BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Asmodee - Localized Versions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
ASL ... yes, this is my Desert Island Game. If I have to give up all my 3000+ games and only allowed to keep one, this would be it. This bloody game stood the test of time. Around for more than 25 years - simply the best.
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmb
Recently I received a new newsletter from my FLGS, in which I was told that because of the recent absorption of FFG by Asmodee, the availability of English FFG versions in the shop will be limited / not existent.

Being a hopeless FFG fanboy, that leaves me two options:
1 buy the daffy German versions (which I will not - playing them is as awful like watching dubbed movies) or
2 look for sellers of the original version online.

So it will be option 2, but I'm a little sad as my FLGS owner is a great guy and he will lose a couple of good customers because of this.

Could anyone (preferably from Asmodee) explain this policy to me? What's the big master plan plan behind that strange policy except annoying customers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who vastly prefers buying english versions, this sucks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
ASL ... yes, this is my Desert Island Game. If I have to give up all my 3000+ games and only allowed to keep one, this would be it. This bloody game stood the test of time. Around for more than 25 years - simply the best.
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmb
Alright, I just got it from my FLGS - no more English FFG titles.

Thank you, Asmodee! You suck!!!

However, I now need a new source for my drugs. Can anyone recommend me an online store in an EU country which is not patronized by that stupid company with localized versions?

Scandinavia? Netherlands? Hungary? Any good online stores there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
PzVIE wrote:

Could anyone .. explain this policy to me? What's the big master plan plan behind that strange policy except annoying customers?

Making more money. In limiting your choices to the local version, they can up the price for that without customers having a ready alternative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
PzVIE wrote:

However, I now need a new source for my drugs. Can anyone recommend me an online store in an EU country which is not patronized by that stupid company with localized versions?

Maybe Philibert in France.

The French versions of FFG are made by Edge which is not a part of Asmodee. So I don't think Asmodee will discontinue the sales of FFG English version in France as it is the only version under the Asmodee banner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Johnson
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Xahendir wrote:
PzVIE wrote:

The French versions of FFG are made by Edge which is not a part of Asmodee. So I don't think Asmodee will discontinue the sales of FFG English version in France as it is the only version under the Asmodee banner.

So to buy an English language game we have to order it from France?
You couldn't make this up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
infectedeggs wrote:

So to buy an English language game we have to order it from France?
You couldn't make this up.

I don't understand your point ...
I'm just saying that, on the market I know, the only "Asmodee owned" version of FFG games are the English ones so I don't think their sales will be discontinued.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Van Genechten
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
isn`t this like discriminating mixed Families where the only common language is English?

So first Asmodee buys a bunch of companies and then puts limits on the distirbution?

(Not making any judgements untill I understand correctly)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They have changed their distribution model in North America, maybe Europe is to follow:
https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/49015/starting-2016-asmod...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Xahendir wrote:

Good suggestion. I just tried that one out and ordered a couple of games. Looks good, thanks for the tip! meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PzVIE wrote:

There are plenty shops around, which have the english games, even in germany.

Fantasywelt.de for example also has pretty decent prices.

Another shop, which I like quite a bit, is boardgameextras.co.uk.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xahendir wrote:
I don't understand your point ...

Well, his point might be, that in order to get a game in english, the first thought might be to look at some of the english-speaking countries... like, you know, england!

Of course, there might also be some subtle hint to historic relations between france and england.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
All bookmarked, thanks Thanee.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want some more choice... there are plenty others around.

Amazon.de, obviously.
Amazon.co.uk, also.

Tellurian.de
Magierspiele.de
Morgenwelt.de
Archonia.com (belgium)

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
PzVIE wrote:
Xahendir wrote:

Good suggestion. I just tried that one out and ordered a couple of games. Looks good, thanks for the tip! meeple

I know them as a local consumer but they are very well-regarded.

Thanee wrote:
Well, his point might be, that in order to get a game in english, the first thought might be to look at some of the english-speaking countries... like, you know, england!

Indeed but I'm French and I don't know the British websites.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xahendir wrote:
I know them as a local consumer but they are very well-regarded.

I actually got a nice package from them, recently (they did the fulfillment for Conan).

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.