Subject: Wild Clarifications rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan Norton
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Michel and Scott and anyone else that might know a clarification for my rules query! Had our first play of TEW last night and loved it. But we did get deep into the paint in an argument on the interpretation of the wild symbols. Here is how I understand the wilds. Please correct me where I am wrong.

1) If the X appears in multiple side-by-side bubbles, this means that the influence gained must be of a quantity equal to the number of bubbles and of only a single type. Example: XX (both X's in bubbles) could be 2 Force, or 2 Gold, but not 1 Gold and 1 Force.

2) If a number precedes the X, this means I may split up the influence gained among any influence types. Example: Gain 2X means that I can take 1 Gold and 1 Law, or 2 Law or any other combination of 2. If a building ability gives me 1X per wagon wheel and I have 3 wagon wheels, that is equal to 3X, which can be split among any combination of the three influence types.

3) If I gain A|B, this means I gain 2 influence, but they must be different types of influence. Example: I gain A|B. I could choose 1 Law and 1 Force, or 1 Force and 1 Gold, but I could not choose 2 Gold.

Thanks for settling this for my group!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nathertater wrote:
Hey Michel and Scott and anyone else that might know a clarification for my rules query! Had our first play of TEW last night and loved it. But we did get deep into the paint in an argument on the interpretation of the wild symbols. Here is how I understand the wilds. Please correct me where I am wrong.

1) If the X appears in multiple side-by-side bubbles, this means that the influence gained must be of a quantity equal to the number of bubbles and of only a single type. Example: XX (both X's in bubbles) could be 2 Force, or 2 Gold, but not 1 Gold and 1 Force.

2) If a number precedes the X, this means I may split up the influence gained among any influence types. Example: Gain 2X means that I can take 1 Gold and 1 Law, or 2 Law or any other combination of 2. If a building ability gives me 1X per wagon wheel and I have 3 wagon wheels, that is equal to 3X, which can be split among any combination of the three influence types.

That sounded backwards to me. 3 x 1 dot would intuitively seem like it should be three of 1 type and three different dots intuitively seems like it should be three different resources. It just makes sense: multiple dots = multiple resource types and a single dot = a single resource type (that is how pretty much every other game does it) but I checked the FAQ on the inside of the box cover and you are right:

It's so counter-intuitive and contrary to experience with other games I can't help but wonder if is a mistake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Norton
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EvanMinn wrote:
Nathertater wrote:

That sounded backwards to me. 3 x 1 dot would intuitively seem like it should be three of 1 type and three different dots intuitively seems like it should be three different resources. It just makes sense: multiple dots = multiple resource types and a single dot = a single resource type (that is how pretty much every other game does it) but I checked the FAQ on the inside of the box cover and you are right:

It's so counter-intuitive and contrary to experience with other games I can't help but wonder if is a mistake.

I agree that it is sort of reversed as far as intuitive interpretation goes...and holy crap, I didn't even NOTICE the FAQ there. I can't believe I overlooked that. I put the rules right in the box after setting up, didn't even notice that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think 1 and 2 would be reversed.
1) Both X's in individual bubbles would be 2 single amounts of a resource (but both could be the same) Could be 1 Force/1 Gold, or 1 Force/1 Force, but it doesn't have to be the same type.

2) Showing 2X would mean that it'd have to be the same of one type, no matter what. 2 Force or 2 Gold or 2 Law.

3) Sounds fine.

This is how I'd interpret it. Eager to see the official answer.

EDIT: Looking back at the post above (that I didnt see as I was typing). I guess you are right? Seems backwards like you mention. The example in the box would make more sense showing something like (A)(A)(A) (instead of X's) to denote they would be the same, and 3X showing the X could be any of a/b/c.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Mazzone
United States
Maspeth
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are 100% correct on all 3 interpretations. This is exactly how I understood them to be and how we've been playing them. Imho, they should have reversed the meanings for the single bubbles vs multiple bubbles, but its fine once you just play them as intended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Bear
United States
California
flag msg tools
So what about buildings like the train station, where you gain 1X for each of a share type that you have? Does that turn into a 3X or an XXX?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thiel
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EvanMinn wrote:

Agreed. It's very confusing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Norton
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
electricgray wrote:
So what about buildings like the train station, where you gain 1X for each of a share type that you have? Does that turn into a 3X or an XXX?

I believe that would be 1X for each share type for which you're getting the bonus. So, if you have 4 rails, then that is equal to 4X; 4 influence that you can split up however you like. This makes sense (in context it makes sense, despite the rule being a bit nebulous comparative to other games) because it says gain 1X not gain X, if I'm remembering rightly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nathertater wrote:
electricgray wrote:

I believe that would be 1X for each share type for which you're getting the bonus. So, if you have 4 rails, then that is equal to 4X; 4 influence that you can split up however you like. This makes sense (in context it makes sense, despite the rule being a bit nebulous comparative to other games) because it says gain 1X not gain X, if I'm remembering rightly.

I was thinking the opposite actually. Figuring (X) for each Rail you have. So (X)(X)(X) for 3 rails. Because to me it makes more sense thinking about it like this... Gain 1 gold for each rail you have. If you have 2, gain 2 gold, 3, gain 3 gold. But the resource would remain the same type. But your example of 1X vs X makes some sense too, and the original (somewhat backwards) notation is still throwing me off.
Also keep in mind all these cards cap at 3, so your 4X example would return only 3 resources

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Taylor
United States
Darien
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I expect this XXX vs 3X rule to cause endless confusion.

It seems to be written in the exact opposite way of how your brain wants to see it.

Honestly, I don't know how this got so far down the pike in playtesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hill
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Bullwinkle wrote:
I expect this XXX vs 3X rule to cause endless confusion.

It seems to be written in the exact opposite way of how your brain wants to see it.

Honestly, I don't know how this got so far down the pike in playtesting.

Agreed! Bar the confusion/ odd text at times... It's a great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
conpanbear
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
mbmb
Literally just finished reading the rulebook and insert FAQ, and came onto the forum to see if I wasn't the only one who thought the iconography was completely back to front Thinking algebraically, 3X would imply three of the same token. But no! It's the one part of the game that I'm not liking forward to teaching...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EvanMinn wrote:

I agree totally! But alas it's not a mistake. We soon get the grasp of it during game play, but you're right that the "symbology" is counterintuitive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Hennig
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Would the resource gain matter if it was played the way we read it. I would have read 3X as three of same type of resource as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
EvanMinn wrote:
Nathertater wrote:

Absolutely.
I asked my whole family (six peaple) what they thought each symbol meant. 100% of them assumed the opposite of what the rules tell us.

I'm baffled at this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.