sense for players. I've loved my trips to Budapest - such an amazing city. (Our cities don't have quite the same level of history in the States.)

One thing I'll mention, we intended from the get-go for MvM to feel like a Collector's Edition experience. With that in mind, we've individually numbered the units of every wave. On the back of your box, it'll say "Wave 1: 14,832 of 30,000" or something of that nature. I haven't really been pushing this fact from a marketing perspective because I don't want people to feel like they have to buy the game as soon as it comes out or anything (we're committed to meeting demand). But at the same time, I want to be transparent around what people are getting. I'd hate to create frustration down the line because people just weren't aware of the numbering stuff when they placed their order and it might have influenced their approach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Riot Kades wrote:
MAJBrown22 wrote:

Will you be providing updated rulebooks and FAQ online?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Matthews
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the not getting it group; but I think the hype is totally real and it looks to be a fantastic deal. If I were looking for this type of game I'd be in the refresh my browser category.

E

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cantrell
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Logus Vile wrote:

Will you be providing updated rulebooks and FAQ online?

Yup; course. Imagine we'll have it up here as well, when they're ready.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shotgun Games
msg tools
mbmb
I suspected this is going to be all of us at 10:59am

Some of us will actually secure their copy.

While some of us won't.

But then we realize there will be another print run soon.

In the mean time, Masmorra ships in just a few weeks. Widow's Walk, M.A.D., and Rail Raiders too.

There are so many awesome games to play.

cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Faber
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
I initially was going to jump on this right on the 13th, but I've since reconsidered. I have a whole bunch of Kickstarters delivering in the final 3 months of the year that will keep me happy until I've seen some user reviews. I've no doubt that unleashing this on the BGG beast will reveal A LOT more perspectives and opinions than those currently available. It looks like great fun and there's no denying the component quality and value, but I think I can stave off my acquisition disorder for a bit.

Besides, I really don't foresee a supply problem. If you want it, you'll eventually be able to pick it up. Maybe letting a print run go through will identify some errata that needs fixing on future iterations.

This is naive thinking at its worst, but that's good - one more copy for me. I bet you're one of those people who will be refusing to loot supermarkets when the zombie apocalypse begins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shotgun Games
msg tools
mbmb
maxlongstreet wrote:

This is naive thinking at its worst, but that's good - one more copy for me. I bet you're one of those people who will be refusing to loot supermarkets when the zombie apocalypse begins.

Super Markets are practically the worse possible place you could go to during the inevitable Zombie uprising.

1) Super Markets are meant to advertise the delicious food inside, which is why most of them have floor-to-ceiling windows. During the zombie crisis, all that will do is advertise.. TO THE ZOMBIES... all the delicious people inside trying to loot the store.

2) When it happens... thousands of people will swarm the nearest Super Market to gain essential provisions. Namely, food and water. Imagine thousands of desperate people, with no law enforcement, scrambling for that last bottle of water and a can of spam. It will be riotous. You are far more likely to be killed by another human there, then you would be by a zombie.

3) Disease. Any remaining food that hasn't been looted will quickly begin to spoil. The power will most likely go out soon after the Z-crisis hits. Without refrigeration, milk and eggs will spoil within hours. Vegetables and raw meat will rot. It will quickly become infested with rats, stray animals, and disease spreading insects.

4. A super market provides ZERO protection from the undead horde. With large glass windows, a horde would over run a super market (even one with bars), within minutes.

5. You should be prepared BEFORE the Zombie uprising. Don't wait. Start stocking food and water now. When the zombies begin their uprising, I suggest that you locate the nearest super market... and stay the hell away from it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe D
United States
Sandy
UT
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Riot Kades wrote:
I don't want people to feel like they have to buy the game as soon as it comes out or anything

Too late!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabor Pivarcsi
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Riot Kades wrote:
It will all depend on demand, but we'd also like to provide a localized experience when we think that makes the most sense for players. I've loved my trips to Budapest - such an amazing city. (Our cities don't have quite the same level of history in the States.)

Haha, this was an unexpectedly personal comment, thanks!
As for translations, I'm pretty sure there's a niche group who would enjoy the game getting localized, but I'm not sure how big that group is. I mostly buy boardgames in english because of the fear that future expansions won't get localized, and I end up with different language editions.

Also, a boardgame translated by someone who do not enjoys the game and lore can make our eyes bleed, so please find a translator who's a fan of the game and the fantasy literature.

