1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Board games for a D&D group? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fake Name
msg tools
mb
Hello everyone. I know this has been asked in the past and I've found some threads from several years ago but nothing more recent. With games like Kingdom Death and Conan now I'm hoping to find a recommendation for a few games that will give my group a similar feel but without all the DM work.

Would love a cooperative game, that does not require a DM. I want player progression, new items, abilities, etc. Prefer a fantasy theme but open to other things.

The group has Descent, that game was a huge let down. I also have Arcadia Quest which should make it to the table soon, but this one isn't coop. Tried Pathfinder ACG,I enjoyed it but others didn't.

Basically I want to replace our on and off D&D campaign with a board game that scratches the same itch but doesn't require us waiting on the slacker DM (I'm the slacker btw) thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It won't be released until around the end of the year, so if you can wait, you should check out Sword & Sorcery.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you guys are comfortable with RPGs, what about using the Mythic Game Master Emulator with D&D, or a simpler system like Tunnels & Trolls? I haven't used Mythic GME myself, but it seems to have a pretty decent following.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gloomhaven is another one that isn't out yet, but will be in a bit, and fits well.

Myth fits, is out now, but has very mixed reviews.

Mice & Mystics also fits, but the aesthetic might be a bit too childish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel King
United States
Franklin
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if you are familiar with the Dice Tower, but they did an episode of the podcast where they did a top 10 games for role players. The link to the youtube video is Here and the link to the top 10 list is Here. I think they are pretty good lists.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Franzman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
Hey! You don't know where that cursor has been!
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkham Horror?
Eldritch Horror?
Arkham Horror: The Card Game?

(Do you see a theme here?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juhan Voolaid
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Basically thematic games. My favorite would be Betrayal at House on the Hill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman L.
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
davidbrit2 wrote:
Since you guys are comfortable with RPGs, what about using the Mythic Game Master Emulator with D&D, or a simpler system like Tunnels & Trolls? I haven't used Mythic GME myself, but it seems to have a pretty decent following.

the Mythic GM Emulator still requires a lot of prep work- the GM still needs to come up with story/plot points/characters/events/etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fake Name
msg tools
mb
wkufan89 wrote:
I don't know if you are familiar with the Dice Tower, but they did an episode of the podcast where they did a top 10 games for role players. The link to the youtube video is Here and the link to the top 10 list is Here. I think they are pretty good lists.

Thanks for this. Most of these we have are on our radar but dont really fit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fake Name
msg tools
mb
Starting to think the game I want doesn't exist. I'm looking for Diablo in a box I guess. I want to kill dozens of minions, Get cool loot, face epic bosses, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm looking for something similar, and I have been considering the upcoming Battlestations: Second Edition. Sort of a hybrid of a heavy dungeon crawl boardgame and a light RPG. The first edition was straightup 1vMany, but the second edition has completely retweaked rules which allow 1vMany or full co-op. The theme is space scifi, I actually consider that a plus, but it may be a turnoff for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fake Name
msg tools
mb
wamsp wrote:
I'm looking for something similar, and I have been considering the upcoming Battlestations: Second Edition. Sort of a hybrid of a heavy dungeon crawl boardgame and a light RPG. The first edition was straightup 1vMany, but the second edition has completely retweaked rules which allow 1vMany or full co-op. The theme is space scifi, I actually consider that a plus, but it may be a turnoff for you.
I definitely prefer fantasy but I'll definitely take a look. Some of my group prefer Sci Fi. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Logan Holman
United States
Lehi
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arcadia Quest has been a HUGE hit with my D&D/Pathfinder group. Progression is managed through upgrade cards and the missions increase in difficulty (and fun).
Plenty of replay value and with the Beyond the Grave expansion and the upcoming Inferno and the Pets expansion, you'll have tons to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Naturalist wrote:
Starting to think the game I want doesn't exist. I'm looking for Diablo in a box I guess. I want to kill dozens of minions, Get cool loot, face epic bosses, etc.

I may have misunderstood your wishes. If you're just looking for more of a straightup action dungeon crawl, you may want to give the upcoming (they're always upcoming, aren't they?) Massive Darkness a look
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
loganholman wrote:
Arcadia Quest has been a HUGE hit with my D&D/Pathfinder group. Progression is managed through upgrade cards and the missions increase in difficulty (and fun).
Plenty of replay value and with the Beyond the Grave expansion and the upcoming Inferno and the Pets expansion, you'll have tons to play.

