Popular Tags: [View All]
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules don't spell it out, but we assumed NPCs are not affected by a change in the weather.
Correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't read the nor own the game, but that would really suck if the NPC's are not affected by a change of weather!
Then I rather stick to Race! Formula 90!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Horger
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
weishaupt wrote:
The rules don't spell it out, but we assumed NPCs are not affected by a change in the weather.
Correct?

Having to manage every NPC team seemed extreme. The game assumes that they will manage their own tires and the players do not have to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Horger
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Slotracer wrote:
I haven't read the nor own the game, but that would really suck if the NPC's are not affected by a change of weather!

If you want that level of detail, you may be correct. For me, there is a limit as to what I want to capture in a game. Running 14 non-player team pit stops after a Weather Change card comes out just isn't one of them. If that makes you happy then I am glad that there is a game on the market that covers it for you. In my 100 or so games I came to realize that skilled players in Grand Prix can pit and exit quickly enough that little or nothing is lost by not having the NPC's pit. Inexperienced players may suffer more, but I do like to give small advantages to experienced players. It simply was not necessary to force all of the NPC's into the pit to change tires. By keeping them on the track, it keeps the game flowing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Slotracer wrote:

I have both games, and both go a good job of getting the feel of open wheel road course racing. Grand Prix is a little lighter & faster paced. RF90 is a bit more strategic and gets deeper into the details. For me they are different enough to be able to share space on the shelf.

I haven't had to deal with weather change in either game, so cannot comment to that specific case yet. I have seen a yellow and an "act of God" player car retirement in GP and it kind of sucked, but that's how things go sometimes in real racing, so is just part of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ismael Descolado
Brazil
Curitiba
Paraná
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Slotracer wrote:

[sorry my english]

Just one caveat:

In Race! Formula 90 the NPCs are affected if the weather change from SUN to RAIN (this situation is not possible, is necessary the weather change of SUN to INTERMEDIATE and INTERMEDIATE to RAIN).

The NPCs aren't affected if the weather change from SUN to INTERMEDIATE or from INTERMEDIATE to RAIN (human player are affected in this conditions). In other words, there are moments in the race that the NPCs aren't affected by weather change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom Walla
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
We had the exact same thing come up in our last game. Weather changed from sun to rain. All player cars pitted and the two NPC cars affected by the card pitted. However all other NPC cars stayed out on the track because we couldn't find any rule that made them pit even though it seemed logical. End result was that the race finished with 9 NPC cars in the points as only one player car could catch up after the pit stop. Seemed kind of odd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Corvette wrote:
We had the exact same thing come up in our last game. Weather changed from sun to rain. All player cars pitted and the two NPC cars affected by the card pitted. However all other NPC cars stayed out on the track because we couldn't find any rule that made them pit even though it seemed logical. End result was that the race finished with 9 NPC cars in the points as only one player car could catch up after the pit stop. Seemed kind of odd.

If the change in weather happened so close to the end of the race, the best thing for players would probably have been to bite the bullet, take whatever penalty the card stipulated (usually one or two close call markers), and keep going.
Unless some of them had to pit in order to ensure they had worn two different types of tires, of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff Horger wrote:
weishaupt wrote:
Correct?

Having to manage every NPC team seemed extreme. The game assumes that they will manage their own tires and the players do not have to.

Seems reasonable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
While we're comparing Grand Prix to RF90: one thing I really like in Grand Prix is the fact that you're never sure when neutral cards will "decide" to pit (and which ones). It keeps bugging me that you know exactly when each neutral car will pit in FR90.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.