40.7% of Goal | left

Support:

H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) If you have a game you love but everyone in your game group(s) consistently hate/dislike it and it can never get to the table, do you like it as much? Do you keep it?

2) What if you only liked it somewhat?

3) If you have a game you absolutely hate but everyone in your game groups consistently love/like it a lot and it often gets to the, do you like it as much? Do you keep it?

4) What if you only disliked it somewhat and didnt hate it?

5) What about a game that hits the table a lot but is meh or eh to you - do you keep it?

6) What percentage of your games are ones you like, and what percentage is ones you got and kept mainly because friends/families/others liked it? How many games do you have total?

The geek ratings give me some issues. I must like the game. It has to be good ish to me at least, at least at a 5.5 preferably, but ideally 7+. There's some games that are 4s to me "Not so good - but could play again." that I strongly don't wish to keep. But the issue is that I "could play again"...so maybe I shouldn't sell/trade it? Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Glyn
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
NowOrNever88 wrote:
1) If you have a game you love but everyone in your game group(s) consistently hate/dislike it and it can never get to the table, do you like it as much? Do you keep it?

I'd keep it. Maybe I'll find someone who likes to play it with me. I don't have any games that everyone outright refuses to play.

NowOrNever88 wrote:

Try to sell/trade it.

NowOrNever88 wrote:
3) If you have a game you absolutely hate but everyone in your game groups consistently love/like it a lot and it often gets to the, do you like it as much? Do you keep it?

Give it to one of them.

NowOrNever88 wrote:

Probably waiver on whether or not to give it to them. Not sure where the threshold would be on this.

NowOrNever88 wrote:
5) What about a game that hits the table a lot but is meh or eh to you - do you keep it?

Isn't this kinda like #4? Give it to a friend if they love it, or trade/sell it.

NowOrNever88 wrote:
6) What percentage of your games are ones you like, and what percentage is ones you got and kept mainly because friends/families/others liked it? How many games do you have total?

I have about 25 games. I don't care much for Dominion and will probably give it away to someone close to me or trade/sell it locally. I enjoy the rest of my games, because I over-analyze my purchases and have a small collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

If I love it I'll keep it.

Get rid of it. Read this wrong the first time. I'd keep the game.

3) If you have a game you absolutely hate but everyone in your game groups consistently love/like it a lot and it often gets to the table, do you like it as much? Do you keep it?

Depends who the people are that love it and how much I like those people.

4) What if you only disliked it somewhat and didn't hate it?

Same answer as No. 3

More often than not I'll hang on to it.

6) What percentage of your games are ones you like, and what percentage are ones you got and kept mainly because friends/families/others liked it? How many games do you have total?[/q]

I have approximately 100 games total. Of those, 40 remain unplayed so of the remaining 60, I'd say 55 are games I actually like. I'm fortunate in that my group has a really wide appetite in terms of what they'll play, as do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmb

I like it as much and yes, I keep it.

I'd still keep it but *might* entertain trading.

More than likely, unless I get a knockout trade offer.

More than likely keep it, save for the knockout trade offer.

That's a keeper.

Eesch.

Percentage, I probably like 95%+ of my games.

I have near 1300.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Keep. I've got games like that. Sure it's frustrating but you don't always play with the same people. Eventually it hits the table

Eh, if then I might get rid of it. Depends if it shows favor with my regular groups and no one else owns it or it's OOP.

If that's the case then someone else usually buys it or I offer them to buy it/trade from me. If I hated the game I likely wouldn't have bought it. Usually I hate other games someone else brings to my groups.

I keep a tight collection. If it's a game I dislike but others love, they likely own it too so I'd get rid of it as above.

If I like a mechanic of the game I'll try and find a BETTER game that does something similar. I can't think of something I'd find "meh" that I couldn't do that eventually.

It's my collection. Not someone else's. I get that you need to have some fluff in a collection for warm up games etc, but I don't keep anything I wouldn't want to play myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
NowOrNever88 wrote:

Depends on the likelihood that I might someday find somebody to play it with, and its value. For example, TI3 is notoriously difficult to get to the table even for players who love it, plus it's worth a lot, has a large market, and could readily be replaced if circumstances changed, so I would probably liquidate it. However, a shorter, lighter game that could easily hit the table often if I found the right partner(s), wouldn't be able to easily dispose of, and would be difficult to replace could stay.

NowOrNever88 wrote:

Then it's certainly gone if I could sell/trade it at all.

NowOrNever88 wrote:

If I hate it, then it's gone and somebody else can buy it.

NowOrNever88 wrote:

Then I probably keep it and play it with them until I truly do hate it.

NowOrNever88 wrote:
If nobody (I or others) likes it, then why are we playing it? Gone.

