Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't tried it, but I don't see why it couldn't be done.

Allow for board wrapping where the exposed edges "wrap" around and touch the exposed edges on the opposite side.

Utilize the 2 extra warp storms provided by the game. They start by blocking wrapping between the 4 tiles that are farthest apart. As wrapping is allowed, even though they will physically be on one end or the other. They should be treated as if they were at either end, when determining how you'd like to move them.

I would imagine that this variant should allow for faster games, but I could be wrong. I believe that the matches could be and should be more interesting, as players would have more connections between the tiles and more connections that can be temporarily enabled and disabled during the course of a game.

I don't recommend this variant for those with AP problems as they may have difficulty wrapping their brains around the added connectivity and additional warp storms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artemus Maximus
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Board wrapping and utilizing the extra warp storms in a 2 player game.
I suggest calling this the Wrap Storm Variant..

They had the z-axis travel connectors in Star Craft...so I tried this idea out a while ago using black glass beads as wormholes in void spaces. It definitely made things much more difficult...but more fun for me as well. They should not be placed on a home world tile IMO. I can see them creating even more chaos in a 3-player game, assuming 3 are placed total.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Killer Spaceman wrote:
I suggest calling this the Wrap Storm Variant..

They had the z-axis travel connectors in Star Craft...so I tried this idea out a while ago using black glass beads as wormholes in void spaces. It definitely made things much more difficult...but more fun for me as well. They should not be placed on a home world tile IMO. I can see them creating even more chaos in a 3-player game, assuming 3 are placed total.

I decided to go with your suggestion. I'm going to have to check out StarCraft: The Board Game to get a better understanding of how it works. Sounds cool though. I like things that open things up and create more decision points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve mathers
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
My concern is that at the moment, setup tile placement forces you to decide between the relative safety of a side/corner placement vs being closer to your objectives by spreading out or starting centrally. Its a nice conundrum.

Also, factions with fragile starting ground forces tend to have better mobility and so are more suited to starting strong in a corner/side (i.e. Eldar / Nids). If you make the board wrap-around it will tend to disproportionately advantage the faction with stronger starting forces, but reduced mobility such as Orks/Tau/Crons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stevenmathers wrote:
My concern is that at the moment, setup tile placement forces you to decide between the relative safety of a side/corner placement vs being closer to your objectives by spreading out or starting centrally. Its a nice conundrum.

Also, factions with fragile starting ground forces tend to have better mobility and so are more suited to starting strong in a corner/side (i.e. Eldar / Nids). If you make the board wrap-around it will tend to disproportionately advantage the faction with stronger starting forces, but reduced mobility such as Orks/Tau/Crons.

You bring up a great point. Assuming no warp storms, the max distance without wrap would be 3 boards, while with it would 2 boards. From a strict integer viewpoint it isn't that significant, but if you look at it from a percentage standpoint, board is being reduce by 1/3. This is probably the more appropriate way to analyze it.

Maybe a 2 axis wrap is too much and it is better to allow the wrap to only occur only along 1 axis. This could still open up more options as far as tactics go as there would be more connections and warp storms to manipulate without "shrinking" the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.