9 Posts

BattleLore (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Card scans and ideas? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kayzer Soze
France
flag msg tools
Hi I recently bought the second edition in french as my 7 year old speaks very little english. I am also planning to have gaming sessions with other people who speak english but no french.

I did not open the box yet so I do not know how much reading the game requires but after a short session on a french version of M44, which should be lighter than BL2,I felt that it would be wise to have the scans in english version on my tablet as a quick reference for non french speaking players.

Could anybody help me with the scans of cards in english that come with the core set?

Alternatively I can buy a second set in english but I am feeling that I would rather spend my money on expansions. And, other than the cards in english, I really have no idea how I could put the second set to good use.

I am also wondering if getting the english versions of the expansions is a good idea?

So any ideas, recommendations or just card scans will be highly appreciated.

Thanks
Kayzer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I feel there are too many cards for you to effectively do what you want. Most of the command cards are easy enough but some of them rely on text. And too many lore cards (20 for each side). Plus the scenarios, unit abilities.....

Figure out who you're more likely to play with and buy that language.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can actually get a decent amount out of a second set besides just the English cards. Having an extra set doubles the variety of units you can use. For example, there is only 1 Roc Warrior and 1 Chaos Beast in the core set. If you get two copies, you can use two of those legendary units in your armies. Unlike games like X-Wing, where each unit is represented by its own card, BattleLore just has a single unit card with the stats and abilities and all units of that type use that one card. So whether you're playing in French or English, you'll have all the cards you need and a greater variety for army-building.

In the core, you get the following units for each side:
5x melee infantry
5x archers
3x cavalry
2x elites
1x legend

You can see how you can get a lot more variety with Elites, Legends, and even Cavalry with a second set. Under normal circumstances, I'd recommend expansions instead of a second core set, but given your particular circumstance, the second set doesn't look so bad.

Like Moe said, there are a lot of cards with important text.
40 Lore cards
14 Scenario cards
10 unit cards

If you really don't want to buy a second set, though, you could probably find translations of scenarios and unit cards easily enough. The only thing you'd have difficulty finding is all the lore cards, so maybe you could play without the lore cards in English? Definitely far from ideal because those supply the twists of fate that make this game interesting, and without them you have a whole die face that basically becomes unusable.

EDIT: I found the units and scenarios posted here on BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giulio
Italy
Scandiano
RE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The BattleLore 2nd edition VASSAL module contains the image of all command and lore cards of the base game and the first two expansions (no undead though).

The module is available in the following page:

http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:BattleLore_(Second_Edition
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kayzer Soze
France
flag msg tools
Thank you all for the replies, they are most helpful.

Until the time he picks up english I will probably contend with french set and use the available scanned cards.

It is strange that everythings available online for Memoir 44 but not for Battlelore.

I will certainly check the vassal mode which looks very interesting. That is another area M44 seems to be ahead of Battlelore2nd ed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Lind
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can copy/scan the back of one lore card for each faction, print the correct number of copys, write a translated text on the front, and then sleeve the cards. With thicker paper it could work fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kayzer Soze
France
flag msg tools
Yes that is a great idea. And it gave me inspiration for yet another one.

May be I can just print the front side of the cards on thin paper and slide them in the sleeve with the original when necessary. This still requires me getting the scans for all cards though. Vasal module should have them all but I am not sure if they can be exported.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giulio
Italy
Scandiano
RE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The vassal module is just a compressed file. Inside you find a folder named "images". No need to say what it contains. But don't tell it to anybody!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kayzer Soze
France
flag msg tools
Great thanks a lot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.