Support:

Xander Fulton
United States
Lake Oswego
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So in another thread, we discussed what a terrible idea it was that Congress passed legislation allowing foreign governments to be sued, breathed briefly a sigh of relief when Obama (wisely) vetoed it, but then got bummed again when Congress overrode the veto to pass it. Stupidly.

Turns out, Congress is just starting to realize that maybe this bill THEY WROTE wasn't such a great idea.

And naturally, that's Obama's fault.

Today's GOP, ladies and gents!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
So in another thread, we discussed what a terrible idea it was that Congress passed legislation allowing foreign governments to be sued, breathed briefly a sigh of relief when Obama (wisely) vetoed it, but then got bummed again when Congress overrode the veto to pass it. Stupidly.

Turns out, Congress is just starting to realize that maybe this bill THEY WROTE wasn't such a great idea.

And naturally, that's Obama's fault.

Today's GOP, ladies and gents!

And we have a new play in the political playbook. The Democrats should use this for the ACA. I can see it now, "The GOP didn't tell us loudly that we wouldn't be able to keep our doctors. This is all their fault!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Happy Holidays! ABCDEFGHIJK MNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
In more news, Our Beloved Congress is surprised that water is wet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BJ
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
You are full of poisonous refuse and insane foolishness.
badge
I had not supposed or expected your arrogant spirit to seek such a ridiculous and childish reason for lying; you should have better reasons.
mbmbmbmbmb
Good job, Congress. The first bill of Obama's entire administration that they override his veto turns out to be a really stupid one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A round of applause for our elected officials.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do they realize they admitted to voting for bills they don't understand?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
What was the urgency to get this thing pushed through so fast? Perhaps they should have taken a second, slower look after the veto, rather than ram it through. Idiots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Lake Oswego
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Donald wrote:
Do they realize they admitted to voting for bills they don't understand?

Nevermind 'voting for' - they wrote the stupid thing. The Senate and House Judiciary committees were involved in creation of the bill, it had 25 Senators as co-sponsors of the bill, etc.

It's not like something Obama's administration tried to sneak into Congress and they accidentally voted on without realizing it or something - Congress wrote it, Congress voted it into law, it went to the White House where Obama *vetoed* it - citing that the bill...

Quote:
...does not contribute to these goals, does not enhance the safety of Americans from terrorist attacks, and undermines core U.S. interests. For these reasons, I must veto the bill

...and then Congress *overrode that veto*.

Only afterwards realizing that the bill doesn't actually contribute to its stated goals, does not enhance the safety of Americans from terrorist attacks, and undermines core US interests.

But then blames Obama for not...?actually I've got no idea?. Not MAKING them understand his veto reasons? I don't even...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The WSJ editorial page also blamed Obama for not stopping this bill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oldies but Goodies ... Avalon Hill and
msg tools
mbmbmb
Well, of course it's Obama's fault. It's always Obama's fault. He should've cancelled his whirlwind tour of golf courses, crawled up Capitol Hill on his hands and knees, and begged Congress not to override his veto. Then it still would've been his fault for interfering with congressional prerogatives and ignoring separation of powers.

Republicans probably stare at the setting sun and silently blame Obama for the coming darkness. Somehow, that must also be his fault.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to blame anyone, blame the founding fathers for not including a 'Double Dog Veto' power for the president.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baird
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
jmilum wrote:
What was the urgency to get this thing pushed through so fast?

To look good in front of voters is the only reason I can think of.

Even before it ended up on Obama's desk, it was clear it set precedents that the US public (never mind the government) wouldn't like in the long term. It's fucking dumb policy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Dangerous
mb
If it wasnt an election, I doubt it would have passed.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
it had 25 Senators (IE., exactly half the Senate)

Exactly half?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Lake Oswego
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ejmowrer wrote:
XanderF wrote:
it had 25 Senators (IE., exactly half the Senate)

Exactly half?

Wow, took someone long enough to catch that.

Ummm...

Obama's fault.

whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Surely this has to be a joke.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:

"No, Steve, it's not a joke"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AdrianPHague wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

"No, Steve, it's not a joke"
Then I really do pity the USA, I thought out mob were useless.

I find it utterly beyond comprehension that people could vote for people so useless as to write and vote for a bill that they are told is broken, vote for it and then try to shift the blame for their fuck up.

But then "but Obama" had been the excuse for so long for everything that is (and goes) wrong that it really is all they have left.

The GOP has lost the ability to think for itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Me nah play no 'ide and seek
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, I wish there were even a single Republican in this forum so that I could point at them and laugh at what a fucking joke their party has become.

I guess I'll just have to settle for laughing at all the Not-Republicans In Name Only.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
The last time I said there were no Republicans in RSP, a couple spoke up. This was a while back though. Let's try again:

There are no active Republican posters in RSP, or at least none that will admit it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
The last time I said there were no Republicans in RSP, a couple spoke up. This was a while back though. Let's try again:

There are no active Republican posters in RSP, or at least none that will admit it.

No, there are. It's just a little too early for me.

Stupid law, yes. Stupider that now the GOP leadership wants to somehow find a way to blame Obama because "OBAMA!", which is kind of stupid and warn out, really.

Short of vetoing the damn thing (which he did) what else can be expected of him?

Without a doubt, the GOP operatives running the show are THE DUMBEST PEOPLE in the country.

No, wait, I take that back. The ENTIRE SENATE are THE DUMBEST PEOPLE in the country (other than Reid, who voted for it, then against it, then for it, or whatever, something stupid like that, but he doesn't care because he is retiring so "f*&k the victims" or something like that).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:

There are a lot who claim they aren't Republicans but always follow along like sheep behind whatever the party line of the day is on all the conservative blogs / news sites. That makes them Republicans in my book.

Honestly I'm completely amazed they aren't already involved in this thread jumping on the 'blame it on Obama' train. Apparently it is possible for the Republicans in Congress to do something so ridiculous that even their most hard core defenders here on RSP won't support it. Has to be a first time for everything I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisnd wrote:
other than Reid, who voted for it, then against it, then for it, or whatever, something stupid like that

It first passed the Senate by a voice vote, which means no one is on record for actually voting for it, but no one objected to using a voice vote either.

The first time votes were actually tallied was the veto override.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisnd wrote:
jmilum wrote:

Stupid law, yes. Stupider that now the GOP leadership wants to somehow find a way to blame Obama because "OBAMA!", which is kind of stupid and warn out, really.

Short of vetoing the damn thing (which he did) what else can be expected of him?

Without a doubt, the GOP operatives running the show are THE DUMBEST PEOPLE in the country.

No, wait, I take that back. The ENTIRE SENATE are THE DUMBEST PEOPLE in the country (other than Reid, who voted for it, then against it, then for it, or whatever, something stupid like that, but he doesn't care because he is retiring so "f*&k the victims" or something like that).

The Democrats are just as much to blame here. They aren't in control, but they were needed to override the veto.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
chrisnd wrote:
jmilum wrote:

The Democrats are just as much to blame here. They aren't in control, but they were needed to override the veto.

That was my point in claiming that the ENTIRE SENATE is full of dumb people (other than Reid). Wow - I just said Reid wasn't dumb...huh, who would have thought?

Anyway, back to my outrage!

The entire SENATE is responsible for this piece of shit, and the House is complicit as well. In 8 years, Obama got ONE THING right, and the idiotic GOP (with the help of complicit Democrats) went and f*&ked it all up nice and good!

Well, Obama got two things right, because technically Gitmo is still open, but some of the previous prisoners are back on the battlefield killing people, so he semi-screwed the pooch on that one.

But my outrage is at the SENATE right now - sorry for the derail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.