7 Posts

Pandemic: Reign of Cthulhu» Forums » Rules

Subject: Awakening Ritual question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Harris
msg tools
Hello,

I should be receiving a copy of Reign of Cthulu today to play tonight, so I've yet to try it, but I've been reading up on the rules in advance so we can dive straight in.

One thing from the rule book is confusing me, and that is - when there are three cultists on a space and another summoning card is drawn for that location, instead of placing a fourth cultist there you begin the awakening ritual... That's all fine, but what happens to the three cultists already on that space? Do they remain there, or are they taken off the board?

I think my confusion has arisen from reading one of the Old Ones effects later in the rule book which says 'the removed cultists are no longer available to players. In other words, the effect of this old one reduces the total number of cultists to 23'. As there are 26 cultists and they are reduced to 23, I'm guessing it means to permanently discard the 3 cultists that were removed during the awakening ritual, if that is what indeed happens? Otherwise, what cultists is it referring to, and how is it always 3?

Hoping someone can help clear this up before tonight. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
123 123
Greece
flag msg tools
a) The initial 3 stay on the board.
b) Correct. Simply remove 3 cultists from the reserve.
(the 4th cultist is never really added anywhere, therefore it doesn't affect the reserve)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Olesen
Denmark
flag msg tools
i belive:

a) they stay on the board.
b) you remove 3 from the "reserve", this god have nothing to do with the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kalinda Patton
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
darkabolisher wrote:
a) When going to add a fourth cultist, you simply remove the 3 who are already there (basically empty it) and reveal the next old one.

That is actually false. The cultists stay on the board; you just don't add the fourth one and do an awakening ritual instead.

As stated on page 8 of the rules:

If the location already has 3 cultists in it, do not place a 4th cultist. Instead, an awakening ritual occurs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
123 123
Greece
flag msg tools
You're correct! I explained the first part completely wrong. My bad! I was thinking that they sacrifice the new cultist and instead I wrote the exact opposite..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Harris
msg tools
Thanks everyone. I think the confusion arose because maybe the 'old ones - fine points' section of the rule book just adds information, but doesn't say what is actually written on the card, so I got confused about where the 3 cultists that are removed from that particular old one card come from. That's my guess anyway. I should probably play the game first before asking anymore questions. Haha! Can't wait. Haven't played Pandemic before either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Man! I started playing it today after watching a dice tower review where they said the 3 cultists sacrifice themselves to summon an ancient one which made perfect thematic sense to me, so I returned them to the cultist supply when it happened. I did read the rule book, but I guess that it somehow slipped by me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.