Support:

Chris R.
United States
Unspecified
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
"Top women chess players are threatening to boycott the world championship in Iran because they will be forced to wear hijabs. ...

The World Chess Federation (FIDE) ... has now been accused of failing to stand up for women's rights after telling players to accept the laws and respect 'cultural differences'...

'...failing to comply can lead to imprisonment (or punishment) and women's rights are being severely restricted in general. It does not feel safe for women from around the world to play here.'

'This violates all what sports means. Sport should be free of discrimination by sex, religion and sexual orientation.'"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3814137/World-chess-...

"The US women's champion, Nazi Paikidze-Barnes, will not be taking part in the event in Tehran next February..."

The woman's champion is named Nazi?

"...former Pan American champion Carla Heredia -- who did not qualify for the Tehran tournament -- also called for the 64 women who are playing there to protest against the hijab rule.

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/09/30/middleeast/chess-iran-wome...

"Any woman found not wearing (a hijab) in public faces arrest, a fine or public admonishment. However, players claim by awarding the event to Iran Fide is turning a blind eye to sexual discrimination. ... The U.S. Department of State has issued a warning about travelling to Iran saying citizens risk being unjustly imprisoned or kidnapped because of their nationality. ...

'If you are deeply Christian why would you want to wear a symbol of Islamic oppression of women?'

FIDE is already reeling after its president, the eccentric multi-millionaire Kirsan Ilyumzhinov, was placed on a US sanctions list for alleged business dealings with Syrian president Bashar al-Assad's regime."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/29/female-chess-play...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fair enough, if they think this will make a difference good luck to them.

Let us hope that none of the usual anti-SJW types show up and tell us how boycotts are wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I find the term 'boycott' insulting and sexist.

It should be 'person-cott'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
United States
Santee
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:

Let us hope that none of the usual anti-SJW types show up and tell us how boycotts are wrong.

Why would boycotts be wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dandechino wrote:
Some people have voiced the opinion that attacking someones livelihood because they have differing views from you is wrong. (granted, this isn't one of those kind of boycotts)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
shake 'respect cultural differences'? THIS from those zealots that can't ABIDE their 'picayune disputes' regarding their OWN "religious beliefs" amongst one another?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dandechino wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

Well part from the fact there is some evidence they have no effect none, but then I am not one of those who says they are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
dandechino wrote:
Some people have voiced the opinion that attacking someones livelihood because they have differing views from you is wrong. (granted, this isn't one of those kind of boycotts)
Well apart from those who make money off the WCC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Right, but there is some difference between boycotting by not participating in something that results in objectionable consequences and boycotting by not buying something from someone you don't agree with. I think they are both legitimate, but some draw that line and say one is agreeable while the other isn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Right, but there is some difference between boycotting by not participating in something that results in objectionable consequences and boycotting by not buying something from someone you don't agree with. I think they are both legitimate, but some draw that line and say one is agreeable while the other isn't.
OK, you are right in that not participating and not buying are not the same thing.

I cannot help but be reminded of those people refusing to participate in events in RFA states.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say they should hold it there and the women should agree to wear whatever outfit Iran wants them to. Then they should just wear their normal clothes and see what Iran does. Is Iran going to throw all the female chess players in jail? I doubt it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:
I'd say they should hold it there and the women should agree to wear whatever outfit Iran wants them to. Then they should just wear their normal clothes and see what Iran does. Is Iran going to throw all the female chess players in jail? I doubt it.
No, but the revolutionary guard are a law unto themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
You are right, even in Saudi Arabia the religious police are not going to call in for diplomatic guidance before they nightstick a woman for showing skin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's unsafe for any American to travel to Iran, hijab or no. The risk of arbitrary detention is too high.

I wonder at the statement in the article that none of the chess federations, including the US, objected to holding the championship in Iran.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:

I wonder at the statement in the article that none of the chess federations, including the US, objected to holding the championship in Iran.

It's seems likely that they are trying for positive engagement and to promote the idea that their activity is "above" politics. This despite the fact that such events have been political footballs in the past.

However, your point about the inherent danger to participants is well taken given the recent history of Iran towards foreign visitors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
slatersteven wrote:
TheChin! wrote:
You are right, even in Saudi Arabia the religious police are not going to call in for diplomatic guidance before they nightstick a woman for showing skin.
whistle North Carolina were 'direly' "available"!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any international conference or competition in any country which imposes this kind of restriction on women attendees, should be boycotted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:

I understand your sentiment, but I don't agree with using women as pawns in a political game of 'gotcha'. We have fundamental standards and principles, and should not compromise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it supposed to be a gotcha that we filthy liberals are against forcing people to wear a hijab?

I don't think anyone reasonable thinks this is Islamophobia on anything past a second glance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 8 27 Feb - 1 Mar 2015 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk Essex Games 27 Jul '15
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bob_santafe wrote:
Any international conference or competition in any country which imposes this kind of restriction on women attendees, should be boycotted.

Have you seen who runs FIDE?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Salch
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the article:

Quote:
American Grandmaster Susan Polgar, chairman of Fide's Commission for Women's Chess, has said the players need to respect ‘cultural differences’.

She said: ‘When I visited different places with different cultures, I like to show my respect by dressing up in their traditional style of clothing. No one asked me to do it. I just do it out of respect.

‘I personally would have no issues with wearing a head scarf (hijab) as long as it is the same to all players.

‘I cannot speak on behalf of others but from my personal conversations with various players in the past year, they had no real issues with it.’

interesting question.
Frankly, I think the lack of safety is more of an issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Me nah play no 'ide and seek
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FIDE really should have hammered out an exemption before agreeing to hold the tournament there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 8 27 Feb - 1 Mar 2015 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk Essex Games 27 Jul '15
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
toku42 wrote:
FIDE really should have hammered out an exemption before agreeing to hold the tournament there.

That would be the FIDE run by someone under sanctions for "materially assisting and acting for or on behalf of the Government of Syria".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I doubt the feminists in RSP will get upset about this type of female subjugation.Hell if the US can force people to bake a cake, then the Iranian government should be able to force women to dress like idiots.

In hind sight, holding a female competition in a nation that supports rape culture may not have been a great idea. I wonder if the people who made this decision have some ulterior motive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Michealson
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
I doubt the feminists in RSP will get upset about this type of female subjugation.Hell if the US can force people to bake a cake, then the Iranian government should be able to force women to dress like idiots.

Hell the U.S. even forced the deep south to remove "colored" drinking fountains, "colored" places to dine and everything else labeled "colored". It's government overreach!

If you want to own a bakery in the United States, then you can't decide who you will and will not serve... PERIOD.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.