NowOrNever88 wrote:

I have around fifty games, but it's a hard question to answer: for me, games are all about the social dynamic, so if I like a game, it's because there are people who I can play it with and everybody has a good time, so I guess all of my games are ones that I like and that others like?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Watne
United States
Burlington
Washington
flag msg tools
Good times.
mbmbmbmbmb
NowOrNever88 wrote:

Yes and yes. If I love it, then I love it. Not having a regular opportunity to play it doesn't phase my ardor. I'll keep it as well, because you never know when an opportunity to play will arise, and games eventually become almost impossible to track down.

NowOrNever88 wrote:

Then it depends. If I'm lukewarm on a game and my group hates it, I'll keep it if it (A) seems like it has enough potential for me to eventually seek out a group for it, (B) adds something unique or distinct to my collection, or (C) I feel like it.

NowOrNever88 wrote:

On occasion, playing a game that doesn't hook me initially with a group who loves the game can open my eyes to elements that I grow to appreciate. I'd keep it regardless of my personal feelings if I knew it was a favorite of people in my group (or I'd gift my copy to them).

NowOrNever88 wrote:

Essentially the same answer as above.

NowOrNever88 wrote:

Ditto.

NowOrNever88 wrote:

I like about 75% of my collection. Of the remaining 25%, most are games which I either purchased blindly that fell flat or games which have since been outclassed by later acquisitions. I think I only have 2 games that I knew I disliked but acquired anyway because I knew others liked them (and they're kinda the same game - "Apples to Apples" and "Cards Against Humanity"), mostly so that I can turn those groups loose to entertain themselves while I cook before/after the main event.

According to BGG, I own 254 games. That includes expansions and promos, and omits non-BGG items (prototypes, RPGs, video games, etc).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its really interesting hearing how many people somewhat keep games they dislike, for the sake of their friends and such. I'm stricken on this, and its the main reason I made this thread. My own answers:

If I love it, I will keep it no matter what.

If I liked it somewhat but can never play it, I won't bother keeping it.

I would get rid of games I hate, regardless if others love them.

Not sure. I think I would still get rid of games I dislike but others love and strive for games that everyone likes (me and them).

If it hits the table a lot, I would consider keeping it but try to find another better game to replace it...so I'd probably get rid of it too.

I have about 20 games, of which I am extremely fond of 5 or so. So I like about 25%. I'm neutral to 10 ish, so 50% eh to them. Then I'm negative to the last 5. So 25% negative. 25% positive, 25% negative, 50% neutral.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NowOrNever88 wrote:

Yes, I most certainly keep it. I've been in the Hobby for a long, long time, and it's sad to say, but, sometimes, game groups come and go. Maybe I'll have better luck getting it played with a future group. Or maybe I'll make a new gamer friend on the side who likes that particular game. Hope springs eternal, and all that jazz.

NowOrNever88 wrote:

If I don't really like the game, or it's not at least intended for play with my young nieces and nephews, then I've probably already gotten rid of it.

NowOrNever88 wrote:

Ewwwww. Yuch. No, I don't purchase or keep any game I hate regardless of whether my group wants to play it. They can use their own money for that.

NowOrNever88 wrote:

I still wouldn't own it. If it were my copy, I'd already have given it away or traded it away to someone more appreciative. The only exceptions being - again - intended for play with my younger nephews and nieces.

NowOrNever88 wrote:

Nope. As above.

NowOrNever88 wrote:

I probably have around sixty to eighty games, or so. (My profile here at the 'Geek says a lot more, but it's also counting the expansions which a lot of my games seem to thrive on. I'd say maybe eighty to ninety percent of my collection are games I really like and want to play, and the rest are mostly games I played when younger and keep around for family purposes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomáš Sládek
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yup. If I love I don't care about the opinion of others. I have a game or two that a play once every two years or so, still worth it.

Probably not, a better game will come along. I've sold quite a few games like this.

I don't own a game I absolutelty hate. I probably never even played one.

These are the same question. I have a few such games, I keep them because I see their value to my friends.

90/10 for 60 or so games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Spencerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="NowOrNever88"]1) If you have a game you love but everyone in your game group(s) consistently hate/dislike it and it can never get to the table, do you like it as much? Do you keep it?

If I can't get it to the table, I generally trade it even if it's a game I really love. No point in just having a box on the shelf that never gets played.

Same as #1

If I hate it, I'd probably trade it or give it to them, unless my wife likes it. If we both dislike something, we always get rid of it.

Keep it.