Also, the upcoming (of course) dragons expansions Arcadia Quest: Frost Dragon,Arcadia Quest: Fire Dragon and Arcadia Quest: Chaos Dragon) are supposed to offer a fully co-op experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Naturalist wrote:

Basically I want to replace our on and off D&D campaign with a board game that scratches the same itch but doesn't require us waiting on the slacker DM (I'm the slacker btw) thanks.

There is no game that will fully satisfy this, even the best have a lot of chopping down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev Young
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
What about a game you can play as a board game or an RPG?

So you could have your regular Coop board game session but if somebody really wanted to run an adventure you simply insert a GM and play it as an RPG, same Heroes, same rules you just act out the NPC cards that is all?

It doesn't launch till November but Legends Untold may be of interest.

You can level up after every Scenario (if you succeed anyway) and create your own Hero with no restrictions.

Though I would say it is only 30% combat as it is much more Adventuring so I don't know if that would fit the bill.

Happy Adventuring to you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerold Wallis

Missouri
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 gloomhaven, soon to be released.

I played a near-final version with the developer, and it strikes the same chords as some of my old DND sessions. Gloomhaven is even closer to melee/wizard, aka The Fantasy Trip, if you remember that RPG game since Gloomhaving is also hex-based, but updated to the current day with deckbuilding.

Gloomhaven also has a legacy world, with character development and evolving scenerios, but does not require a separate DM.

Mice and Mystics is not bad, but would probably be too basic for an experienced DND player. On the other hand, it would be a good intro for someone just starting out, and has a strong underlying theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Umeå
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Naturalist wrote:
The group has Descent, that game was a huge let down.

why was Descent such a let down? i hope you guys will enjoy Arcadia Quest (because it's sooo much fun!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Descent was a let down for our group because with the amount of effort involved it was better to just play DND. It was similar but took away the role playing.

That said. I love Imperial Assualt which I know is pretty much Descent in the Star Wars Universe. I don't play a Star Wars RPG so it gives me a tactical Mini game without having a huge involvement of a real RPG. I haven't played the campaign much I usually play skirmish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman L.
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Diablo? the game you want is https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/154910/darklight-memento.... It doesn't come out until early next year but retail release is not a certainty, so the best you can do is preorder a copy for now.

The things you described (kill minions, collect loot, fight bosses) takes place while on quests inside the dungeon.

The role playing activities (travel, crafting, shopping, personal goals, etc) take place in between quests during a 'settlement' phase; basically what happens as you travel between dungeons (of which there are 36).

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/53406598/darklight-meme...

The theme is dark akin to Diablo so hopefully your playgroup is ok with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Umeå
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
wrote:

so many awesome looking dungeon crawlers seems to be on their way, gonna ruin my economy zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fake Name
msg tools
mb
nelag_macdahmer wrote:
Naturalist wrote:
The group has Descent, that game was a huge let down.

why was Descent such a let down? i hope you guys will enjoy Arcadia Quest (because it's sooo much fun!)

The mechanics are clunky and bad. Also the fact that the GM is trying to kill us versus something like D&D where the DM helps move the story and challenge the players but doesn't focus on "winning"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fake Name
msg tools
mb
wamsp wrote:
Naturalist wrote:

I may have misunderstood your wishes. If you're just looking for more of a straightup action dungeon crawl, you may want to give the upcoming (they're always upcoming, aren't they?) Massive Darkness a look

Now this is looking very promising. Thanks for this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fake Name
msg tools
mb
jerold_wallis wrote:
+1 gloomhaven, soon to be released.

I played a near-final version with the developer, and it strikes the same chords as some of my old DND sessions. Gloomhaven is even closer to melee/wizard, aka The Fantasy Trip, if you remember that RPG game since Gloomhaving is also hex-based, but updated to the current day with deckbuilding.

Gloomhaven also has a legacy world, with character development and evolving scenerios, but does not require a separate DM.

Mice and Mystics is not bad, but would probably be too basic for an experienced DND player. On the other hand, it would be a good intro for someone just starting out, and has a strong underlying theme.

Gloomhaven is definitely interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.