Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Colin Taylor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Adam,

Sorry to keep pinging you with questions, but I was rereading bullet 2 of Radicalization. It says:

The Awakening wrote:
..., Travel to as many Unmarked non-Muslim countries as possible (one Cell each), choosing the origin first using the Travel From priorities of the OpP...

I'm a little confused by the use of "first" here. Do you mean we select the From country before the To country? Firstly, this is opposite the normal order, and secondly, doesn't seem possible (first priority is adjacency, which we won't know until the To country is known). Or do you mean we select the From country first using the OpP, then the Priorities table if still tied?

It's probably obvious, but I've read it enough times now, that I can't seem to tell what it means.

Thanks,

Colin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Morse
msg tools
ColintheFlea wrote:
Hi Adam,

Sorry to keep pinging you with questions, but I was rereading bullet 2 of Radicalization. It says:

The Awakening wrote:
..., Travel to as many Unmarked non-Muslim countries as possible (one Cell each), choosing the origin first using the Travel From priorities of the OpP...

I'm a little confused by the use of "first" here. Do you mean we select the From country before the To country? Firstly, this is opposite the normal order, and secondly, doesn't seem possible (first priority is adjacency, which we won't know until the To country is known). Or do you mean we select the From country first using the OpP, then the Priorities table if still tied?

It's probably obvious, but I've read it enough times now, that I can't seem to tell what it means.

Thanks,

Colin

I took that to mean choose which non-muslim country based on adjacency primarily. For example, if you have a cell in the Philippines, they're going to Thailand (if not tested). There's no point (from the jihadist perspective) of choosing Canada first and then trying to send that cell in the Philippines there.

What I'm curious about is if cells would leave the US to travel to an adjacent non-posture country.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E V
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mind you, I still have not received the expansion (cry), so my understanding is limited and I could be awfully wrong, but "using the Travel From priorities" makes me think of a Priority Table... because there is a Priority Table for the travel origins, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Taylor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
evacbs wrote:
Mind you, I still have not received the expansion (cry), so my understanding is limited and I could be awfully wrong, but "using the Travel From priorities" makes me think of a Priority Table... because there is a Priority Table for the travel origins, right?

OpP is the Operations Priority flowcharts, which are generally used before the Priorities Table. Situations where the Priorities Table is used directly are usually explicitly clarified.

Thanks,

Colin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Taylor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Triple9 wrote:

I took that to mean choose which non-muslim country based on adjacency primarily. For example, if you have a cell in the Philippines, they're going to Thailand (if not tested). There's no point (from the jihadist perspective) of choosing Canada first and then trying to send that cell in the Philippines there.

What I'm curious about is if cells would leave the US to travel to an adjacent non-posture country.

I think you are probably right, but I was hoping Adam could confirm. If it is, it's awfully obtuse, as there is no precedent for using the Travel From to determine the Travel To as well. If that was the intention, it should be made quite a lot clearer, IMO.

Thanks,

Colin

Edit - If you are correct, then if there is a Cell in the US, and Canada/UK are unmarked, then I don't see why it wouldn't Travel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Hi everyone,

Here's how you should proceed for Rad Travel:

1) You already know the general target country: Unmarked non-Muslim(s)

2) Knowing that, begin by reviewing all Cells on the map, identifying those that are adjacent to Unmarked countries (OpP Travel From first box)

3a) If there are more candidate Cells than Ops + Reserves being used, use the Travel From Priorities Table to select among them.

3b) If the number of Cells adjacent to unmarked non-Muslims is equal to the Ops + Reserves being used, now use Travel To priorities to select among the adjacent target candidates.

3c) If the number of Cells adjacent to unmarked non-Muslims is less than the Ops + Reserves being used, Travel any adjacent, then return to the OpP Travel From flowchart and continue.

The reasons for this reverse:

1) While the goal here is to worsen GWOT relations, it is also advantageous for the Travel to succeed. If the Bot were to select the target first, the chances of success would be lower.

2) Introduces extra randomness. If the Bot were to select the targets first, its behavior would be more predictable (it would just be following the Travel To Priorities Table each time).

Hope that helps!

Adam

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E V
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColintheFlea wrote:
OpP is the Operations Priority flowcharts

Oops! Ok, thanks I guess it's better if I retreat in my cave and patiently wait for the postman

ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Taylor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Adam,

This makes sense now, but by a strict reading of the rules, it can't happen, and therefore is an exception. As you have not yet selected the Travel To country, you can't select Adjacent Travel From countries. I get why you did it this way, but seeing as it's so different from the standard selection method, it probably warranted more explanation. Selecting the Travel To based on a Travel From decision is a little odd.

Perhaps a simple addition of something like "choosing the origin first using the Travel From priorities of the OpP, which may lead to the identification of Travel To candidates through Adjacency" would help.

Thanks,

Colin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Taylor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BTW, this then does allow for a Cell in the US to Travel to the UK/Canada if either are unmarked, right?

Thanks,

Colin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Hi Colin,

First off, I should have done a much better explanation of this peculiarity. Something that got lost in the shuffle, I'm afraid.

And yes, the Bot will Travel out of the US to an adjacent unmarked country, but based on the Travel From Priorities Table, US will be the last prioritized origin among all candidates.

Adam

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Taylor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, no worries. It happens. And I think we all know how to work it now.

Unfortunately for me, it doesn't help me get out of the quagmire I created for myself in my first game of Labyrinth. Turns out it's not a good idea to Regime Change Afghanistan, but with so few Troops that the bot just flips it back with Major Jihad next turn. Prestige to 1 is killing me. Lesson learned!

Colin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Morse
msg tools
ColintheFlea wrote:
Hey, no worries. It happens. And I think we all know how to work it now.

Unfortunately for me, it doesn't help me get out of the quagmire I created for myself in my first game of Labyrinth. Turns out it's not a good idea to Regime Change Afghanistan, but with so few Troops that the bot just flips it back with Major Jihad next turn. Prestige to 1 is killing me. Lesson learned!

Colin

How could they would have done that so quickly? With at least 6 troops in for the Regime change, the jihadi's would have needed at least 11 cells for major jihad.

The attached picture (luckiest dice rolls I've ever had; unluckiest for the bot) took an entire deck to develop and thankfully the jihadis had no reserves for that third die.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Taylor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just playing to learn the rules, rather than trying to concentrate on the strategy too much, so I invoked Regime Change by moving in 6 Troops. But the Jihadists already had the required excess to tilt it back. A prior Event had also placed a Besieged marker there whilst in IR, so it was easy for it to flip back.

Couple of turns later, I flipped it again by withdrawing to the Troops Track, and back in.

Colin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.