Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Derrick
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The headline of "Coal Field Wars" reads: "During the Elections, the player that wins above receives 1 Vote."

However, this is a 1910 / 3rd Era card.

--> page 14: "There is no Mayoral elections at the end of the 3rd Era."

So, what, if anything, does this Headline do?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Dave
United States
La Jolla
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robmderrick wrote:
The headline of "Coal Field Wars" reads: "During the Elections, the player that wins above receives 1 Vote."

Interesting! I haven't run into that card yet, so I can't be completely sure that what I'm about to say is the only answer.

There is one variant in which VP for white city cubes are awarded to the player who wins that round's election (so that player who starts as Mayor in the first era doesn't automatically get those points in the first era). In this variant you do carry out an election at the end of the game to award the era 3 white city cube VP, so at the very least this card is usable in that variant.

And speaking of, I recommend that variant 100%.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Lloyd
United States
Colorado Springs
CO
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
whattheproblemis wrote:
robmderrick wrote:

Interesting! I haven't run into that card yet, so I can't be completely sure that what I'm about to say is the only answer.

There is one variant in which VP for white city cubes are awarded to the player who wins that round's election (so that player who starts as Mayor in the first era doesn't automatically get those points in the first era). In this variant you do carry out an election at the end of the game to award the era 3 white city cube VP, so at the very least this card is usable in that variant.

And speaking of, I recommend that variant 100%.

You are both correct. With the base version of the rules the Headline for Coalfield Wars would not do anything. Players would still Headline the card, per the game rules, though. When players use the Power of Elections variant then, as Dave mentioned, there would be an Election during the 1910 era.

On a side note, there is a total of four cards that have a Headline that affects The Elections. Those cards are (1890) City Consolidation, (1890) Smoke is Progress, (1900) Children, and (1910) Coalfield Wars. It is possible that any of those cards could be headlined in the final 1910 era.

In hindsight, I probably should have removed the Headline from Coalfield Wars, but I left it in because of the variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Derrick
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Lloyd! Played our first game last night, loved it.

I was convinced to buy it solely by another friend's recommendation.

I once toyed with the idea of a similar game, but, designing a good game is actually hard, and I am daunted by the effort involved, not to mention the creative spark.

However, I had the theme that I wanted to do. But how to create the mechanisms to make it work.

My friend said to me, "This is the game that you wanted to make!"

And, he is absolutely right.

The notes in the Companion Guide said, "I would like to see versions using Chicago, Dodge City, or may some other little-know region with a fascinating past" using the mechanics of this game.

So would I. The likely named game would have been "The War of the Copper Kings", and it would have been the history of Butte Montana, the "Richest Hill on Earth", from its days as a gold mining camp in the late 1800's, through the times of the mine and politics wars of Marcus Daly and William Clark, up to the Augustus Heinze precipitation of the 1907 Copper Crash.

Who knows, maybe someday. But, definitely many thanks to you all for making this game, and showing how it could be done!

-- rob derrick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Lloyd
United States
Colorado Springs
CO
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
robmderrick wrote:
Thank you Lloyd! Played our first game last night, loved it.

I was convinced to buy it solely by another friend's recommendation.

I once toyed with the idea of a similar game, but, designing a good game is actually hard, and I am daunted by the effort involved, not to mention the creative spark.

However, I had the theme that I wanted to do. But how to create the mechanisms to make it work.

My friend said to me, "This is the game that you wanted to make!"

And, he is absolutely right.

The notes in the Companion Guide said, "I would like to see versions using Chicago, Dodge City, or may some other little-know region with a fascinating past" using the mechanics of this game.

So would I. The likely named game would have been "The War of the Copper Kings", and it would have been the history of Butte Montana, the "Richest Hill on Earth", from its days as a gold mining camp in the late 1800's, through the times of the mine and politics wars of Marcus Daly and William Clark, up to the Augustus Heinze precipitation of the 1907 Copper Crash.

Who knows, maybe someday. But, definitely many thanks to you all for making this game, and showing how it could be done!

-- rob derrick

Hey Rob!
Thank you for the kind words. Wade put a lot of blood, sweat, tears, and love into Forged in Steel. In my opinion, historical based non-wargames are rare, but they have such an interesting opportunity to inject rich theme into the mechanisms. This was one of the reasons why I chose Forged in Steel to be in the Knight Works line of games. Plus, I love the CDG aspect and city building. I am a big fan of building out areas and watching empires unfold!

I totally agree about games taking a huge amount of effort to complete. Creating the idea/concept for a game is usually spontaneous, but turning that idea into a prototype version with a rulebook is a labor of love.

By the way, being from North Dakota, I have heard quite a bit about the history of Butte Montana. I think you have a good starting point for the games theme. I wish you the best of luck on that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Broadhead
United States
Pueblo
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Rob, those are some kind words and the main reward to a designer is that somewhere, someplace, your game have someone a little intellectual stimulation and joy. I was always surprised no one completed a game like this as I worked on the design so we continued on and refined it a ton, simplifying some exciting but hopelessly complex aspects. I watched in disbelief wargame after wargame CDG get popped out and now non wargames (or few).

I'm now working on the Chicago edition and a CDG pick up and deliver on Florence, Italy but I always envisioned refining the mechanics of Forged each game and adding slightly new mechanics that tied to the history of the place. Butte, Montana would be another great one with mining and city building booms tied together and some serious immigration shenanigans.

If you have time follow your passion, would love to see another hybrid game get released like this and play your vision of history.

History shouldn't just be studied, it should be played.

Cheers,
Wade
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.