Subject: Unoccupied farm rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Klaus Kristiansen
Denmark
Kongens Lyngby
flag msg tools
mb
In the new Wayfare ability, is "unoccupied" meant to be taken literally, or does it mean not occupied by anyone else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
Klaus O K wrote:
In the new Wayfare ability, is "unoccupied" meant to be taken literally, or does it mean not occupied by anyone else?

I think literally: no unit on that farm (not even yours).
I have a doubt about whether a lone structure occupies the territory or not.

But, if I remember well, today the rulebook will be made public so maybe we will know that answer for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nándor Gáspár
Hungary
Budapest
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Painkeeper wrote:

The rules states that a player owns a hex if (s)he has a structure on it. (and there is nothing else presented on that territory)

I would say it counts as occupied.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
Ydnad wrote:
Painkeeper wrote:

The rules states that a player owns a hex if (s)he has a structure on it. (and there is nothing else presented on that territory)

I would say it counts as occupied.

The rules say that if you have a lone structure you control the territory.
The alternative Wayfarer ability says that you can move to an unoccupied farm (not an "uncontrolled one"). Source.

I think Jamey would have used a consistent term to represent the same concept; thus I suspect he chose another because it intended a different kind of presence on a territory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This ability seems like it will be crazy weak in a 5-7 player game, more so 6-7 where there are units everywhere!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustav Weberup
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rnickster86 wrote:
This ability seems like it will be crazy weak in a 5-7 player game, more so 6-7 where there are units everywhere!

With 6 it's not that bad, there is likely to be at least one farm that is either in the non playing faction's starting area or at least an isolated area (only if the non playing faction is Saxony it is looking pretty bad, but then Crimea is looking good for other reasons). Unlike the original Wayfare in doesn't need Speed/Factory card to be good.

With 7 players I agree it's pretty crappy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Webbe wrote:
rnickster86 wrote:

With 6 it's not that bad, there is likely to be at least one farm that is either in the non playing faction's starting area or at least an isolated area (only if the non playing faction is Saxony it is looking pretty bad, but then Crimea is looking good for other reasons). Unlike the original Wayfare in doesn't need Speed/Factory card to be good.

With 7 players I agree it's pretty crappy.

Might start to be less useful in the late game, but early on in the game this is crazy powerful! Allows you to jump close to several home bases early in the game which could be devastating to another player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
A territory is "occupied" if it has any player's unit(s) in it: workers, characters, and/or mechs. So you can use this ability to move to any farm only if it's empty or if it has only an opponent's structure on it.

This ability is quite good with any player count, because if opponents aren't careful, you can jump across the board directly into their home area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you jump to a farm if it has only one of your own structures in it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
A territory isn't occupied if it only has a structure on it (yours or an opponent's), so yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Kristiansen
Denmark
Kongens Lyngby
flag msg tools
mb
So to use this ability, you need to get that mech buildt before all the farms fill up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Not necessarily. The "occupied" part looks at units, which are inherently mobile. Farms could be unoccupied at any time during the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
Not necessarily. The "occupied" part looks at units, which are inherently mobile. Farms could be unoccupied at any time during the game.
And, much like with other aspects of this game, the threat of enemy encroachment can significantly impact your strategy. If you're the Crimean player, and you've built that mech, I might keep a worker on a farm that's not well defended rather than move that worker somewhere more productive to my engine, because if I move the worker then I've opened up a hole in my defense that you can capitalize on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flight Doc
msg tools
My family and I have played many times with little to no "aggressive" behavior. This was partly due to etiquette while everyone was learning the game and also to keep bad blood low while we built an interest in the game. Now that we're sold and the game was getting a little stagnant, I've started attacking more and they've followed suit. This has really spiced up the games, changed how we manage power, acquire cards, and place workers to block movement, etc. I see this feature (farm jumping) to be extremely powerful in aggressive games. Looking forward to test this out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.