Exceed: Red Horizon – Reese & Heidi vs. Vincent & Nehtali» Forums » Rules

Subject: Movement effects rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dizdi
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
When you play a move 4 effect I assume all the movement must be in the same direction, right?
Also, when you play such an effect and you are on the edge of the arena can you choose to move 0 spaces by choosing to move in the direction of the edge you are standing?

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Brannan
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
a "move" effect must be in be in all the same direction correct.
if your are on the edge of the arena you can choose to move to the edge to essentially move 0 yes, you are correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Armstrong
msg tools
Actually, self-Move effects on are always optional, even if you aren't at the edge of the arena. Unlike Advance, Close, and Retreat, a Move effect is "up to the number of spaces indicated."

I don't think that applies to effects that move the opponent, though. For example, moving the opponent with Grasp doesn't allow you to leave the opponent in place, unless they're at the edge of the board (in which case they can effectively keep them in place by choosing the right movement direction, as you suggest).

At any rate, according to the wording of the rules, "move 1 space" means "move 0~1 spaces."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dizdi
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Then what about effects that state "Move 1 or 2 spaces"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Armstrong
msg tools
Yeah, it seems a little unintuitive. It seems like the only possible interpretations are:

(i) "move 1 or 2 spaces" means move 0~2 spaces (in which case the card is misleading),

(ii) "move 1 or 2 spaces" means move 1~2 spaces, and "move 2 spaces" means move exactly 2 spaces (in which case the rules text is wrong); or

(iii) "move 1 or 2 spaces" means move 1~2 spaces and "move 2 spaces" means move 0~2 spaces (which is weird).

Technically, option (iii) seems preferable with the rules as written. "Move 2 spaces" means "move 0~2 spaces" because that's the general rule on movement, but "move 1 or 2 spaces" means "move 1~2 spaces" because that's clearly the intention on the card, so this is just a specific rule (the card text) overriding a general rule.

The best justification I can think of for this position is that "move 2 spaces" means "move 2 spaces using Move-based movement, as described in the rules," but "move 1 or 2 spaces" is a slightly awkward way to say "advance or retreat 1 or 2 spaces, using the Advance- or Retreat-based movement, as described in the rules."

Applying this back to the original question yields the following answers:

(i) A "move X spaces" effect can't force you to leave the edge of the Arena, because you may always move fewer than the number of spaces indicated in a move effect, including not moving at all.

(ii) A "move 1 or 2 spaces" effect can't force you to leave the edge of the Arena, because you can choose to retreat.

(Having said all that, it would be a lot simpler if we could just get some Errata that clarifies that "move" simply means "advance or retreat (or push or pull, if acting on the opponent)". The current wording of the rules doesn't allow for such an interpretation, though.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.