GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 60.5

4,338 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
27.3% of Goal | 29 Days Left

Support:

Nik G
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I've seen Pathfinder before but never really looked into it, but it seems quite good. I'm mainly a solo player so I've watched a few videos and it seems like a good solo player experience. Wanted to hear what people think about it though, is it quite straightforward to put a deck together, or is it one of these "buy two core sets" thingies? Does it take a long time, and is it easy to set up and take down? I've preordered Arkham Horrow: The Card Game as well, is this quite a different experience? Do people generally stick with the other Pathfinder expansions or are they so massively different?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Nopa
United States
Addison
Texas [TX]
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NikToo wrote:
I've seen Pathfinder before but never really looked into it, but it seems quite good. I'm mainly a solo player so I've watched a few videos and it seems like a good solo player experience. Wanted to hear what people think about it though, is it quite straightforward to put a deck together, or is it one of these "buy two core sets" thingies? Does it take a long time, and is it easy to set up and take down? I've preordered Arkham Horrow: The Card Game as well, is this quite a different experience? Do people generally stick with the other Pathfinder expansions or are they so massively different?

It is very straightforward to put character decks together. You can start with the predefined decks or you can deviate and build your own based on basic cards. The way the game works is that you build the location decks that you will explore on the scenario basis equal to the number of characters + 2. Each location contains monsters and barriers as well as cards to "level up" your deck by passing checks required to obtain said cards.

You'll never buy more than a single core for a given path.

Is it easy to setup? For the most part. Does it take a long time to setup? It can, because you need to keep every card type in its own deck and pull according to what the location demands.

Arkham Horror will seem fairly similar at first, but it's hard to say as most of us haven't played it, yet. I assume it will feel very similar, initially, but there will be subtle differences (as the locations in that game will probably not include character deck cards that you acquire like you would in this game).

In general, you buy the core set for a given path, then you buy the 5 adventure path expansions (numbered 2-6), and the character expansion if you want more characters. The same applies to Skull and Shackles, Wrath of the Righteous, and the upcoming Mummy's Mask.

There is an alternate way to play (Organized Play), which revolves around purchasing the Class decks, but those are not needed and give you a slightly different interpretation of the game.

With that in mind, Pathfinder is pretty good for solo. If you like dice and character progression, it'll probably scratch that particular itch.

For LCG's such as Arkham Horror (or Lord of the Rings, which this is constantly compared to), you'll find a different experience, despite some similar sounding themes/ideas. The differences in mechanics and focus are probably enough for you to find them enjoyable for different reasons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It might take about 5-10 minutes to set up. It depends on how many characters you are playing. The more characters the more setup. Taking it down is much quicker.

The game's insert organizes the cards for you, and even has slots to store your character decks between games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nik G
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thank you Andrew and Jason, really appreciate the replies. Think I'll see if my LGS can get it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Whipple
United States
South Dennis
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
Newbie two cents

I started this game about a week ago. It is the first card type game that has grabbed me (tried Lord of The Rings but it did not take hold). Most of what you need to do is driven by the card text so learning curve is not so bad. FAQ both here and on developer web site are pretty good and have kept the game rolling for me.

Bottom Line: For me its a nice balance of RPG, deck building, and strategy. (I play solo but with two characters...tried solo with one character and just kept hitting the wall...two characters made the scenarios/adventures winnable for me but not roll overs.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
You should buy the games because there are excellent community resources that make it better:

Rise of the Runelords Adventure Guide

Skull & Shackles Adventure Guide

Wrath of the Righteous Adventure Guide

PACG Iconic Hero Backstories

PACG Blessing Deck Deities
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You can start with just the base game, as it includes everything you need for the first 8 scenarios. If you enjoy it, you will absolutely want the adventure expansions (boxes 2-6). Just one of each, but as a set they form the complete game. Other expansions like the character add-on and class decks are optional.

Personally, I don't enjoy it solo because a single hero has a really tough time. And although mechanically it's very doable, I don't enjoy playing 2 (or more) characters. If you're OK playing 2 or more heroes, it's probably great solo.

I usually set up the next scenario before putting the game away after we finish a session. It's nice to be able to sit down, open the box, and start playing. I think 5-10 minutes is a good estimate for setup, and teardown would be less than 5. Each session takes us about an hour.

The Adventure Guide (linked above) greatly enhances the experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nik G
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks to all. It really does sound like a good game which seems to adress a lot of the problems I had with Warhammer Quest: TACG, which were namely time to set up, lack of support and obviously now an absence of expansions. Playing the same dungeon over and over just isn't "fun".

So thank you all, I've asked my LGS to see if they can get it in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Play the free app first, unless you're a "buy before you try" person. Base game can be found on sale. Paizo had one 50% off sale, so that's how I picked up some of the Adventure Paths (required for further play) and Class Decks (only if you REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY want to play a Gunslinger or goblin or something).

Check the BGG Hot Deals forum for the B&N online coupon, and search for the Pathfinder Game. If it's still on sale, you're going to get one of base games at over 50% off. Yes, you can start with any of the base games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.