4 Posts

Conflict of Heroes: Guadalcanal – The Pacific 1942» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Ambush! (AAR - Firefight 4) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Luksich
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I sat down yesterday to give this FF a spin with one of the members of the small local wargame club in an attempt to avenge myself after my defeat a few weeks back in FF2. Like all of the other scenarios I've played from Guadalcanal, this one has some really interesting tension and tough decisions. The Marines are have to decide whether to move fast or slow, weighing safety versus speed. The Japanese get a very free hidden deployment with all of their units and need to decide how to shape their defense and weigh revealing their units versus the Bushido Points (And thus CAPs) they receive by keeping them hidden.

The gist is that the American forces are pushing through the jungle towards what they think is a lightly defended village. The board is not too friendly to line of sight or movement, with a lot of jungle to block line of sight and slow troops down (Not to mention provide some of the beefiest Defense Modifiers in the series to date, +3 DM in heavy jungle!). Through the jungle, kunai grass and a palm grove lies the objective in a small village, worth 3 VPs at the end of the game AND tied to Japanese reinforcements (More on that below).

The Marines start with four 2nd Raider squads (Same stats as the Marine rifles but in this scenario they get a capability card of the player's choice) plus an Air Support card (6 red DR but can't attack jungle hexes). They also have three Paramarine squads and an MG team arriving as reinforcements on turn 3.

Arrayed against his Marines was a hodgepodge of my Japanese units: An infantry squad, a MMG, a Sniper and a 75mm Mtn Gun that all start hidden. Plus from round 2 onwards, if the Japanese player controls the objective at the start of the round, they receive two infantry squads that come in anywhere from the east side of the board.

I positioned my MMG in a patch of heavy jungle (J03 I believe) off to the west of the board that gave it decent line of sight on the most open approaches to the village. My sniper and 75mm I positioned in two jungle hexes east of the village that turned out to have pretty bad lines of sight. I debated sticking my infantry next to the MMG but I opted to instead position them as my only unit defending the village itself, hiding them in a hut adjacent to the objective.

Round 1: My units hidden, the game began with my opponent moving cautiously forward, grouping his Marines together in a bit of jungle towards the middle of the board that gave him good line of sight. My sniper took a hidden shot a squad its way there but I quickly realized that I didn't have LOS to much else. Having reached the edge of the tree line, the Marines used the air strike to hit one of the huts on the edge of the village to try to flush out any hidden units. The round ends with all of my units hidden. I receive 4 bushido points (1 for each hidden unit), bumping my CAPs to 8.

Round 2: The jungle is quiet. The Marines start group moving (Via CAPs) three of the four squads towards the village (One stayed back in the tree line). I wait until they passed the MMG, before opening up on the flank of a squad moving through the open ground. With the help of 2 CAPs and a solid die roll I cut down one of the three advancing squads. The others make it into the village. I start brining in my two reinforcement squads through a clearing to the east, but the American air support scores a hit and forces them to slow down and rally. One of the Marine squads pushes in towards the center of the village, where they stumble on my hidden infantry unit and are in the ensuing close combat. His other squad that hung back tries to cross the open ground to engage my MMG in close combat, but gets pinned right next to it. The pinned unit returns fire, suppressing my MMG. I advance my victorious infantry unit into open ground towards the surviving Marine unit in the village. The round ends with two threatening situations (The MMG/Marine close range firefight and the Marine/Infantry close range firefight). I receive two more Bushido points for my hidden sniper and 75mm gun, bringing me to 10 CAPs.

Round 3: Round 3 opens with the resolution of both of the cliff hangers from the previous round. The Japanese infantry in the village get strafed by the plane (drawing a berserk marker), rush the Marines and get handily cut down. Those Marines in the village then advance toward the objective, but get overwhelmed by the two reinforcement Infantry squads from last round. The MMG ends up cutting down the pinned squad (The +3 DM for the heavy jungle is tough to beat!). The Paramarines and the MG team take up position in the same patch of jungle as their ill fated comrades and the Japanese reinforcements circle around to the northeast of them.

Round 4: The Marines attempt to clear out the MMG but to no effect, and one of the Paramarine squads is cut down trying to repel the flanking Japanese infantry. Having suffered heavy losses and with the Japanese surrounding the Marines in strong positions my opponent decides to call the match.

We spent some time talking about this one afterwards, and there is a lot to pick apart. I'd be curious to hear your guys thoughts on this one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Grose
United States
Olmsted Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played same Firefight as the Marines last night. By round 5 the Raiders and 4 Jap infantry were KIA and the Paramarines were able to take the village and win by 3 points. Wildcat strafing was decisive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Luksich
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting! Which way did you take to the village with the radiers? Did you wait up for the Paramarines or did you try and get to the village as soon as possible?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Grose
United States
Olmsted Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried to get to the village with the Raiders asap to deny the Japs reinforcements. I held the village for turn 2 and 3 and then lost it on round 4 when my Raiders were wiped out. This set the stage for round 5 when I had the Paramarines near the village facing only 1 hit Jap inf, the MMG, and 75 MM. See map below. The round 5 Jap reinforcements are a non-factor as they can't reach the battlefield in time. I also gave the Paramarines the Swift Action capability so unit 19 swept past and outflanked the MMG and 75 mm on the way to the objective. That unit blew up the 75 mm and was on the objective. Game over, Marines win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.