Hide
4 Posts

Sequence» Forums » Variants

Subject: Sequence Variant - Improves Strategy & Speed rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Z L
msg tools
I hate to agree with the reviews about regular Sequence, but they're true that it is a fairly boring game of luck with the standard rules. However, two simple rule changes fix this and make it very much a game of strategy and skill.

Rule Variant #1: Heart of the Board
Because the most valuable pieces on the board are the ones that can make a complete line in any direction, the four hearts (2,3,4 & 5) in the center are the best cards in the game. Better than Jacks. If you control these four pieces at any time the game is over and you win. This rule takes the strategy level up a notch, and allows for players to make stunning comebacks and control their opponents. If you can outsmart your opponent to Heart of the Board them, it's a time to celebrate and make them feel great shame. It's the perfect rule (with the perfect name).

Rule Variant #2: Two Free Non-Removable Wild Cards per Player(1v1)
Each player in a one-on-one game automatically has two non-removable wild cards each game. These "chugs" - back in school you'd have to chug a beer for one, but no more as we're older - are denoted by double stacking chips and they cannot be removed. This gives each player the ammunition to complete their runs without having to pray for a Jack or that specific card to come up out of the deck. These wild cards are just like two-eyed jacks, except you can't remove them and you don't play a card or get to draw a card for that round. Simply say, "I'm using my chug," then place two pieces on top of that part of the board and you're done. ***If you're playing 2v2, then each player only gets one "chug"***

These two rules have kept me and my very competitive group of friends and family playing the game for years. It maintains a level of luck to the game, while making it so you've generally got the tools to win every hand. I recommend playing 7-game series, as this further removes luck from the equation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmb
Interesting!

I haven't played in a long time but I have some friends who love this game might find this interesting, as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Z L
msg tools
Very cool, thanks for passing along. I thought this forum would be dead given the lack of activity, but I felt it was my obligation for a game that we love dearly. You should give it another chance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm def. going to try this!

I have also wondered about 'improving' the game. (it's just 'ok' as it is for a light game)

I was wondering about some type of card drafting scheme or 'pushing' cards to your partner and opponents like in Tichu.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.