25.3% of Goal | 29 Days Left

Support:

Chris McLeod
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, this might be my new favourite game of all time. It was really pricey in Canada, but now that I have the Deluxe edition, I can attest that it was super worth it. While I really appreciate the great component quality, that huge Deluxe box its hardly travel worthy. Also, I kind of dislike tokens in general and much prefer dice So I've set out to pimp out my Codex set. Here's what I've come up with so far. Please feel free to contribute ideas.

12mm Dice to replace many of the tokens The dice are easy to read and manipulate, but don't overcrowd the card the way the tokens do:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01F8TSC5C/ref=oh_aui_detai...

Gold - Gold count, worker count, hero levels.
Red - Base\tech\addon HP, damage on other targets.
Green - Conditional effects that increase the power of things (not an actual +1/+1 token). Sometimes it's hard for people to see those types of conditional effects, so I find these really help with that. The +1/+1 tokens themselves are easy enough to use, and don't occur or change that often. Same with the -1/-1 tokens.
Black - I'm sure something will come up. Everyone loves black dice.

Dragon Shield sleeves on all regular sized cards. I wanted to keep the original card backs and this was the only way I could think to easily differentiate them. The Codex sleeves mean you can't easily sort token cards from non-token cards by backs alone.

Scythe Coins - Metal coins are something I've wanted for awhile now, and these look like the best value, utility, and style. There are so many games with annoying-as-f*ck coins (I'm looking at you Five Tribes), and many more that would simply benefit from having really awesome looking and feeling coins (Jamaica!). While I may end up returning to dice, I'm certainly willing to try again once I get the metal ones.

Small travel box for dice and non-codex cards. Definitely a work in progress. I think the key is to get the right size of box so that the dividers help instead of adding to the insanity. As is, the cards and dice fly all over the place when I travel. I'll probably use foam core to make some divider grooves or something. Toss all the dice in the adjacent section maybe.

Codex binder carrying solution? Another work in progress. As is, I toss the binders into my book bag. The problem is if the binder is placed upside down (which is pretty easy to do given the omni-directional art), many of the cards fly out. To be fair, since I don't have the sleeves yet, they might fit much better once sleeved. Problem solved. I guess I need a box that fits exactly?

Anyhow, once it's all put together, I'll snap some pics together. For the moment. I'd love to hear your thoughts and if anyone else has started to pimp out their Codex set. Thanks for reading.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kraus
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also sleeved my entire game in Dragon Shields. Clear for the double sided cards, and the Heroes. Blue for the tokens. Black for all the main cards.

I purchased the metal Arcadia Quest coins as I wanted gold color, and metal. They are all the same so the piles can get pretty big but they are chunky and satisfying to hold.

I also use dice. Red for the base health and unit/hero health. Blue for the levels.

One issue I have found is that once you sleeve all of your cards, you will not be able to fit all of the binders back into the box, they puff up too much. I am hoping some solution for that presents itself but as of yet I have not found one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McLeod
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice! Those are sweet coins too.

For the box, it's kind of just a display piece for me. While, it doesn't have room for my play mats OR the sleeved-card binders, I think that's okay. The binders are now sitting vertically on a shelf, book-style. I actually, really like it as it makes setup super fast. Yank them off the shelf and get my dice\starter deck box, done. Also, since I travel with the game often, the Deluxe box isn't really an option at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessie Ulii
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've put all my cards in Dragon Shield sleeves based on their colors. If I ever decide to mix up the heroes then I'll change them. I tossed out the HP tracker and replaced it with my Battlecon one. Same concept but the trackers aren't attached so I can keep it on my side. The damage tokens have been replaced with Pixel Tactics damage tokens, and the gold with my metal viticulture coins. I split a copy of the Core set with my friend, despite already having the deluxe, so that I have a copy of the game boards since the mats don't fit in my box. Then I placed all of it in my Zombicide Season 1 box because it's big enough to hold everything without having it go all over the place while traveling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
NASA Dawn approaching Ceres
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the dice idea.

What did you do with the neutral spec faction decks? They don't have a binder, do they?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K R
msg tools
Quote:
The problem is if the binder is placed upside down (which is pretty easy to do given the omni-directional art)

There IS the 'arrow' on it pointing in the 'up' direction

Also, for ideal pimping:
Something like this: http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Liz-ONBC/media/Club%20Dumas/...
One or two, to fit all the binders. And a last one to fit the starter and token cards, and all the tokens/dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tan Song
msg tools
Think I've found my hero. I found it strange that the tech buildings have health but no health tracker. Not to mention the trackers can only accommodate two players. Mind if you let us know how many dices you bought in total and how you allocated them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Wilhelmi
Germany
Husum
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got myself some marbleized gold discs as gold counter replacements.

While I played with the idea of getting some metal coins, they are much cheaper and fit perfectly with the overall design of the game.

I also use my set of marbleized small six sided dice, which were part of my MtG setup over the years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Greer
United States
Mint Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even with the sleeves, some cards will fly out upside down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Johnson

Athens
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmb
As has been said here, once you sleeve your cards, the binders don't fit back in the box well. Additionally, if you are pre-loading all the faction binders, the large card well next to the binders becomes pretty useless.

Solution?

Ditch the plastic insert! You can stack the binders in two piles and then bag up each faction and set them on top of the binders. You can bag the tokens up too. Or, a thin plastic container could probably still fit in the box and allow the lid to close flush. Another nice perk to this storage solution is that (in addition to using the original box) the box is weighted more evenly, instead of just one side being awkwardly overloaded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.