United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want updates on when new TGIF polls are posted, or want to look at the results of past polls go to The TGIF Poll Subscription Thread.

We also have a microbadge available for those who enjoy the polls mb.

Poll: The 374th TGIF Poll
What year was the oldest game on your Top 10 published?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
0.4% 1
0.0% 0
0.0% 0
0.7% 2
1.4% 4
1.1% 3
0.4% 1
2.1% 6
1.1% 3
1.4% 4
0.7% 2
5.3% 15
5.0% 14
1.1% 3
1.4% 4
0.7% 2
3.6% 10
2.8% 8
1.1% 3
1.1% 3
0.7% 2
5.0% 14
1.8% 5
1.8% 5
0.4% 1
1.8% 5
1.1% 3
Pre-1990
35.9% 101
I don't keep a Top 10
20.3% 57
Voters 281
What year was the most recent game on your Top 10 published?
13.5% 38
27.8% 78
10.3% 29
5.0% 14
6.8% 19
4.6% 13
2.5% 7
3.2% 9
1.8% 5
1.4% 4
1.1% 3
0.4% 1
0.0% 0
0.0% 0
0.0% 0
0.4% 1
0.0% 0
0.0% 0
0.0% 0
0.0% 0
0.0% 0
0.0% 0
0.0% 0
0.0% 0
0.0% 0
0.4% 1
0.0% 0
Pre-1990
1.1% 3
I don't keep a Top 10
19.9% 56
Voters 281
Do you make an effort to try games from several years ago that are new to you or, when it comes to new to you games, are you primarily focused only on the recent stuff?
Always seeking what's new and fresh
1.0% 3
Usually new but occasionally old
26.8% 77
I do a decent mix of the two
59.6% 171
Usually old but occasionally new
9.1% 26
Always looking for the older classics
3.5% 10
Voters 287
This poll is now closed.   289 answers
Poll created by Blott
Closes: Fri Oct 7, 2016 6:00 am

4. Are there games that you still cling to that might not be as great as you think but nostalgia lifts them up? (Give examples if possible.)

Any discussion is encouraged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oldest: 1475 (Chess)
Newest: 2009 (Hansa Teutonica)

Does that make me Cult-of-the-Old?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oldest: 1982 (Empire Builder)
Newest: 2007 (Race for the Galaxy)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Age does not factor into my enjoyment of a game.

If I kept a top 10, Chess would be the oldest and The Networks would be the newest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My oldest is Go, so that's pretty 'pre-1990' I guess Next up would be Age of Steam, or perhaps El Grande, but I haven't played that one enough to say it's 'top 10' yet.

Newest would be Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization.

Since I'm relatively new to this hobby, I tend to be all over the place. I love playing new games, but there's also a treasure trove of classics for me to discover. So it depends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmb
I don't have my top 10 listed in my top 10, so I looked at my 10 rated games (and from there, I know my top 10).

Oldest: Crokinole
Newest: Macao

Do I have games I cling to for nostalgia value? Sure I do.

Examples...

Bermuda Triangle
Rail Baron

I still enjoy the heck out of these games but I do know they aren't necessarily the best games. These are my two examples off the top of my head.

Edit: I play and acquire new but I definitely lean towards the "older" games.

Second edit...throw Monopoly into the list of examples. I enjoy a game of Monopoly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
1 - Time's Up! from 1999

2 - Hanabi from 2010

3 - Right now I've been focusing more attention on catching up on what I've missed over the last couple of years, but usually I have a pretty solid mix of new and old. In fact there was a time, when Jason and I were trying to complete all the SdJ winners, and we were playing a lot of older games.