Quote:
One thing I'll mention, we intended from the get-go for MvM to feel like a Collector's Edition experience. With that in mind, we've individually numbered the units of every wave. On the back of your box, it'll say "Wave 1: 14,832 of 30,000" or something of that nature. I haven't really been pushing this fact from a marketing perspective because I don't want people to feel like they have to buy the game as soon as it comes out or anything (we're committed to meeting demand). But at the same time, I want to be transparent around what people are getting. I'd hate to create frustration down the line because people just weren't aware of the numbering stuff when they placed their order and it might have influenced their approach.

Actually this could make games "1 of 30000" and "30000 of 30000" VERY valuable as a collector's item. Maybe "15000 of 30000" too.
Now the battle will be even fiercer for the first game in the line.
I'm not much for numbered items, so my opinion won't change, although getting number 4, 44, 444 or 4444 would make me a little excited.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cantrell
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
gaborpivarcsi wrote:

Haha, this was an unexpectedly personal comment, thanks!
As for translations, I'm pretty sure there's a niche group who would enjoy the game getting localized, but I'm not sure how big that group is. I mostly buy boardgames in english because of the fear that future expansions won't get localized, and I end up with different language editions.

This is good context. Thanks for this, Gabor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where's the option for "I'll grab it on clearance when they've realized they've massively overproduced and have a warehouse full of unsold copies?" To be fair, I'm not sure if THAT scenario will happen, but there isn't anywhere near as much interest in this game as the people in this forum believe. The hype is pretty much contained to this forum that is--you know--already dedicated to this game. I follow two large gaming groups on Facebook (BGG and TBG). Since the game has been announced, I've seen only one post between the two with a few replies. Contrast that with something like Blood Rage or Scythe--the level of hype this game needs to sell out even in the first few days--this game is unknown. Those games had a post about them every three posts for months before release through months after release. Even in this poll in the hub of the hype for this game, only 291 people are panning to buy day one. That leaves a mere 14,709 copies. Better run fast, people!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
atomheartmother wrote:
Where's the option for "I'll grab it on clearance when they've realized they've massively overproduced and have a warehouse full of unsold copies?" To be fair, I'm not sure if THAT scenario will happen, but there isn't anywhere near as much interest in this game as the people in this forum believe. The hype is pretty much contained to this forum that is--you know--already dedicated to this game. I follow two large gaming groups on Facebook (BGG and TBG). Since the game has been announced, I've seen only one post between the two with a few replies. Contrast that with something like Blood Rage or Scythe--the level of hype this game needs to sell out even in the first few days--this game is unknown. Those games had a post about them every three posts for months before release through months after release. Even in this poll in the hub of the hype for this game, only 291 people are panning to buy day one. That leaves a mere 14,709 copies. Better run fast, people!

The real unknown element here is the League of Legends videogaming community. If even 0.1% of their regular players decide to buy this game, the game will sell out very quickly. And those players are likely to not even know this site exists, let alone this poll.

But nobody really knows how many of them will really have interest. So it's a big unknown. It could take a long time to sell, or might sell out quite quickly.

Personally, I hope it sells well enough that Riot Games can call it a success, but not so well that there are people struggling to get a copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
atomheartmother wrote:
I follow two large gaming groups on Facebook (BGG and TBG). Since the game has been announced, I've seen only one post between the two with a few replies. Contrast that with something like Blood Rage or Scythe--the level of hype this game needs to sell out even in the first few days--this game is unknown.

You've pretty much convinced me this game is better, then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
atomheartmother wrote:
I follow two large gaming groups on Facebook (BGG and TBG). Since the game has been announced, I've seen only one post between the two with a few replies. Contrast that with something like Blood Rage or Scythe--the level of hype this game needs to sell out even in the first few days--this game is unknown.

You've pretty much convinced me this game is better, then.

LOL. Neither of those two games are particularly great. However, watching a few play throughs of this game makes it clear enough that thr primary selling point of this game are the components. The game design looks simple and repetitive. It looks like it'd feel quite old after a half dozen plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Love
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Remember the video game is also free to play. And part of that model is attracting "whales" super fans with a lot of disposable income who buy everything related to the game. There will be hardcore fans buying this with no intention of ever playing it just because it's cool merch. Not many maybe, but a few thousand quite likely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Homo Ludens
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've gone from Definite Purchase to Meh, not getting it.

Having watched more of the excellent Watch It Played tutorials I can see this game is not really going to hold my interest in the long term.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
asobu wrote:
I've gone from Definite Purchase to Meh, not getting it.

Having watched more of the excellent Watch It Played tutorials I can see this game is not really going to hold my interest in the long term.

It seems like the kind of game where opening the box, admiring the bits, and organizing the game will be the highest point of enjoyment. After that, it seems like it'll be a continuous downhill slide. I think it could be fun for a few games, until the shallowness kicks in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.