BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Looking for 6+ player games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
Hi

I am looking for some games that go well with 6+ player count and is accessible to most people.

I have already been looking at the following games:

Shadows over Camelot
Mysterium
Murder and deception: Hong Kong

I already own Werewolf, sheriff (though not 6+) and 7 Wonders.

I would really appreciate some suggestions, can be everything from a really short game to longer games, as long as they they are fairly easy accessible by most people. What I mean by that is simply that I am not looking for any extreme 6-hour strategy games.

Especially if you know any good deduction games, though there doesn't seem to be a ton of those.

Thanks in advance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan St. John
Canada
Cornwall
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For a shorter game, my group really enjoys For Sale.

For longer games we often table Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game.

Captain Sonar is getting lots of buzz lately for a larger count team game but I haven't had a chance to play that one yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sushi Go Party! perhaps?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bishop
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lot of suggestions for you. Many of which are hidden role/deduction games. All are in the time frame of less than 90 minutes (at least when I play them) Enjoy!

BANG! The Dice Game - First game that came to mind. It goes to 8 and moves pretty fast for a deduction hidden role game. There is an expansion for it that will be available soon.

Libertalia - Goes to 6, may be a bit random at that number. Semi-deduction because every player will have the same hand of cards but when they use them will be what people are trying to figure out.

Shadow Hunters - Another deduction/hidden role game and goes to 8, This one is team based and has special cards (besides weapons and such) that helps figure out who is who.

Dixit Odyssey - This version of Dixit goes to 12 (I think), and is a party game like apples to apples where you want at least 1 person to choose your card but not everyone.

The Resistance and/or The Resistance: Avalon - Both go to 10. Think werewolf but with no elimination. I prefer the Avalon version because I find it more accessible than sci-fi dystopias to explain.

Mascarade - Goes to 13 (!). A hidden role game of a type because no one knows who they are and the roles are always switching. There is an expansion out for it but try the basic game first as some people like this game and others hate it (usually those who try to deduce everything and can't)

Two Rooms and a Boom - Goes to the same huge number as werewolf. This game is between printings but is also a free print-and-play. This is werewolf but you can show your card, and is more on the team-building side of things.

Spyfall - Goes to 8. This is a reverse deduction/hidden role game and it's all against one. The one knows nothing and is trying to figure out where they are while the others are trying to find them. This is group dependent as its all based on questions asked by people.

Samurai Spirit - Goes to 7. This is like cooperative black-jack and everyone works together.

Codenames and/or Codenames: Pictures - any number really. This is the current hotness and 1 person gives clues (limited to one word) to the their team to find what matches on a grid of words or pictures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
+1 For Sale - It's the best filler game in the history of filler games.

Captain Sonar is a really fun game...if you have the right group for it. The problem is that the stars sort of have to align. It's ideal with exactly 8 players. It works with 6. But that means you'll have to have one player on each side take on more than one role, which can be really tough.

6+ Player Deduction Games:

The Resistance: Avalon
Dark Moon
Secret Hitler
Blood Bound
Nuns on the Run
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Codenames
Bananagrams
Incan Gold
TransAmerica
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
7 Wonders is a must for this list. Awesome game, plays in the same time with 3 as it does with 7, perfect introduction to card drafting.

Also, Dixit is great at 6 too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deep Sea Adventure
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Incan Gold
Formula D
Citadels
7 Wonders
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feras H
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Survive: Escape from Atlantis! + Survive: Escape from Atlantis! 5-6 Player Mini Expansion
Lords of Waterdeep + Lords of Waterdeep: Scoundrels of Skullport
Scythe + Scythe: Invaders from Afar
Camel Up

Bit smaller games:
Skull
Bohnanza
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascal L
Switzerland
Attalens
FR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Saboteur (compilation editions)
Timeline
SOL (no english version yet)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cosmic Encounter

If you want something a little more 'meaty'.
A game you can possibly win without ever getting a turn. There's hardly any downtime at all, which is rare in a 6p game with such depth. If you're out for a turn, you most likely decided so yourself. (Unless 2 people are trying to make a deal which only takes 1 minute)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nona de Koning
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mysterium is great! Defenitely get that. It's one of my most played games and nearly everyone I introduce it to loves it.

Other games with 6 or more players with deduction and/or hidden roles:
Spyfall (this one is quite easy to print&play yourself)
Hoax (second edition)
Mascarade
Deception: Murder in Hong Kong
Lost Temple
Citadels

These have a tiny bit of deduction, but are more about the social element:
Codenames
Unusual Suspects
Dixit (any kind, Odyssey supports up to 12 but I also know plenty of people who only bought 1 or more expansions and use pen & paper for voting & scoring so they could save money and pick their preferred art/theme)

Other games for 6 players (some support more) that I think are fun and very accessible:
Colt Express
Incan Gold
Alhambra
Robo Rally
6 nimmt!
Camel Up
Lemming Mafia
Robin
King of Tokyo

I think Shadows Over Camelot is quite a bit longer and possibly heavier than what you're looking for. I saw someone mention Dark Moon, which is great, but in my experience not everyone finds it very accessible So that might not fit what you're looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
I really like the concept of Cosmic Encounter, but I have heard that it doesn't quite "click" until you've played it a couple of times, any truth to this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
So probably should have mentioned this, but I already own Dead of Winter (one of my favorite games)

For sale seems really fast, easy and fun + cheap, so thanks for that, I will def pivk that one up

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
But isn't Shadows over Camelot sort of a much simpler version of Dead of Winter?

If so, the it def won't be an issue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Fox
msg tools
If you're looking for fun party style elimination games, I have 2 for ya:

Dead Last A very quick game that plays to 12. Better with larger numbers. In my experience, it plays better with a group of regulars as nobody wants to start pointing fingers at people they have never met.

Ca$h 'n Guns (Second Edition) I have the original (plays 6) but I believe the new edition plays 8. Another game you point a finger (or a foam gun in this case) to eliminate people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Hellertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
7 Wonders is a must for this list. Awesome game, plays in the same time with 3 as it does with 7, perfect introduction to card drafting.

Also, Dixit is great at 6 too.

+1 for dixit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.