Subject: Advice for upcoming 1st play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Bohm
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently received this game as a gift and I will be playing it this upcoming Sunday (10/2/16). I've read the rules once, watched a play through, and will read the rules one more time before Sunday. I will do everything I can to be prepared, but it always seems wise to ask the kind folks on BGG for some tips.

Any words of wisdom for teaching/playing my first game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Locutus Zero
United States
flag msg tools
Make it so
badge
Captain Picard
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a game with tons of exceptions and little one-off rules. They all make sense in context, but are hard to remember. I'd say set up the board and play some, get used to how half the book is devoted to explaining the first round and then they tack on rules after that big chunk that are needed later.

Don't forget to explain the rule about sending unbought pets to live on a farm, and adding one meat cube to the board for no reason. That always gets a chuckle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Play your first game as a learning game. Maybe even just play until the end of round 3 initially. Help each other out with working out the puzzle of how to look after your pets.
Go into the game with the mindset of playing it to learn it rather than play it to win.
The platform rules are always the trickiest to understand, and a lot of people get them wrong at first.
Hope that helps a bit.
(I'm the guy at CGE who demos this game at conventions)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Chambers
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Bohmoplata wrote:
Recently received this game as a gift and I will be playing it this upcoming Sunday (10/2/16). I've read the rules once, watched a play through, and will read the rules one more time before Sunday. I will do everything I can to be prepared, but it always seems wise to ask the kind folks on BGG for some tips.

Any words of wisdom for teaching/playing my first game?

Presuming you are playing with a group that has played games before:

I always teach the board itself first. It's the most universal feature of the game, since it's standard worker placement stuff.

Then I teach how workers are placed: via the sort of blind betting behind screens.

Then I teach how taking care of petz works.

For your first game, maybe leave all the dungeon lords and contests (? can't remember the name) visible. Though maybe this would make for 'more info' instead of less.

Read and re-read those platform rules. Like Paul said, it's the number one thing people mess up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Canada
Niagara Region & Buffalo
Onatrio & New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some good advice here, but the best thing I can suggest now that you read the rules and watched a play-through is to play a game or two at boiteajeux.net

Very helpful!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bohm
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the input thus far!

And Paul, some of my favorite games are from CGE (Galaxy Trucker, Alchemists, Space Alert), so there is no need for clarification as to who you are! Thanks for you involvement on the BGG boards and your great work in promoting these fantastic games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
bubblepipemedia wrote:
I always teach the board itself first [...] Then I teach how workers are placed: via the sort of blind betting behind screens [...]
Then I teach how taking care of petz works.

I have had great success teaching Petz to multiple groups of noobs. I keep the instruction extremely thematic. I focus first on high-level what the goal is, which is making pet behavior match exhibitions and customers. I then use that as a segue to taking care of petz, stressing both the need to keep them around and to match the objectives. I leave the board and betting details for last.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also emphasize that petz get significantly harder to care for as they age, and have more that 2 can compound that difficulty.

Many new players overextend their resource by have lots of old petz.

I've also found that this game really limits resources (food, cages, petz, etc), more so than many other WP games. In this game, if you really need food and you don't get it, there is no second best option to deal with food issues. You don't get food, you don't have food (not counting on any magic items that may help a bit).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Dorward
Canada
flag msg tools
Hm actually I find having too few petz is more of a problem than too many. The more needs cards you get the easier it is to distribute them optimally.

My main other note is that the "flip a card around to get 2 needs" option actually makes play significantly easier than the introductory game, and I would add that in ASAP. Actually I usually just include it in the first game I teach, since while it is an extra rule to explain it makes actual gameplay easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bohm
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank ya'll!

1st play through was great! 3 player game took about 3.5 hours. This included set up, rules explanation, SNF in the background, and one AP prone player. Given all that, I think we did ok in regards to time.

After setting up the board, I explained how pets are cared for. I then explained how how caring for the pet needs relates to exhibitions and selling pets. Once this clear to the other players, we went over the phases of the game and the action spaces. The final major thing we covered was the grouping of imps before sending them out to complete their errands.

This approach seemed to work rather well and I will continue to teach the game in this style. It was similar to how I teach Alchemists. Explain the alchemy and how it works. Once that part is clear, everything is rather simple to explain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.