$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 80.83

5,415 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
34.1% of Goal | 27 Days Left

Support:

Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In Marshlands, the Temple ability allows you to remove one of your settlements from the board, then build it as an additional settlement during your mandatory action next turn. This can (and almost always will) cause you to have more than 3 settlements for your mandatory Action.

The Families scoring card from the Nomads expansion gives you 2 gold (VP) for building "all 3 settlements of the mandatory action adjacent to each other in a straight line". What's the interaction there?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In the absence of counsel from the designer, I'd say you need to line up all 4 of the Temple-enhanced mandatory settlements to score the Families gold.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carthoris wrote:
In the absence of counsel from the designer, I'd say you need to line up all 4 of the Temple-enhanced mandatory settlements to score the Families gold.


See, my interpretation was the opposite - just need to do 3 in a row, so you can't do it on the "2" turn and just need 3 of the 4 on the "4" turn.

Simply remove the perhaps-unnecessary word "all" from the Families text and mine would make sense, I think.

OTOH, simply remove the number "3" for yours to make sense.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I would modify it to be "All of your mandatory settlements (of which there must be at least 3)."

You wouldn't award Families gold for a final turn in which the player only placed two mandatory settlements, for example.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carthoris wrote:
I would modify it to be "All of your mandatory settlements (of which there must be at least 3)."

You wouldn't award Families gold for a final turn in which the player only placed two mandatory settlements, for example.


Sure, but it could just be "do 3 of your mandatory settlements in a line." It would follow your point but would still allow you to move the 4th one somewhere else
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'm trying to salvage the "all" in the rule. It makes it a little harder to score the Families, to be sure.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see a difference between the 3 settlements in a regular mandatory action, and the extra settlement that you place during the same phase.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I don't have Marshlands yet, so I was cuing off your language in the first post:
Quote:
build ... as an additional settlement during your mandatory action next turn

If it is during your mandatory action, I see it as an integral set of four settlements. If it is just "during the ... phase" of the mandatory action, that is a subtle difference that supports your reading.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
LastFootnote wrote:
In Marshlands, the Temple ability allows you to remove one of your settlements from the board, then build it as an additional settlement during your mandatory action next turn. This can (and almost always will) cause you to have more than 3 settlements for your mandatory Action.

The Families scoring card from the Nomads expansion gives you 2 gold (VP) for building "all 3 settlements of the mandatory action adjacent to each other in a straight line". What's the interaction there?

Families doesn't care about the extra settlement, doesn't look at it.

It's possible I would interpret the rulebook differently but I don't have it handy and that was the intention.
13 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Wallin
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
donaldx wrote:
LastFootnote wrote:
In Marshlands, the Temple ability allows you to remove one of your settlements from the board, then build it as an additional settlement during your mandatory action next turn. This can (and almost always will) cause you to have more than 3 settlements for your mandatory Action.

The Families scoring card from the Nomads expansion gives you 2 gold (VP) for building "all 3 settlements of the mandatory action adjacent to each other in a straight line". What's the interaction there?

Families doesn't care about the extra settlement, doesn't look at it.

It's possible I would interpret the rulebook differently but I don't have it handy and that was the intention.


how about the marshlands' special terrain type that lets you build only 2 settlements? is it "all" as in all settlements that your mandatory action card provides? or is it "3" as in exactly 3 mandatory settlements?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
davogotland wrote:
how about the marshlands' special terrain type that lets you build only 2 settlements? is it "all" as in all settlements that your mandatory action card provides? or is it "3" as in exactly 3 mandatory settlements?

The rulebook .pdf I am looking at says "all 3," so it has to be 3 for you to get the points.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.