$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
26.4% of Goal | 29 Days Left

Support:

Mike Wall
United Kingdom
Ormskirk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume the very small stickers are go on the hoplites shields and the larger stickers are for the two Scoring markers and the game Round marker.

But can anyone tell me what are the two plastic Ionic columns for?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Moore
England
Birmingham
flag msg tools
designer
'This War Without an Enemy'
mbmbmbmbmb
I wondered that too. They could be used as scoring markers - the wooden ones are too large.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy
United Kingdom
Chorleywood
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mb
They in replacement for the wooden scoring markers and were a KS exclusive I think.

But wait, they are both the same

You are meant to use one upside down, which makes it Ionic I think, but the bottom of mine were so poor that its not practical.In any case not a very elegant differntiation.

In intend to paint mine blue and red, its a shame the wooden marker stickers are too big for the top of the columns
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I took one look at the columns and decided I like the wooden discs much better. The columns are awful and will remain in the box. If some non-backer wants them, just drop me a geekmail and they're yours, I don't want them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The wooden discs are too large. The resin columns are too tall, aren't different to one another and the bases aren't flat. The third part I could have fixed with a file, I suppose, but the first two issues aren't so easy.

I came up with another solution (one that involved selling the game to someone who really wanted to buy it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Wall
United Kingdom
Ormskirk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The discs when the stickers are applied look very effective and are only awkward if your scores are next to each other. Off-setting them solves the problem perfectly - selling the game instead seems a tad drastic!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji
Switzerland
Gurmels
FR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The scoring markers ARE way too big for the track, and the columns are useless. Playing the game just once with the final components makes this obvious. I'm a bit concerned how such easy-to-avoid issues made it into the final game and about the new QM game coming from the same manufacturer...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Minot
North Dakota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do not think the game is worth selling, but from what I have seen with QM:VoD and the TGW + Tank Expansion pack (so three purchases), PSC's quality control is abysmal. Their customer service has been very accommodating, but that does not make up for everything (such as the component issues listed here). I backed Battle of Britain and the Hold the Line Remastered before I saw the mistakes in VoD.

PSC is sort of on probation with me right now. I am definitely not backing any more PSC KS efforts until I see how BoB and HtL turn out. If Battle of Britain and HtL come out without issues, all is forgiven. However, if they too suffer from quality control problems as the previous releases, I doubt I back any more PSC products, and will wait and see what happens with retail release.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benoît Delcorps
Belgium
Bruxelles
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RDewsbery wrote:
I came up with another solution (one that involved selling the game to someone who really wanted to buy it).

Benji68 wrote:
The scoring markers ARE way too big for the track, and the columns are useless. Playing the game just once with the final components makes this obvious. I'm a bit concerned how such easy-to-avoid issues made it into the final game and about the new QM game coming from the same manufacturer...

Guys, you really are overreacting.

Okay, the score markers are a bit too large, but is this really a problem? Does it really affect your game experience ?

Next picture is how it looks most of the time. Who couldn't tell the Demos has 2 VP and the Oligarchs 6 VP ?

Now, I agree, when scores are close, it's slightly awkward, but don't tell me you cant' tell, from the next picture, that Demos came back to 5 VP and the Oligarchs still have 6 VP...

Finally, if this really bother you, you can be creative, and for example, use the turn marker for the Oligarchs, and reverse the Oligardchs VP marker and use it as a turn marker (or, alternatively, use your plastic column as a turn marker). Some idea here :

Maybe for next batch, if the games gets reedited, they could make all three wooden markers the same size... but well.

It really hurts me to read that some MINOR material imperfection makes people get rid of this really EXCELLENT game or prevent them to buy or back other games in the series.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji
Switzerland
Gurmels
FR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game IS excellent and i am not going to NOT buy other games in the series (actually I just backed 1914, getting it next week in Essen).

Still, i don't understand how a production company (not the designer of the game!) can let such completely basic and easy to avoid mistakes (yes, they are mistakes) happen. It does not diminish my appreciation of the game itself, but it definitely reflects badly on the production company (especially since the production of the original QM was perfectly fine). This time the production issues were relatively minor, I don't know what they will be next time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Brody
United States
Woodstock
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately the twin sided columns for stretch goal victory markers was my idea. I did think they would be made in blue and red, but I'll take the blame for thinking that people would immediately figure out that the column ends were different and were associated with the two major ethnic groups involved (Ionic v. Doric).

The wooden scoring blocks I take no credit for. I don't find them impossible to use, but a smaller token would have been better I'd agree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji
Switzerland
Gurmels
FR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fortunately, my fears were unfounded.

While the cards may feel a bit flimsy, the plastic minis in QM 1914 are good! The markers fit perfectly (and are similar to the original QM).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.