Keep it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only keep games I enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nibble Wut?
United Kingdom
Sittingbourne
Kent
flag msg tools
Do you worship Cthulhu?
badge
Ph'nglui Mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
mbmbmbmbmb
1) If you have a game you love but everyone in your game group(s) consistently hate/dislike it and it can never get to the table, do you like it as much? Do you keep it? KEEP IT WHERE I CAN SEE IT

2) What if you only liked it somewhat? STORE IT AWAY

3) If you have a game you absolutely hate but everyone in your game groups consistently love/like it a lot and it often gets to the, do you like it as much? Do you keep it? GET RID

4) What if you only disliked it somewhat and didnt hate it? GET RID

5) What about a game that hits the table a lot but is meh or eh to you - do you keep it? GET RID

6) What percentage of your games are ones you like, and what percentage is ones you got and kept mainly because friends/families/others liked it? How many games do you have total? 738 AT THE MOMENT, I ONLY WILLINGLY KEEP GAMES I LIKE OR HAVE YET TO PLAY, ALTHOUGH MY TRADE/SALE PILE IS STEADILY GROWING
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bop517 wrote:

I have near 1300.

No way!!! 1300 Games????

You would have to play at least 3.5 games a day to play them each only once in a year.

If you where to play one a day each day it would take you over 3 and a half years to play them all before you would play the same game a second time.

That is like a game ninjaninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dragon
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mb
I really loved Broom Service, however my wife HATES it. She finds it too punishing, where you can lose an entire turn by being brave at the wrong time, or having another player use a card before you wanted it to be played. There's no way to make up for that. I agree with her, but I find it an incredibly engaging aspect of the game, rather than a frustration. We still have it. I'm looking forward to playing it again with another group.

If I need space on my shelf, these will be the first to go. Just sold Mice and Mystics. Will be replacing Machi Koro next.

I can't think of another game I despise like the whole Munchkin family. I've never owned it. I generally do so much research that I won't buy a dud this bad. Again, first to go.

If I owned a copy of Catan, I'd keep it. I really don't like it, but I'd keep it because it's worth pulling out every once in a while for the right group (with the Cities and Knights expansion).

Again, we put a lot of research into our games. However, some are not great 2-player games, so it's hard to bust them out. Though, at the end of the day, I still enjoy them. I'd say I don't have a game I keep for others. If any game I own that I dislike, I'm looking to sell it at on Craigslist or at the next local board game swapmeet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
NowOrNever88 wrote:

Yes,

Quote:

Probably yes unless it's worth over $100 and someone wants to buy it from me and I need money.

Quote:

Yes, but at some point I may send it off to college with my son (I'm looking at you Splendor)

Quote:

See answer to 3)

Quote:

Of course.

Quote:

50% isn like somewhat or more (6 or higher)
15% ish have in my collection for one or more many reasons
35% isn yet to be determined

1,200ish games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TED DORNBOS
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I was asked this question many years ago, and I have four criterion when it comes to selecting a game to add to my collection. During my board game nights, I desire to promote fellowship, fun, and generally a comraderie promoting a "family-like" atmosphere as most of us have no family.

CRITERION

1). I rather be COMPETITIVE and not COMBATIVE. My experience has shown that combative, "King-of-the-hill", duking-it-out-until-you're-the-last-man-standing type games tend to only cause strife, misery, and resentment - not to mention the "waiting" it takes after elimination for the next game to begin.

2). "Play progression" should be at a steady pace. Too many decisions a player has to make on his/her turn tends to slow the game down and leaves all other players waiting far too long - rendering a game to be too slow and laborious - robbing the game of any enjoyment satisfaction. I try to target up to 2 hours on average for the duration of any game.

3). The game and its components must look and be "elegant" and of high quality. Cheap, mediocre, "pencil & paper"-ish, constructs and art will destroy an otherwise excellent game mechanic every time.

4). The "luck/skill" factor of any game should be well-balanced. Too much luck factor (e.g CANDYLAND) and you get a game where players have too little control to influence any outcome, and/or limited means to recover if they find themselves "losing". In CANDYLAND, the original shuffle of the card deck largely determines the game outcome. In contrast, too much skill factor (e.g. Chess) renders the outcome a "forgone conclusion" in deference to a highly skilled player. Therefore only equally skilled chess players truly enjoy the game.

As the skill/luck factor is highly subjective, I'd say roughly a 2/3 skill vs 1/3 luck ratio should render a game highly enjoyable for both novice and experienced player alike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
flag msg tools
NowOrNever88 wrote:

I would keep it, of course. I can find another group to play it with if my main gang doesn't like it. It may not see as much play as I'd like, but I will find opportunities nonetheless.

NowOrNever88 wrote:

As a general rule, I try to play a new game at least once before buying it. At a friend's house, a game meetup, an FLGS with tables, whatever. As such, I usually know whether or not I like a game before I buy it, and obviously I don't buy the ones I don't like.

However, if I had bought a game and later decided that I didn't like it, I would sell or trade it away. If one of my friends loves it and wants to take it, I would give him first dibs. If my entire gang loves it but I don't, I would make a point of telling them I don't like it and want to get rid of it, in order to maximize the chances of it staying in the group, for the benefit of others. But I'm not going to have a game I hate occupying shelf space in my house.*

* If my wife or (future) children loved the game, I would keep it for their sake, but that's about the only reason I can think of.

