10 Posts

Munchkin» Forums » General

Subject: Starting out with Munchkin, what to buy first? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Clint Ghosn
Philippines
flag msg tools
Hi I am going to buy my first Munchkin game ever but I can only buy online and all the Munchkin Deluxe is sold out. However, Guest Artist Edition (Ian McGinty) and Munchkin (standard edition) is still in stock.

My question: is the guest artist edition a good way to be introduced into the world of Munchkins or maybe I should wait for the Deluxe version to be available again?

- What are the major differences in Guest Artist editions?
- Are the cards in Guest Artist edition different or it's just the same with different art?
- How about the card backs in Guest Artist edition, is it just the same with the standard munchkin card or is it unique? I'm planning to buy expansions.

final question:
Is it a big loss if I buy the Munchkin standard edition instead of the Deluxe edition?

Thanks

Edit: specified Guest Artist edition in question

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

The Guest Artist Editions are the same games, new art. Same card titles, same rules, same monster strengths, same treasures. Different art.

The card backs are the same in this photo, and I'm pretty sure they're the same for the exact reason you mention: compatibility. I don't have one handy to check, though.

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PG1515...

The Deluxe Editions include a board and standees to keep track of everyone's level, and they're bigger so they hold more expansions. Other than that they are the same, no new rules or cards. Definitely worth the extra $5 unless you specifically want the small box and don't plan on adding too many expansions.

If you want a specific version remember to check warehouse23.com, they sometimes have stuff when other places don't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Ghosn
Philippines
flag msg tools
Okay, I'm going with the Guest Artist edition since it is the same with the standard Munchkin set only with different art.

Thanks for taking the time to answer all my question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Reed
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
clintgh wrote:
Hi I am going to buy my first Munchkin game ever but I can only buy online and all the Munchkin Deluxe is sold out.

We recently received a restock of Deluxe, but demand was higher than expected and we're already running low again. The Guest Artist Edition is an excellent choice will give the same gameplay experience as the basic Deluxe version of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Geraghty
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely get a copy of the base game that comes with a board and pawns. So, any of the Deluxe and/or Guest Artist Editions will do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have experienced Munchkin players in your game group, Conan is also a good place to start. The set's not too complicated for new players, but has enough new content for the veterans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Conan is a great set. I particularly like it. It's not very silly, though. If you're a Conan fan, it's a must. If you're not a Conan fan and you want silly, basic is probably better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Ghosn
Philippines
flag msg tools
Sam and Max wrote:
If you have experienced Munchkin players in your game group, Conan is also a good place to start.

We're all beginners, really looking for a good intro to the game. But Conan will be on our list for the future.

andreww wrote:
Conan is a great set. I particularly like it. It's not very silly, though. If you're a Conan fan, it's a must. If you're not a Conan fan and you want silly, basic is probably better.

Not that much of a Conan fan but if we got hooked we might buy Conan, it's definitely on our list now.

Phil and Sean, Thanks I'm getting the Guest Artist edition and I'm glad it comes with a board and other deluxe stuff.

Oh hey guys, I am planning to buy expansions in the future (munchkin 2+, pathfinder, etc), do you think it would be okay if the Guest Artist edition is combined with other Munchkin expansions?

Might have a huge art difference, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbin Gross
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
All of the expansions are great. I'd say the only ones that really change things up are 6 and 6.5. They add the dungeons and portals. It makes the games slightly more complicated, since there are extra instructions depending on which dungeon you wind up in, but they're fun.

There's also a bigger-boxed expansion called "Game Changers". It's got the Fairy Dust and Munchkinomicon expansions in it, as well as a few other things. Those are kinda fun too.

But there's always the option of just picking up 2, then 3, and so forth as you want to add elements to the game. You can pretty much by them in any order. Except maybe for 7 I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Corbidorbi wrote:
You can pretty much buy them in any order. Except maybe for 7 I think.

Well, one of the things the numbered expansions do is incorporate cards from previous expansions. For example, Munchkin 2 introduces the Orc race, so Munchkin 3 (which introduces the Gnome race) also includes one Orc race card. By extension, Munchkin 4 includes both a Gnome card and an Orc card, etc.

It's all still 100% compatible regardless of the order you add them, you just run the risk of having weird one-off cards mixed into your deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.