Subject: Why is this game so expensive? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Donald M.
United States
Sweet Grass
Montana
flag msg tools
Compared to others in this series, does this game offer fair value for it's cost?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duarte
Portugal
Ponte de Lima
Ponte de Lima
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because it's the thing nowadays. Since the business is growing, let's take advantage of it before it blows up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oiler1 wrote:
Compared to others in this series, does this game offer fair value for it's cost?

From what I have seen in reviews, the gameplay is't that great. But pricewise, it is a double sided board, so think of it as a $50 TTR base game plus a $30 map expansion...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aldaryn wrote:
Oiler1 wrote:

From what I have seen in reviews, the gameplay is't that great. But pricewise, it is a double sided board, so think of it as a $50 TTR base game plus a $30 map expansion...
Most of the map expansions are double sided so not a great value even if you think of it like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
To be fair, in addition to the double-sided map, it does add a second set of player pieces (ships) and a third set of cards (ship cards). However, Derek's comment about gameplay is what's slowing me down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Butterfly0038 wrote:
To be fair, in addition to the double-sided map, it does add a second set of player pieces (ships) and a third set of cards (ship cards). However, Derek's comment about gameplay is what's slowing me down.
Just take a look at the Dice Tower video and you will get a pretty good sense of the flaws of the game. The way the pool of train/ship cards work is pretty bad, and the choose your own number of starting trains/ships is a terrible design decision IMO, even if they provide some recommended numbers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald M.
United States
Sweet Grass
Montana
flag msg tools
I think I'll wait this one out until more people review it. Games are getting more expensive in general, but i have limited budget.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think based purely on materials alone, it is commensurate price-wise with existing TTR products.

I own all the core games and expansions to date, but this is not an insta-buy for me. I don't think it's overpriced necessarily, but it is still expensive... And I don't know if I need a Ticket To Ride that takes twice as long to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Mahr
Austria
flag msg tools
ras2124 wrote:
[...] the choose your own number of starting trains/ships is a terrible design decision IMO, even if they provide some recommended numbers.
Why? Like you said, they provide some basic setups, so no harm done. And for the experienced players after several plays it probably provides meaningful decisions.

I'm in line with pretty much everything else written in this thread. Given the material with big double board and boats in plastic and cards, the price seems "normal". (I couldn't care less, about the miniatures might be a bit cheaper according to Sam.)

But, although I never played the game yet myself, the points made by Miami Dice sound cogent to me. I would not seek out a TtR, which increases length and possibly luck to the game, but not depth. It's very likely, that this game would overstay it's welcome with me. The couple in our group, who owns TtR recently bought the UK map pack, and I'm looking forward to try this one out. R&B however looks like a pass to me. Who cares, if a game has double amount of components, if the gameplay does not deliver. I'd rather play a regular TtR, which lasts half of the time, or a deeper game, like Brass, if there is enough time for R&B.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Peterson
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
schwartz!
badge
My hovercraft is full of eels!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm guessing Asmodee may have something to do with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Raciborski
United States
Newport News
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MungSu wrote:
I'm guessing Asmodee may have something to do with it.

Along with a lot of publishers under Asmodee, Asmodee picked up FFG, hence their increase, lack of availability online, they cherry picked a few high volume retailers.. I remember Noble Knight Games getting the Asmodee boot.

Just saw this game, then that artificial MSRP, I think we need a reality check?

I could have picked up an anniversary TtR edition cheaper then that, around $65.

No, it isn't worth a MSRP of $80, if I use that MSRP price across other non Asmodee controlled products to compare "worth", or what's in the box, what I get out of playing it. I would say $35 tops, but that's just me, I am very tired of this rehashed game.

The price seems very arbitrary at first glance.

Seems board games need to be sold as luxury items, we need to be buying less, so that we appreciate them, we need to be charged more.

https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/4aqp5g/anton_to...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.