Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas -
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Awww...

At first I was excited when I learned about Rising Sun and that it would be a spiritual successor to Blood Rage, but now I see that it says 3-6 players. No two player?

I wonder whether this is set in stone? Anyone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Dringautzki
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
Game Photography
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, a negotiation game normally makes only sense if you are 3+ people as you otherwise will never have an option if your only opponent says no. In addition I like a game has a player count noted in which it functions well and not some make up rules that are boring and leave everyone unsatisfied. Still the game is still in development it may change. Plus there are so many smart minds out there that developed solo and two player rules for a lot of games, that would not be any different here I assume
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game has its roots in Diplomacy. A game about negociation, alliances and betrayals probably needs at least 3 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Hilliard
United States
Smyrna
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Very disappointed by this
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theofilos Koutroubis
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's better than having a bad 2-player variant that noone will ever play just to have more customers and at the end of the day deceiving them.
It is hard to make a game that plays well in a large variety of player counts. Also the nature of this game is obviously better with more players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas -
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hm, I guess I better read up on Diplomacy. I never tried that one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chip Crawford
United States
Aubrey
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whew!

I thought this was gonna be bad news.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theodore Martinovich
United States
Davidsonville
Maryland
flag msg tools
Hulk can see ghosts, breathe underwater, and survive a nuclear bomb.
badge
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCSE5I0Wp7c
mbmbmbmbmb
Yea. This is why I sold blood rage. There was 2 player but... Not really worth playing over a hundred other games 2 player. I still might back this, if only as an investment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Barker
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ThomasDN wrote:
Hm, I guess I better read up on Diplomacy. I never tried that one.

Also take a look at Game of Thrones: The Board Game (2nd edition). It's basically Diplomacy with the combat cards of Kemet (except GoT inspired Kemet, not vice versa).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas -
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I will - thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryant Hudson
United States
Cullman
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As soon as it mentioned diplomacy, negotiations, etc. the minimum players had to be 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Douglas

North Carolina
msg tools
Blood Rage was aweful with 2 players so this is actually a good thing to help the game out. I have no issues with this and would never play a game like this with only 2 players
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am so exhausted with people asking for 2 player variants in games that would obviously not work with two players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Moriarity
Canada
flag msg tools
A good negotiation game for 2 players is like a two-headed cat with one head. It is not ontologically possible for it to exist.

Don't blame game designers, blame the nature of reality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
epilepticemu wrote:
I am so exhausted with people asking for 2 player variants in games that would obviously not work with two players.

I hear you. I posted this in a thread for another game and was shouted down for it (Seafall, I believe).

But what I'm trying to say isn't a criticism of the OP, necessarily, but that you shouldn't expect the game out of the box to support 2 players.

You can always hope, as another posted mentioned, that there will be some innovative geek out there who CAN create a fun 2-player variant, and make the square peg in the round hole work. But that's leaving a lot to hope on a third party's originality, ingenuity, and willingness to try it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
Gamer Without a Cause
mbmbmbmbmb
mrsuitcase wrote:
epilepticemu wrote:

I hear you. I posted this in a thread for another game and was shouted down for it (Seafall, I believe).

But what I'm trying to say isn't a criticism of the OP, necessarily, but that you shouldn't expect the game out of the box to support 2 players.

You can always hope, as another posted mentioned, that there will be some innovative geek out there who CAN create a fun 2-player variant, and make the square peg in the round hole work. But that's leaving a lot to hope on a third party's originality, ingenuity, and willingness to try it.

Picture sums it up perfectly. I know it is what some want, and this game may be inaccessible to some who only play with 2, but... yeah. Quit trying to fit the square into the round hole. Not every game works for 2.

I desperately wanted AQ to play with 5-6 on up, but it makes the game less challenging and isn't in the spirit of how it was made. It is what it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas -
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mrsuitcase wrote:
But what I'm trying to say isn't a criticism of the OP, necessarily,

"Necessarily"?? Why would that ever be necessary?

Perhaps I should explain something here... Posting the original question here in this thread I basically only knew that Rising Sun will be the "spiritual successor" to Blood Rage which I own and like. I did not know that Rising Sun would be a negotiating game. Naturally I get that negotiating works best with 3+ players.

My most frequent player number is two so yeah, I like two player games. There was no much more to the question.

Thanks all for enlightening me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. You weren't necessarily implying any more than your question.

Edit: as an FYI, there is a good variant for Diplomacy that allows you to play without negotiation and it is pretty fun. You still need 7 players to make it interesting though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar Iglesias
Spain
Alcobendas
Madrid
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Better to have a 3+ players game than one with a bad 2 players option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ThomasDN wrote:
mrsuitcase wrote:
But what I'm trying to say isn't a criticism of the OP, necessarily,

"Necessarily"?? Why would that ever be necessary?

Perhaps I should explain something here... Posting the original question here in this thread I basically only knew that Rising Sun will be the "spiritual successor" to Blood Rage which I own and like. I did not know that Rising Sun would be a negotiating game. Naturally I get that negotiating works best with 3+ players.

My most frequent player number is two so yeah, I like two player games. There was no much more to the question.

Thanks all for enlightening me.

The game is said to be a spiritual successor to Diplomacy, not Blood Rage. I believe that's the issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.