19 Posts

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » General

Subject: Lets talk about the long scenario (spoilers) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, I just played the long 6 hour scenario and wanted to talk to someone who had played it

We had a lot of fun, really enjoyed the detective narrative. However, we did not figure out the correct bad guy and ended up having to fight a lot of monsters.

Did you find the correct bad guy or the location of the ritual? We are not sure how we were supposed to figure it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, we found at least one of the suspects and the ritual site...

Spoiler (click to reveal)
We found a cult membership sigil in Silvia Marsh's conservatory, and we found ritual components at the docks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh, we found the sigil as well I guess we should have studied it more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Muemmelmann wrote:
Huh, we found the sigil as well I guess we should have studied it more.

You don't need to study it. The fact that it's a membership sigil to a cult doesn't seem a little suspicious to you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha good point somehow the word 'membership' must have escaped us. I just noted that it was a key to something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
indy lim
msg tools
Has anyone played it through multiple times? Do the bad guys change at all? I played solo with three investigators and did manage to guess the correct baddie, but my clues were more ambiguous. Luckily I found a

Tommygun in the snack shack
to fend off the monsters in the finale.

This was the scenario where the 2 action limit was really frustrating as it seemed you could barely get to anything before the day ended, so whether you uncovered that key clue depends on how lucky you were in which clues you chose to aim for during the day.

I would be interested in hearing how it might have varied, not sure if I want to play it again though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
indylim wrote:
Has anyone played it through multiple times? Do the bad guys change at all? I played solo with three investigators and did manage to guess the correct baddie, but my clues were more ambiguous. Luckily I found a

Tommygun in the snack shack
to fend off the monsters in the finale.

This was the scenario where the 2 action limit was really frustrating as it seemed you could barely get to anything before the day ended, so whether you uncovered that key clue depends on how lucky you were in which clues you chose to aim for during the day.

I would be interested in hearing how it might have varied, not sure if I want to play it again though...

We got the correct Cult members and ritual site, but were overwhelmed in the finale. It was a ton of fun though and we managed to take down ONE of those dirty rotten snakes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raziel Chromatic
Canada
Rimouski
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played the scenario two times, and yes the objects, the culprits, the order in which you investigate will change, and yes you always get the feeling you haven't got a clue. I think this is intented, and I feel this is killing some of the atmosphere. You never really get to feel like a detective, more like a stumbling outsider who's never asking the right question. But then, you find this one clue and that's enough to get to the endgame fight. Also, this is a game of choices, and most people tend to believe they should go through all of the question mark tokens. This is a mistake.
We never failed at finding the bad guys or the location of the ritual, so I have no idea how different is the endgame when you do. No need to tell me though, I like the surprise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
I think this is the worst of all the scenarios. Actually, we found it to be majorly flawed.

We played twice and won twice and cannot imagine actually losing, at least not through failing to solve the 'mystery'.

I'm going to discuss the mechanics of it below, so don't read on if you don't want spoilers:

The solution to the scenario is 100% mechanical. Nothing any of the character says indicates their guilt or otherwise. In fact, talking to them in most instances is totally pointless waste of actions, other than as a source of clue tokens. In fact, the only thing you need to do is check 3 or 4 certain places in each location. You will either get a 'positive' or 'negative' from it.

Each character has a key location connected to them where you can establish their guilt or otherwise. Thse locations do not change from game to game. If you search this location and find an 'Evidence' card they are a cult member. If you search that location and don't find one they aren't. That's it. Once you know what these locations are (and they're pretty obvious) you can ignore pretty much everything else. Similarly for the locations: there is one point of interaction on each map that will give you an 'Evidence' card or not... which will tell you if that location is used for the ritual. Just like with the people these locations do not change, so when you know it you know it...

Okay, but you don't know these locations the first time you play right? Correct. However... although the game suggests you need to find the two culprits AND the location of the ritual that isn't actually true. You only need to find one of three as that will be enough to get you to the final encounter.

That means in a single investigation you need only:

Identify 1 of 2 suspect from 6 possibilities (1 in 3 chance of finding an 'Evidence' card in each fixed key location you interact with)

OR

Eliminate 4 suspects from 6 possibilities

OR

Identify 1 location from 3 possibilities

OR

Eliminate 2 locations form 3 possibilities.

The odds that you will not manage to achieve a single one of the above is pretty low in my opinion paying with any sort of efficiency.

Even on a first 'blind' play of the scenario I think it's easy... And If you don't lose this scenario the first time I don't think you will ever lose it... unless you lose an investigator. And this is my other criticism: the only challenge the scenario really gives is to give 6 cumulative, unblockable horror to each investigator over the course of the 3 days, pushing all of them close to insanity. This to me seemed really contrived and unsatisfying given nothing more frightening than jumping at their own shadows has happened to the investigators in that time period.

I think the basic mechanic of this scenario would make a good children's game but for a teen+ mystery / adventure game... I think it's pretty lame.

The scenario also has length going against it. Now, I've nothing against a long game, and in fact I was looking forward to this one for that very reason... but it has to have depth to support the play time. To spend so long on such an easy and mechanically uninteresting scenario was really unsatisfying to us. Even the 2nd play taxed out patience. So this scenario has the least replayability out of all of them (for me) and replayability is already low.

