Popular Tags: [View All]
Brett MacDonald
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got the following email from the creators

Fantasmagoria wrote:

Dear backer,

with this message we intend to inform you about something, which could be a very important information for some potential backers around you, or for you in general. We believe that our initial intention was misunderstood, mainly due to the reason that we never stated this clear enough (our fault - sorry for that), but only mentioned it in some PMs, comments or indirectly in the pledge descriptions. Long story short:

THERE WILL BE NO RETAIL OF THIS VERSION OF THE EXPANSION Battalia: The Stormgates CEdition. For now we do not plan to work on this base in general.

We didn't call the expansion box Kickstarter exclusive right away, only because due to some manufacturing restrictions after the campaign we will round up the total of games to produce to a reasonable number and it is possible that we could supply some retailers in small numbers, but this will be more or less only an exception and it is highly unlikely to happen overseas because of logistic problems. Our intention was to make a strong campaign and to work mainly for the Kickstarter community this time with this format of the product, not like last time with the basic game. For now we do not plan to have other versions for retail and there are tons of reasons for this decision, which are difficult to explain in short message like this.

Important for you is just to keep this info in mind and potentially warn people around you, who possibly count on retail to buy the game later.
There will be a pledge manager for those who are not able to spent money on the project right now in this moment, but as you know those pledges will not contribute to the greater goal of unlocking more SGs. Please excuse us, that we are making this official so late, but for us it was clear from the beginning and we thought that the most people understand that too. Unfortunately in the last days we realized that we are making a big mistake and too many backers are not aware about this fact.
Thanks for your support, for your understanding and keep up your great work, we appreciate that ! Viva la Battalia !

Just a heads up for people who might be on the fence and didn't get this. This is both concerning AND good? Concerning in that they don't feel confident in a retail release... and good in that it is an exclusive thing that might have better resell value as the core game grows in popularity?

Really don't know why this wasn't made clear/known from day one but we'll see how it pans out. I really enjoyed the base game (great quality, well run campaign) so I'm in for this one... but it has been an odd campaign.

UPDATE:

Creators posted this in the comments elaborating a little further:

Fantasmagoria wrote:
...just to clarify something - the box is not KS exclusive, but similar to that. KS exclusive means making a promise that it will be available ONLY to KS backers. This is not our case, since it will be distributed, but not in a larger scale. This fact has nothing to do with believing or not in the potential of the game or of the whole universe. I would never work so hard for it, if I didn't believe in it - this is just because we know how the reality looks like, we have our experience with the basic game and we won't do some mistakes again, since we know the cost of them. I can assure you that this could change if we find a really strong partner/support for worldwide distribution and co-productions in the future (but this will probably not happen very soon to catch up with the first print run, I'm talking from my experience with those things and it is a lot), but this decision is ours and it is made long ago. You want me to be shorter in my explanations - so those are the facts - This expansion will hit the retail after the KS delivery only in very small quantities mostly in Europe and this has nothing to do with the development of this campaign, but with our wish to follow more secure/conservative approach this time, since we know the difficulties of the opposite. It is really to long to make a detailed explanation for the reasons, but believe me we have enough of them and this has nothing to do with the believing or not in the product you are about to receive after the campaign. You will receive quality and that's it - the rest is about calculations, which are too complicated to make them public .... I hope you understand!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felipe Bulhões
Brazil
flag msg tools
mb
Re: Expansion is KS exclusive
If Battalia ever gets popular, I seriously doubt this expansion will remain "exclusive".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznan
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it very amusing that they've plastered the "retail" word everywhere in this campaign page (it's there even now) and they have the guts to provide such explanations now. Outsmarting the internet usually doesn't work well. Their choice, I guess.

Not that I care, I will get it anyway, as a backer. But they're yet to unlock that elusive "Proper KS communication with no drama" achievement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'm happy to see some expansion material for Battalia and it really is an interesting game, but reading the updates / communications is exhausting sometimes. So much drama. Might be a cultural difference (totally British here) but it really comes across as heavily dramatic, which doesn't inspire confidence, despite the campaign otherwise looking modestly successful and quite a nice extra bundle of stuff for the base game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Boyd
United Kingdom
Newtownards
County Down
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rattkin wrote:
Not that I care, I will get it anyway, as a backer. But they're yet to unlock that elusive "Proper KS communication with no drama" achievement.

I just laughed out loud at this. I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling the desperation and inner turmoil coming through!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.