4 - Let's see...Rage is definitely one that I think is a pretty decent card game, but it is one that my family latched onto early in our gaming lives and so it has stuck with me more. Tin Soldiers is basically the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting that so far 48% say they have a pre-1990 game in their top 10...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Bruno
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
don't have a top ten. but most of my games are kind new simply because they are easier to get hold of, I can't be bothered scouring for a second hand copy of some game. But a good game is a good game whenever it was first published
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Carvin
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Oldest: Die Macher(1986)

2. Newest: Food Chain Magnate (2015)

3. I can't keep up with all the new games so I'm still trying to get games from years ago played. I'm always open to anything anyway.4

4. I definitely have some old games that I've held strictly for nostalgia. The Dukes of Hazzard Card Game and Indiana Jones from Raiders of the Lost Ark are prime examples, though I'm not under any illusions that these are even marginally good games.

I guess my shining star for old school awesomeness would be Dungeon!, a game I used to play when I was a kid with a bunch of friends in the neighbor's shed. Source of the Nile was my first Avalon Hill game and still fondly remembered but I just don't have the time anymore for such a solitaire adventure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steph
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Well, it's no Ginkgopolis...
mbmbmbmbmb
Tichu oldest in my top 10

RR German Railroads newest in my top 10

I play a lot of new games every month and it is definitely a mix of new and old. It is crazy the amount of games I play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Steski
United States
Ithaca
NY
flag msg tools
Vigilo Confido
badge
In the pipe, five by five...
mbmbmbmbmb
Oldest: TI3 (2005)
Newest: Cthulhu Wars/Blood Rage (2015)

2016 has some strong contenders (Scythe, Rebellion, New Angeles) that might slip in there given enough time. (And in New Angeles' case, given that FFG actually makes their target date)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
4. Are there games that you still cling to that might not be as great as you think but nostalgia lifts them up? (Give examples if possible.)

For me it would be:
My "Roman numeral" edition of Risk - it was one of my first board games.
My "Deluxe" Anniversary edition of Monopoly from the late 80s that I got as a prize for winning my town's Monopoly championship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
My top 10 games were released in:

Blott wrote:

Sure - my enjoyment of Mr. President, for instance - is enhanced my nostalgia for the game. But that's the extent of it - games I'm nostalgic about but don't continue to enjoy enough to keep playing don't stick around for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Hallstrom
United States
Jackson
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oldest: Cosmic Encounter (1977)
Newest: Golem Arcana (2014)

(also have Die Macher (1986)) on there are well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
XIPULOXX FHTAGN!
mbmbmbmbmb
1. It depends what you mean by "oldest"...

The oldest game in my top 10 according to BGG is Ra, from 1999, so I went with that. But that's because BGG counts the different editions of Fury of Dracula as different games. If it counted them all as one, that would be the oldest, as its first edition came out in 1987.

(I'm not saying they should necessarily count as the same game: the 1st ed was very different.)

2. According to BGG, it's Fury of Dracula 3rd ed from 2015. But again I was torn: maybe it should be Concordia, from 2013, because I really think FOD 2nd and 3rd ed are the same game.

3. There are always plenty of new games coming out that look interesting, But there are plenty of Great Old Ones I've never played too, including at least one hard-to-find Knizia classic that I really wish someone would reprint (Modern Art). So a mix of the two.

4. I'm honestly not sure I can be objective about my reasons for rating a game highly. I used to have Carcassonne in my top 10 partly because it was the game that made me a board game geek (as opposed to an occasional board gamer). I've downgraded it now, but I think my rating of 8 for the base game is maybe still a bit high (it's vastly better with the first expansion or two).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have four pre-'90 games in my top 10 (Diplomacy, Dune, Cosmic Encounter, Chess), five more in my top 25 (Junta, Axis & Allies, Space Hulk, Talisman, Car Wars), and a further six more in my top 50 (Wiz-War, Kings & Things, Werewolf, Ikusa, Conquest of the Empire, Poker)

I fully admit some of these are bumped up a notch or two by nostalgia, but hey, all lists are subjective anyway. Why not factor in nostalgia along with other qualities that make me happy such as component quality, rules clarity, artwork, set-up time, etc.... my ratings aren't strictly gameplay only.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Sheldon
United States
Springfield
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Oldest: 1986 (Britannia & Die Macher)

2. Newest: 2015 (Churchill)

3. When I am playing new games...I tend to play the latest games. But occasionally I discover a game that slipped by from yesterdays gone by...