This is the only scenario so far I consider a total bust.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@ Justin

If you break it down as you just did, I see your point. I think the overall charm and narrative of the mystery is great and should be enhanced or possibly reworked/updated (a possibility with the app).

Overall though, I do prefer a bit of the mystery/sleuthing in these scenarios over straight-forward monster bashing. I think they're still searching for that balance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only play4ed the firs tscenario (mostly monster bashing) and this (mostly mystery). I enjoy the investigative part the most, is it present in any other scenarios.

Justin: I agree with your analysis, but it is sort of like a magic trick. When you know how it works, it is no fun (oh is it just that), but it was quite immersiv efor us not knowing how it worked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
flag msg tools
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/03/28
mbmbmbmbmb
We just finished it last night. We found plenty of clues and character dialog implicating one of the suspects, but nothing for the second. We had no idea where the location was. So we followed the one character we were sure was "off" and got to the ritual.

We won easily because we ignored the monsters and solved the puzzles at the ritual points. We didn't know that would end the game but we thought it might keep a big baddie from being summoned that would be even harder to fight.

I thoroughly enjoyed the scenario. It felt much more like the Call of Cthulhu RPG than the other scenarios we have played: walking around talking to people and hunting for clues rather than killing monsters.

With four investigators we covered maybe 80% of each location. We chose to focus on talking with the suspects rather than searching, which did not always pan out (blow a roll and you don't hear anything useful) but I think is the right approach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Muemmelmann wrote:
I only play4ed the firs tscenario (mostly monster bashing) and this (mostly mystery). I enjoy the investigative part the most, is it present in any other scenarios.

Justin: I agree with your analysis, but it is sort of like a magic trick. When you know how it works, it is no fun (oh is it just that), but it was quite immersiv efor us not knowing how it worked.

None of the other scenarios feel as "investigative" as Rising Tide. Most seem to be a bit of sleuthing while you are harassed or pressured by monsters. I prefer less monsters and more action management with occasionally a surprise confrontation.

Escape from Innsmouth is investigative in a way but you are harassed the entire time so there isn't a LOT of tension. It's mostly just terror and running.

I like the slow-burns. The one where you have to protect the different family members seems a bit more investigative and slower to unfold and I like that one a lot because of those reasons. I just wish there was a bit more variety in replaying them. Maybe each family member could have two different dialogue trees or roles and you would get one or the other for each NPC randomly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D James
United Kingdom
Cheltenham
Glos
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoyed this scenario, although one item raised a question. At one point:

Rita entered the Detective's office from the stairs in the basement. He was startled by her trespassing, and the app instructed her to gain the handcuffs common item face down.

The character had no further dialogue options and the implications of having the item were unclear. He didn't seem to have any follow through and Rita continued on her way, which seemed rather odd.

Other than this and a couple of instances where it felt curious that there were no further dialogue options, the scenario seemed to work really well. I particularly liked:

The Detective noticed that I'd searched through his bin because it was in the space adjacent to him, and he commented on it. I hadn't expected that, and it made me wary of being too intrusive when I was a guest in the other characters' houses in case I provoked them!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett Daniel
United States
White Bluff
Tennessee
flag msg tools
I enjoyed Rising Tide a lot; it's my favorite out of the ones I've played which is all except the third. Mainly for the same reasons others have mentioned, and how it feels like a real investigation with all the characters, dialogue, locations, and clues. I felt like I was in Innsmouth more than I did in the 2nd scenario and I liked seeing a lot of different tiles due to clearing the board. I won on my first try by picking a suspect who I thought was off and I was right. One-shotted both of them with a carbine, I believe. I'd like to see more of these slow-burn/mystery scenarios in the future with a little more replayability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oliblish wrote:
I really enjoyed this scenario, although one item raised a question. At one point:

Rita entered the Detective's office from the stairs in the basement. He was startled by her trespassing, and the app instructed her to gain the handcuffs common item face down.

The character had no further dialogue options and the implications of having the item were unclear. He didn't seem to have any follow through and Rita continued on her way, which seemed rather odd.

Did you read the back of the Handcuffs card?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Martin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I didn't care for this scenario at all. By far the worse. You barely roll any dice during all the build up! Not worth the time and effort. It came down to the wire for us... an investigator died... Mostly due to the cheap unblockable horror at the end of each stage... And we had to make three successful evade checks (out of four possible trys) on our last turn to end the rituals. The symbol puzzle was a pretty epic piece of deduction and the last puzzle was solved with our final clue token but it still didn't seem that satisfying.

I've enjoyed all our other sessions much more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Martin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I should add that it really seems odd to have such a lengthy scenario that eliminates 90% of the game mechanics from near 90% of the run time. We only made two horror checks! And maybe four combat rolls in three or so hours (We killed one Priest of Dagon, Wounded a cultist and evaded a child of Dagon). Considering the length of the quest getting one of the big models on the board might have been more exciting. The 'mystery' was way too easy so we started the final stage with everything right in front of us.

We also never used a spell (the backs of the cards can be fun and wacky). Never had a condition affect anyone. Gained a ton of items we never needed and never really needed any of our special abilities. So what's the point?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it varies. We used one spell many times to get rid of horror.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.