NowOrNever88 wrote:

I'll keep meh games, sure. I might trade them away in time, but I don't often trade games (unless I actively want to be rid of them), so probably not.

NowOrNever88 wrote:

I don't know exactly how many games I have. Greater than 50, probably. Probably 80-90% are games I like - as I said, it's rare for me to buy a game without having played it at least once. I don't currently keep any of them because of other people - I keep them because I like them, or at least don't hate them enough to want them gone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

If I like it, I like it. I have a few sets of people I can play with, and usually one of the group with like any given game.

Since I spent the money, I'd keep it...unless I could sell it for enough to get something I really wanted. Sometimes there is more value in just holding on to something.

Again, if I hate a game, I hate it. If my group likes it, I will take one for the team and play it.

Same as above

I'll play it, but I hope it's short and we can play something else the same night.

I have 23 games (I think), and I have about three that I don't really care about, but if someone wanted to play them I would,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Glyn
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
TheSpiceOfLife wrote:
bop517 wrote:

I have near 1300.

No way!!! 1300 Games????

You would have to play at least 3.5 games a day to play them each only once in a year.

If you where to play one a day each day it would take you over 3 and a half years to play them all before you would play the same game a second time.

That is like a game ninjaninja

You must be new here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
He who games with the most dice wins.
badge
Up with goats! Down with sheep!
mbmbmbmbmb
1) I like it just as much. I keep it and bring it to the next con or open game night I attend.

2) I will probably hang on to it until I better cement my opinion of it.

3) I will get rid of it. I might give it to one of those players I know who loves it.

4) Same as 3.

5) Same as 3. Unless family likes it, then I will probably keep it.

6) We have a family game shelf, which includes many games I'm meh about, but for my one collection I like them all, or they are on the way out. The exception are some older games I've never played but are small enough to still hold onto.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starla Lester
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
http://www.meetup.com/Las-Cruces-Board-Gamers/
badge
I turned Old & Chaotic Evil Bob to Lawful Good (for a day...)
mb

I'll keep it and solo play it until I can find someone to play it who likes it as much as I do. (Duel of Ages II, our time will come!)

Trade it! Shelf space is too precious.

I have a large number of games to share with my meetup group, so they have a lot of options, and they can bring their own games whenever they like. I would give it away/get rid of my copy. #LifeIsTooShort #NeedShelfSpaceForGreatGames

See #3 above. I either really like a game...or I don't.

Keep it for my friends...but I'll sometimes play something else at another table with other friends when it comes out.

Right now, that probably falls around 3% Games I love that others don't, 57% games I love (and that my game group loves), 20% Games I keep because others love them, and 20% games that are "ok" or "meh" to everyone that I just haven't traded away or dealt with yet.
Oh, and 350-something games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NowOrNever88 wrote:

1. Only if I really really love it.
2. No play, no keep.
3 & 4. If it isn't pleasant, someone else gets to own it.
5. I play for the camaraderie, so yes.
6. No idea on the first part. About 800.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
If you have a game you love but everyone in your game group(s) consistently hate/dislike it and it can never get to the table, do you like it as much? Do you keep it?

I have plenty of games I can't get to the table, but I figure they might get played at some point, as someone else said, groups change.

Quote:

It's gone. I have run out of room for games I don't really care for.

Quote:
) If you have a game you absolutely hate but everyone in your game groups consistently love/like it a lot and it often gets to the, do you like it as much? Do you keep it?

No. Someone else can give it a home.

Quote:

Still gone.

Quote:

I would probably keep this one.

Quote:
6) What percentage of your games are ones you like, and what percentage is ones you got and kept mainly because friends/families/others liked it?

I like all my games, or plan on liking them if I ever get them played! I have plenty that I haven't played yet but they are in my collection for a reason, so they will stay until I find I don't like them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Check out Clockwork Wars. It's a pretty darn good dudes on a hex map Euro'ish steampunk game. Quick and fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
NowOrNever88 wrote:
Yes. Love is love. I have a few games like that which will probably never get played. So be it. My precious.
NowOrNever88 wrote:
It'll almost certainly go.
NowOrNever88 wrote:
I dump it. Why keep a game I hate?
NowOrNever88 wrote:
Still goes. I don't need those games.
NowOrNever88 wrote:
Yeah, maybe. This applies to some gateway games I keep for beginner players or casual gamers.
NowOrNever88 wrote:
Got about 160 games total, I'd guess that about 15 of them are more for other people than me. I like being the game guy, even if I may only be meh about some of those games. Examples: Splendor, Tsuro, Catan, St. Petersburg, 7 Wonders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.