$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 126.34

7,507 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
47.3% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » General

Subject: Push! (AKA: I had no idea this rule existed) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fruit Eating Bear
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was watching a video today and one character decided to do the Push action. What the? I'd never heard of it. It's in the rules, though, so I've been playing wrong all this time. I'm not sure of a reason I'd use it, though. Might as well thump a monster rather than just move it, and I can't see any benefit in moving a fellow character along. When have you used it in your games?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zed Lovecraft
Germany
Duesseldorf
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We used it once to push a character out of dynamite range.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney "Watch It Played" Smith
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
Join us to learn and watch games played at youtube.com/watchitplayed
mbmbmbmbmb
Fruit Eating Bear wrote:
I was watching a video today and one character decided to do the Push action. What the? I'd never heard of it. It's in the rules, though, so I've been playing wrong all this time. I'm not sure of a reason I'd use it, though. Might as well thump a monster rather than just move it, and I can't see any benefit in moving a fellow character along. When have you used it in your games?


It's especially helpful if you have an action you don't want to use, or you really want someone else to have two full actions on their turn, without having to spend one to move. Or perhaps you just need to help them get further than they'd be able to go otherwise.

You can see an example of that in play here: https://youtu.be/8e0Peg5aoSc?t=3m54s
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rindfleisch
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The benefit of moving a fellow character along is when the other character has limited movement, but you are all trying to run away from something. If you're gonna lose when someone dies, you might be better off sacrificing one of your movement spaces in order to help someone else move a space further with you to keep ahead of whatever is terrorizing you. I just imagine helping someone with a broken leg hobble a bit faster than they could on their own.

Odds are this situation won't come up often, hence why it's one of the "rarely used" actions, but it's cool that you have the ability to do it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fruit Eating Bear
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pelvidar wrote:
Fruit Eating Bear wrote:
I was watching a video today and one character decided to do the Push action. What the? I'd never heard of it. It's in the rules, though, so I've been playing wrong all this time. I'm not sure of a reason I'd use it, though. Might as well thump a monster rather than just move it, and I can't see any benefit in moving a fellow character along. When have you used it in your games?


It's especially helpful if you have an action you don't want to use, or you really want someone else to have two full actions on their turn, without having to spend one to move. Or perhaps you just need to help them get further than they'd be able to go otherwise.

You can see an example of that in play here: https://youtu.be/8e0Peg5aoSc?t=3m54s


Thanks Rodney, it was actually your video I was watching.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renjie Zhou
Belgium
Baal (Tremelo)
Vlaams Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Expert Rodney to the rescue.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dillon Flaherty
United States
Severna Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I, too, had zero clue that Push existed until watching Rodney!! Looking forward to future games of MoM with another action!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
owen sullivan
United States
Ellisville
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Push can be useful when people are insane also.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riley Doyle
United States
Londonderry
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
I used push to move another character so they wouldn't have to do an evade check.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lordevilthefirst wrote:
Push can be useful when people are insane also.


I used push to

Spoiler (click to reveal)
separate Carolyn Fern from the rest of the group and shiv her with a whiskey bottle. She resisted of course, but I was Michael McGlenn.


devil
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Tymoshyshyn
England
Liskeard
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I must admit, I always thought Push was used as an agressive action against an insane investigator who you thought was up to no good. It was only watching Rodney's brilliant playthrough that made me realise how you could use it much more effectively. I'll certainly be looking for more opportunities to use it now. Thanks Rodney.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Board Games World
Saudi Arabia
Jeddah
Jeddah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the elaboration
If I wanted to use the push action to push another person, while I have a monster, I should do an evade test, but what if I want to follow the person I pushed, should I to an evade action once more, or no need?

Regards
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riley Doyle
United States
Londonderry
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Potatopotato wrote:
Thanks for the elaboration
If I wanted to use the push action to push another person, while I have a monster, I should do an evade test, but what if I want to follow the person I pushed, should I to an evade action once more, or no need?

Regards


Those are 2 separate actions so you'd have to do two evade checks.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RileyD wrote:
Potatopotato wrote:
Thanks for the elaboration
If I wanted to use the push action to push another person, while I have a monster, I should do an evade test, but what if I want to follow the person I pushed, should I to an evade action once more, or no need?

Regards


Those are 2 separate actions so you'd have to do two evade checks.


This is wrong.

According to the reference guide, while performing a Push action, you actually may choose to move with the person you are pushing as part of that action. So you would only need to perform an evade for the character who is pushing once.

The other option is to push the monster (but he could resist it via a brawn test or something I believe).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.