Blott wrote:

There are a few I just really like and even though I know they are not as good as some newer games I cannot get away from them. Mostly war games. Just a few below....

Wooden Ships & Iron Men
Gettysburg (1977 Edition)
Titan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John N.
United States
Lehi
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. If you allow Cosmic Encounter to be counted for it's original printing then it is 1977, otherwise it would be Catan: Cities & Knights in 1998.

2. Automobiles in 2016, although I just played Terraforming Mars, and that might force something out of my top 10... but it will still mean a 2016 game

3. I try to mix it up between new games and classics. With my family it is hard to introduce anything new, because there are 2 or 3 games they ONLY want to play on heavy rotation. With my friends they are very cult of the new and always want to be learning something new. Because of this I have a few games, like Steam, Power Grid, Last Will, and The Manhattan Project that I just want to get to the table, but no one in any of my groups want to try this either because they are too complex for the one group, or too old for the other. Grrrr...

4. Probably HeroQuest or Advanced Heroquest. I have much better Dungeon Crawls in my game collection, but I still try and drag these out for me and my kids, because they are just fun for me, and make me feel young again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
1. Hearts and Poker are in my top 10 (and Backgammon is not there purely out of forgetfulness). Dune(1979) is the oldest non-traditional game.

2. Resistance Avalon (2011), but I need to update my top 10. Terraforming Mars(2016?) is not there yet but I bet it will be soon.

3. (B) I'd prefer a mix, but my game group understandably brings in new stuff all the time and I'm fine with mostly playing them. They make jokes when I bring in a "neglected classic" on occasion but they are happy to try them.

4. Dune is in my Top 10 out of nostalgia, not because it is not a good game, but because it is nearly impossible to get to the table. A game I only play once every two years, for whatever reason, shouldn't be in my top 10. But I had SOOO many great games back in the day, I just can't take it off the list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Miller
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oldest: 2012 (Mice & Mystics, Robinson Crusoe, Tzolk'in, 1989)
Newest: 2016 (Scythe)
#11: 2005 (Twilight Struggle)

2012 was, apparently, a Good Year for games for me.

I'm happy to grab games from any year if I see positive reviews of them and can find a copy, which usually results in me focusing on the new stuff due to how easily games rotate out of print and how willing I tend not to be to track stuff down. But I'll play pretty much anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Hensel
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
Have games, Will travel
mbmbmbmbmb
morris9597 wrote:
Age does not factor into my enjoyment of a game.

+1

I'm always looking to try a game that is new to me that I think I might like, and I don't care when it was first published.

4 Gettysburg (1958) It's been a long time since my last play, but it's a classic to me. I love the art of the board. I understand the squares on the board to regulate movement reflect the tactical theory of the Civil War era. Whether I play it again or not, plan to keep it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederic Heath-Renn
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At time of writing, both of the first two polls had 131 votes, but the first had 23 "I don't keep a Top 10" votes and the second 22. Did one voter compile a top 10 in between the two questions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Akamas Nairb
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Steampunk Rally and 7 wonders duel are my newest games, as for my oldest that would be chess, Rook, and few other card games.

In answer to #4 that would have to be one of 4 games. Axis and Allies, Fortress America, Hero's Quest or Dark Tower. Playing these as a kid, really got me interested in board games and I am a bit soft/nostalgic when it comes to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oldest game in my top 10: Crokinole (1876)
Newest game in my top 10: Greed (2014)

When it comes to what new-to-me games I seek out, I guess brand new games tend to leap off the shelf more easily just because they're fresher in my my mind, but I'm cool with playing whatever.

As far as nostalgia goes, the main game in my top 10 that might be hanging on simply due to nostalgia is Formula Dé. I'll actively recommend the other 9, whereas I'm not sure how often I'd suggest Formula De. I just have a lot of really great memories of league play, which really took a game I already really liked and made it shine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.