12 Posts

Firefly: The Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Grand Betrayal rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
fuzguz john
msg tools
My first attempt at a storycard.
There are probably typos. And the story is cheesy.
But it was a fun playthrough. Around 3 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmb
Very nice. I like that so many people are putting out custom Stories. It's a testament to what a great sandbox this is.

There are probably a few spots where the terminology can be tweaked to be more consistent with the established forms, but I'm not going to pretend to be familiar enough with them to point them out. I'll leave that to someone else.

After Goal 2, when the first mate leaves, you have them discarding their equipment. Do you mean they leave it on the ship, or discard discard to the discard piles?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles-David
Canada
Mascouche
Quebec
flag msg tools
“Happiness is nothing unless it exists side by side with sadness. Two sides. One coin” - 7th Doctor
mbmbmbmbmb
Got scared for a second when I got to Goal 2 but I like the idea.

Nice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a little concerned about the Hacking Rig requirement - there are only nine of them in the fully-expanded game (Sash, Fess, 3×Security Interface Pad, 2×Improvised Hacking Rig, Kaylee's Reprogrammer, Early's Datascope). Compare 25 Firearms and 17 Transports.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cohn
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right, unless there is a Hacking Rig in every supply planet at the start of the game, this will require camping at planets.

Worse, Player A gets one right away, Players B, C, etc. sit and wait. This situation (which I've seen at least once) might even require Players B and C (etc.) to attack Player A (if using P&BH) just to try to get the Hacking Rig (taking for granted one allows 'stealing of gear' to be a thing).

Almost makes sense to say "requires two of these three" or something like that for balance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carey Klenetsky
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Building upon the "requires two of these three," how about:

Requires TRANSPORT, HACKING RIG, or FIREARM
+1 for each subsequent skill test for each additional one

Or, to be more thematic with the goal:

Requires TRANSPORT
+1 to tech roll if you have a HACKING RIG
+1 to fight roll if you have a FIREARM

My thoughts are that you benefit from having the items, but there's always some way around it in the 'verse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cklenetsky wrote:
Requires TRANSPORT, HACKING RIG, or FIREARM
+1 for each subsequent skill test for each additional one
I think this is the best bet. You might play Sash starting on Silverhold, and end up with Hacking Rig and Firearm but no Transport.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Firedrake wrote:
Compare 25 Firearms and 17 Transports.

I only count 15 Transports, am I missing something?
[4 4WD-Mule, 1 BHBAS Jeep, 4 Fast Horses, 1 Flying Mule, 4 Mud Dog ATV, 1 Official-looking Vehicle, 2 SkyHook, 1 Marco]

and I'm only seeing 24 Firearms, but I don't feel like listing out all of them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JayJ79 wrote:
Firedrake wrote:
Compare 25 Firearms and 17 Transports.

I only count 15 Transports, am I missing something?
[4 4WD-Mule, 1 BHBAS Jeep, 4 Fast Horses, 1 Flying Mule, 4 Mud Dog ATV, 1 Official-looking Vehicle, 2 SkyHook, 1 Marco]

and I'm only seeing 24 Firearms, but I don't feel like listing out all of them
I think your numbers are probably right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Duffy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Possible problem for Goal 3: if another ship has taken your first mate on as crew but then has a crew killed and chooses your first mate

Possible solution:

Your fist mate is actually a second Leader card and thus cannot be killed. Assign each Leader a home planet (or have player to your left decide which supply planet he gets discarded to?). Discarded first mates cost £500 to hire maybe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think there are a lot of interesting elements in this story, but I'm not sure how some of the story and mechanical parts mesh.

What does the prohibition on jobs for Niska and Patience represent? Are THEY captured by the Alliance? Are they simply laying low?

I assume the first Goal is a jail break of some kind. If you're ACTUALLY springing Niska and Patience, that's a bit problematic because every player had to progress through the Goal. If you're rescuing generic bad folks, why does it impact Niska and Patience, but not, say, Badger, Amnon Duul, Lord Harrow, and Mingo & Fanty?

As other folks have noted, the amount of Gear required for the Goal is potentially problematic. It's going to be VERY hard for multiple players to track all this stuff down.

On Goal 2, even reducing per contact, this is just a ridiculous amount of Misbehaves. Not accounting for Mister Universe, there's currently no job or Goal that requires more than 4 Misbehaves (and 4 is pretty rare). Based on my analysis in another recent thread, it seems that, during a normal game, you can expect to work 3-5 jobs, but to get down to 4 Misbehaves, you'd need to work at least 6 jobs.

As a side note, the cards that let you automatically become Solid with Harken are basically a get out of deal free card.

While I like the First Mate's betrayal, there are both mechanical and story elements that don't make sense to me. Other folks have noted the issues with the Crew leaving (similar to, but more problematic than, Jail Break), so I want to note something about the story. While it makes sense to me that in Harken's Folly or King of All Londinium, multiple crews might be chasing the same big score, it seems odd to me that multiple leaders would get cocky and then betrayed by their first mates at the same time. Other folks may disagree, but, to me, it strains credibility a bit.

Although it's an pretty extreme departure from your original idea, what if the whole thing is about the Alliance sowing discord in the criminal world? I could see something that works like this:

Set-up - You may not complete Illegal Jobs until you complete Goal 1. Whenever you complete an Illegal Job, you gain a Warrant.

Goal 1 - Prove yourself in the criminal world. Something similar to Goal 1 in the original card. Once successful, you may now work Illegal Jobs.

Goal 2 - Complete X Illegal Jobs. Whenever you complete an Illegal Job, your Crew may turn on you. Roll a dice for each Crew. On a 1, they turn on you. SHOWDOWN vs all Crew who turned on you, including their Gear.

Goal 3 - Betrayed by your First Mate! He's an Alliance agent! Not sure what the trigger is, but rules are same as in Goal 2... except your first made automatically switches sides and they get a bonus to the roll from Alliance support, Maybe move one of the Alliance ships to your location if you fail? (In addition to a crew dying?)

Heck, maybe I'll work on that myself!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, perhaps one might consider Goal 1 as a one-off affair - no N/P jobs until it's done, but once one player has done it nobody else has to? (They'd get some benefit from having been the one to do it, of course.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.