Subject: Essen Buzz? Leaderboard? Geekbuzz? Card? How does it work? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
aeegik norstvv
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
surprisecry

I'm really confused! I'd like to know how the "bgg-buzz-leaderboard" at Essen works. I know it has to do with going to the laptops at the bgg stand in Essen Spiel, and rating games there.

But I'd like to have some more information.

The only thing I've found so far is this. But it doesn't really answer my questions.

https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Geek_Buzz#

Can someone explain?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, it's pretty simple : basically it's a list of big release games from publishers with lots of tables in the neighborhood of the BGG booth.

The day they restrict input/voting access to actual BGG users is the day I'll start paying attention to it.

edit : the first year they did that you actually saw groups of people stop and look at and discuss the listings and you had to queue to get to the laptops - last year practically nobody watched the big screen and the laptops were free both times we passed by.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aeegik norstvv
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:
basically it's a list of big release games from publishers with lots of tables in the neighborhood of the BGG booth.

But how does it work? The list is dynamic, and based on input from essen visitors, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Geert Vinaskov wrote:
eddy_sterckx wrote:
basically it's a list of big release games from publishers with lots of tables in the neighborhood of the BGG booth.

But how does it work? The list is dynamic, and based on input from essen visitors, right?

Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aeegik norstvv
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:
Yes.
Don't want to seem dumb, but does it work like this?

1. There's a laptop at the BGG-booth at Spiel Essen.
2. A special page is opened on that laptop, which lists all games in the BGG database.
3. Everyone (without login required) can go there and rate a game of their choice.
4. The games that get the "best" ratings (not the most) come up at the leaderboard at bgg.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Geert Vinaskov wrote:
eddy_sterckx wrote:
Yes.

2. A special page is opened on that laptop, which lists all games in the BGG database.
3. Everyone (without login required) can go there and rate a game of their choice.
4. The games that get the "best" ratings (not the most) come up at the leaderboard at bgg.com

No, that's how it should work - with login required.

This is how it actually works :

1) There are a number of laptops at the BGG booth
2) BGG staff members hand out access key cards to everyone passing by - pass by 20 times and you can amass 20 cards.
3) Typing in the key card code gives you access to a list with all games released at Spiel - you thumb those you like
4) A top 20 is created from the most thumbed games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geert Vinaskov wrote:
eddy_sterckx wrote:
Yes.

1. yes
2. yes
3. you can get a card with a password to login and then "rate" the games of your choice and then come back later if you want to add more games
4. yes and no, the only way to "rate" is to thumb a game you like, no dislikes, no more subtle rating, so the games that have the best rating are simply the ones that got the most thumbs up.

In additon to 1. you can usually also use those login-cards to login to the Buzz page from your mobile and then rate games while walking around in other halls.

In general Eddy does have a point though that it usually ends up being people that are close to the BGG booth get to vote more consistently which is why the results are not extremly representitive.

Edit: in addition to the BGG buzz, the Fairplay scoutlist is doing something similar, but in their case they get votes from (I think) their subscribers and they also offer something like a top 10, I'm not sure where you find that one online, but if you are at Essen and go by the Fairplay booth they have the best/most rated games on display

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ovis wrote:

Edit: in addition to the BGG buzz, the Fairplay scoutlist is doing something similar, but in their case they get votes from (I think) their subscribers and they also offer something like a top 10

Just for giggles I tracked down both top 10 lists from last year - the number is the current geekrating of the game

Fairplay :

1 : La Granja - 7.445
2 : Mombasa - 7.501
3 : Nippon - 7.050
4 : Signorie - 6.667
5 : 7 Wonders Duel - 7.985
6 : Council of four - 6.205
7 : Grand Austria Hotel - 7.134
8 : Codenames - 7.869
9 : Isle of Skye - 7.226
10 : Mysterium - 7.337

Average rating : 7.242

BGG

1 : 7 Wonders: Duel - 7.985
2 : 504 - 6.115
3 : Codenames - 7.869
4 : Mysterium - 7.337
5 : Baby Blues - 5.538
6 : The Bloody Inn - 6.598
7 : TIME Stories - 7.775
8 : Celestia - 6.496
9 : Burger Boss - 5.592
10 :Fog of Love - 5.623

Average rating : 6.693

The inescapable conclusion is that the Fairplay list is a much better representation of what BGG users consider good games than the BGG buzzlist. Pretty much as expected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louisa Berry
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Fairplay list works like this:

If you arent a subscriber you go and fill in a little card to get a username. You then get given a sheet of a4 paper with the games from essen on it. You then give the ones youve played a score. I think its a score out of 5, with 1 being the highest.

(someone please correct me if Im misremembering the scoring part.)

You then hand that back in and they average out the numbers and make a list from that. You can go back another time and rank some more stuff by getting a new sheet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
startrouble wrote:
The Fairplay list works like this:

If you arent a subscriber you go and fill in a little card to get a username. You then get given a sheet of a4 paper with the games from essen on it. You then give the ones youve played a score. I think its a score out of 5, with 1 being the highest.

You then hand that back in and they average out the numbers and make a list from that. You can go back another time and rank some more stuff by getting a new sheet.

Didn't know you can did it without being a subscriber, thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
startrouble wrote:
You then give the ones youve played a score. I think its a score out of 5, with 1 being the highest.

I suppose it's 1-6 as in the german school noting system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.