Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Willem Verhoef
Netherlands
Weert
Limburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a 37-year-old Dutch guy with a 36-year-old Polish girlfriend. She indulges me by playing games together, and we do not shy away from confrontation at the table. Also, away from the table

Why is my life story at the beginning of a review? In this case, it makes thematic sense, as the biblical story about Babel is all about languages and misunderstandings. In a nutshell, people started building a big tower without filling out all the required permits. Old Testament God was a bit of a bureaucrat so He made them speak different languages and scattered them all over the world before they could put their name on it with big golden letters (for a visual recreation, put all your meeples from all your games on the Middle East region on a Risk board, then flip the table).
So, back to the theme: with our different language backgrounds and different genders there are a lot of misunderstandings
As a side note: she speaks Dutch extremely well and I wouldn't say anything else in print. I'm trying to learn Polish and it's tough goings, so kudos to her!

Now, our findings on the game:
The game is fairly easy to play, but the rulebook could be better. In essence, you draw cards, use them to move your little wooden God avatar, build, settle, migrate or activate your tribes. Your people only do some work if your avatar is at their site. I like to imagine they're writing reviews on board game sites when I move my piece away, then act busy when I move it back.
I do recommended printing out [url=the player aid by Liumas]https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/112537/babel-brief-liumas[/url] so that you don't have to keep turning to the rulebook.

Component quality is good. Cards and tiles are sturdy. The art is functional but no wow-factor. The wooden God avatars seem sturdy enough to contain the heavenly power within. I would advise to treat them respectfully and try not to drop them, lest your face will be melted off.

This game itself is nasty (in a good way). It's in-your-face confrontational, no playing nice, full out war. As they say, lack of wrath against wickedness is a lack of caring, which is a lack of love. Safe to say there was a lot of love between us involving Babel. We started by playing a lot of cards each turn, but soon learned it made sense to keep some in your hand to keep your options open. All in all, it's a deeper game than it seems on the surface. Thinky, but quick to play. Length is about right, it doesn't outstay it's welcome. I wouldn't want to play multiple games in a row, as the high confrontation level is pretty draining.
The bickering factor was, as you've guessed, huge. On the plus side, I learned a lot of new Polish curse words.

If you can handle the slings and arrows of an outraged opponent, you’ll be fine. But give this a wide berth if you don’t like games where you need to mess with each other – this game towers over all other confrontational games.
I’m keeping the game as we would enjoy more plays in the future.

Recommended, just not to the meek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sanders
United States
Henderson
Texas
flag msg tools
DNA results:Scottish, Dutch, English, Irish, German, French, Iberian Peninsula = 100% American!
mbmbmbmbmb
Outstanding, couldn't have said it better. It really does offer a fun tactical element in moving your tribes around in just the right order to maximize building (points). Very fun game, but yes, not for the meek of heart!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael R

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmb
Never played this one but it sounds interesting. Probably won't cross my path in the near future as the wife isn't a fan of take that games.
Nonetheless, very enjoyable review. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Barnes
United Kingdom
Leigh
Lancs
flag msg tools
Great review, very humorous, in fact I'm not sure now whether this is a deliberate mistake or not:

wnverhoef wrote:
I'm trying to learn Polish and it's though goings, so kudos to her!

If not then the word is tough. If it was then kudos to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Verhoef
Netherlands
Weert
Limburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish I was witty enough for a deliberate mistake like that Fixed it, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.