Hide
3 Posts

Slaughterball» Forums » Rules

Subject: Lasting Injuries rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chet Swan
msg tools
What is the experience of those who have already played leagues with lasting injuries and what please is the designer rationale for the current method? I hope to establish League play in my area. Using the Lasting Injuries Optional Rules is an important consideration for gameplay, power rankings as well as alignment with some of the fluff text. However, the rules as written seem especially punishing, even more so to low toughness types. My concerns are that the negative potential of lasting injuries will make player development of more vulnerable athlete types untenable thus pitting (for example) ever more skilled Butchers against less skilled other types while at the same time (and perhaps more importantly) impacting the play of the game; a coach (with physician) may sacrifice more cards to heal injuries that would otherwise be available for pit antics, and injuries inflicted later in a game may possibly not be able to be healed at all and will be more likely to inflict lasting injuries. I wonder whether a simple under/over approach would be more balanced (i.e. the same procedure would be used for injuries under an athlete's toughness (one die)but if the injury tokens exceeded the athlete's toughness two total dice would be rolled (one die more for over toughness). Injuries still impact the game and may still do so in cruel late game ways but the scales of winning, injury and athlete type representation seem better balanced.

Loving the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Kjerland
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
Hi, Chet,

I accidentally put in early rules for lasting injuries. Someone caught it a while ago, and I uploaded errata on the lasting injuries. You can find the errata here:

http://www.slaughterball.net/downloads/

Here's the gist:

Exhibition and League Rulebook

Page 40: Replace the following paragraph:

After a game, each athlete with Injury tokens must roll one die plus one die for each Injury token in excess of his Toughness. For example, a razor with Toughness 3 who has five Injury tokens rolls three dice. Effects are cumulative.

With the following:

After a game, each athlete with Injury tokens in excess of his Toughness must roll one die and suffer the injury on the Lasting Injury table.

For a much more brutal league season, the athlete must roll one die for EACH Injury token in excess of his Toughness. For example, a razor with Toughness 2 who has five injury tokens rolls three dice. Effects are cumulative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chet Swan
msg tools
Marvellous! Glad this has been refined. Bring on those Wave 2 teams.

ErikFrog wrote:
Hi, Chet,

I accidentally put in early rules for lasting injuries. Someone caught it a while ago, and I uploaded errata on the lasting injuries. You can find the errata here:

http://www.slaughterball.net/downloads/

Here's the gist:

Exhibition and League Rulebook

Page 40: Replace the following paragraph:

After a game, each athlete with Injury tokens must roll one die plus one die for each Injury token in excess of his Toughness. For example, a razor with Toughness 3 who has five Injury tokens rolls three dice. Effects are cumulative.

With the following:

After a game, each athlete with Injury tokens in excess of his Toughness must roll one die and suffer the injury on the Lasting Injury table.

For a much more brutal league season, the athlete must roll one die for EACH Injury token in excess of his Toughness. For example, a razor with Toughness 2 who has five injury tokens rolls three dice. Effects are cumulative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.